Current River State Park
|Current River State Park|
Historic buildings of the Alton Club
|Location||Newton, Shannon, Missouri, United States|
|Area||1,256.62 acres (5.0854 km2)|
|Governing body||Missouri Department of Natural Resources|
|Website||Current River State Park|
Current River State Park is a public recreation area occupying more than 1,200 acres (490 ha) of land along the Current River north of Eminence in Newton Township, Shannon County, Missouri. The state park consists of land and buildings originally developed as the Alton Club, a corporate retreat used in the 1930s and 1940s by the Alton Box Board Company of Alton, Illinois. Rustic buildings associated with the Alton Club were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Activities and amenities
The park offers fishing and boating on two small lakes, picnicking facilities, nine miles (14 km) of hiking trails, and tours of the historic buildings. It is open on weekends during warm weather months.
- "Current River State Park: Data Sheet" (PDF). Missouri Department of Natural Resources. November 2017. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "State Park Land Acquisition Summary". Missouri State Parks. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Current River State Park". Missouri Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- "Alton Club". NPGallery Digital Asset Management System. National Park Service. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- Current River State Park Missouri Department of Natural Resources