CureSearch for Children's Cancer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
CureSearch for Children’s Cancer
Cure Search for Children's Cancer nonprofit logo.jpg
Founded 1987
Focus "CureSearch for Children’s Cancer funds and supports children’s cancer research and provides information and resources to all those affected by children’s cancer."
Location
Area served
United States and Canada.
Method Cancer research.[1]
Website curesearch.org

CureSearch for Children's Cancer is a national nonprofit organization that was founded in 1987.

Overview[edit]

CureSearch for Children's Cancer is a national 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation whose mission is to fund and support children's cancer research and provide information and resources to all those affected by children's cancer.[2] CureSearch supports clinical trials research at more than 175 local hospitals across the United States. These hospitals participate in National Cancer Institute sponsored clinical trials conducted by the Children's Oncology Group.[3][4]

The Foundation is organized into five geographic regions throughout the United States. Its national office is located in Bethesda, Maryland. The other regional offices are the Northeast Regional Office in Silver Spring, Maryland, the Midwest Regional Office in Wheaton, Illinois, the Southeast Regional Office in Charlotte, North Carolina, the Southwest Regional Office in Dallas, Texas and the West Coast Regional Office in Arcadia, California. There are also satellite offices in New Jersey and Ohio.[2]

Its activities include funding cancer research and organizing and sponsoring over 100 events. Events sponsored include the CureSearch Walk and Ultimate Hike.[2][5][6][7]

History[edit]

CureSearch was incorporated originally as Orion Medical Services Institute in 1987.[2]

From 1991 to 2011 CureSearch served as the federal grantee for Children's Oncology Group grants issued by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). In September 2011, CureSearch announced it would work with the COG and NCI to transition its grants management role in order to focus on fundraising and expand funding opportunities to more fully resource the entire children’s cancer community.[2][3]

Charity Statistics[edit]

The organization’s allocation of funds for the fiscal year ending February 28, 2010 lists 84% of funds for Program Expenses. The remaining 16% are allocated between three other fields: Donated Services 12%, Fund Raising Expenses 2% and Administrative Expenses 2%.[8]

Charity Navigator rates the foundation four of four stars.[9][10]

Media[edit]

In June 2011, CEO John Lehr spoke to Time (magazine) and said that there's a direct connection between financial leverage and breakthrough research.[11][12]

References[edit]

  1. ^ "About Us". CureSearch.org. Retrieved 15 September 2011. 
  2. ^ a b c d e Duncan, Geoff. "CureSearch for Children's Cancer Research - Home". CureSearch for Children's Cancer. Retrieved 2018-04-24. 
  3. ^ a b "CureSearch for Children's Cancer: Children's Oncology Group (COG)". NIH Center for Cancer Research. Retrieved 24 July 2018. 
  4. ^ "Search for a Cure: Fighting Children's Cancer". Wavelength. 2 May 2018. Retrieved 24 July 2018. 
  5. ^ "CureSearch for Children's Cancer Ultimate Hike Presentation". REI Co-op. Retrieved 24 July 2018. 
  6. ^ "CureSearch for Children's Cancer hosts annual walk". ABC News. 20 September 2015. Retrieved 24 July 2018. 
  7. ^ "CureSearch Walk for Children's Cancer hopes to make a difference". WMC Action News 5. Retrieved 24 July 2018. 
  8. ^ "Fiscal Year 2010 Annual Report". CureSearch.org. Retrieved 15 September 2011. 
  9. ^ "CureSearch National Childhood Cancer Foundation". Charity Navigator. Retrieved 20 August 2012. 
  10. ^ "Charity Navigator - Unrated Profile for Curesearch for Childrens Cancer". Charity Navigator. Retrieved 2018-04-24. 
  11. ^ Saporito, Bill (2011-06-02). "Health Special: Cancer". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2018-04-24. 
  12. ^ "Research | CureSearch". CureSearch for Children's Cancer. Retrieved 2018-04-24. 

External links[edit]