Currency Creek Game Reserve
|Currency Creek Game Reserve|
|Nearest town or city||Goolwa|
|Established||19 June 1975|
|Area||1.28 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Currency Creek Game Reserve is a protected area in the Australian state of South Australia located on the south-western side of Lake Alexandrina in the gazetted localities of Currency Creek and Goolwa North about 0.5 kilometres (0.31 miles) north-east of Goolwa.
The game reserve occupies land in sections 309 and 458 in the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Nangkita and section 425 in the Hundred of Goolwa. It was proclaimed on 19 June 1975 under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 in respect to sections 309 and 425. Section 458 was added on 27 May 1976.
In 1980, the game reserve was described as follows:
The margins of Lake Alexandrina provide suitable habitat for many species of waterbirds including grebes, crakes and rails, ibis, spoonbills and ducks. Currency Creek Game Reserve is such an environment and is reserved for the management and conservation of waterfowl, particularly native game species. Duck shooting is permitted during open seasons... Currency Creek Game Reserve is represented by two small marshy islands in the mouth of Currency Creek. Much of the Reserve is open waters but there is a significant area of Arthrocnemum spp, Atriplex paludosa low shrubland and some Phragmites australis - Typha spp herbland.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Search results for 'Currency Creek Game Reserve' with the following datasets selected – 'Suburbs and Localities', 'NPW and Conservation Properties', 'Hundreds', 'Roads' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australian. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Currency Creek Game Reserve, Laffin Point via North Goolwa, SA, Australia - listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 7620)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 21 October 1980. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Chatterton, Brian (19 June 1975). "NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT, 1972-1974: HUNDREDS OF NANGKITA AND GOOLWA— CURRENCY CREEK GAME RESERVE CONSTITUTED" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 2316. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System Reserve List" (PDF). Government of South Australia. 9 March 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Chatterton, Brian (25 May 1976). "NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT, 1972-1974: HUNDRED OF NANGKITA—ADDITION TO CURRENCY CREEK GAME RESERVE" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 2316. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- This article incorporates text by Commonwealth of Australia available under the CC BY 3.0 AU licence.