Current senior Australian Defence Organisation personnel
|Parts of this article (those related to Current Senior ADO leaders) need to be updated. (November 2011)|
provides at one time provided access to information about current senior Australian Defence Organisation personnel, but is currently out-of-date.
The Australian Defence Organisation (ADO) consists of both the uniformed military, known as the Australian Defence Force (ADF), and the civilian Department of Defence, which includes a number of civilian support organisations. Within the "civilian" organisations, there are designated uniformed positions; within the uniformed organisations, civilians are not unusual, particularly in strategic, policy, personnel, finance, acquisition and intelligence focussed areas.
Nominally, the Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) heads the ADF, and the Secretary (of the Department of Defence) heads the civilian organisations, but in fact, they jointly manage the Australian Defence Organisation under a "diarchy", and both report directly to the Minister for Defence. The ADO diarchy is a governance structure unique in the Australian Commonwealth Public Service.
Like most modern militaries, Australia has the possibility of five-star officers, but these are not active ranks, and are usually reserved for special circumstances. The highest active rank in the Australian Defence Force is reserved for the CDF. This is a four-star rank and the CDF is the only Australian officer at that level. As a result of the diarchy, the Secretary of the Department of Defence is of an equivalent level.
As stated above, this page provides access to information about current senior ADO Leaders. This includes the parliamentarians, and those (both civilian and military) at the equivalent four-, three-, and, where useful, two- and one-star levels. About half of the raw data appears on the Australian Government "Defence leaders: high profile senior personnel" page <http://www.defence.gov.au/leaders.cfm>. Rather than being merely a copy of that page, this page adds value by allowing the reader to organise (sort) the data by a number of criteria, and provides cross-references to people, positions, ranks, organisations, photographs and biographies.
- Minister for Defence;
- Minister for Defence Materiel and Science;
- Assistant Minister for Defence; and the
- Minister for Veterans' Affairs who is also the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Centenary of ANZAC.
In Australian circumstances, the five-star level is not an active rank; however, HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, ceremonially holds the ranks of Admiral of the Fleet, Field Marshal, and Marshal of the Royal Australian Air Force.
At present there are two positions at the four-star level: the Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) and the Secretary of the Department of Defence (SECDEF). The SECDEF is a civilian position which is of equal status to the military's four-star ranks.
People at the three-star (or equivalent) level are:
- The Vice Chief of the Defence Force (VCDF)
- Chiefs of the branches of the armed services:
- The Chief of Joint Operations (CJOPS)
- Heads or Chiefs of the various support organisations:
- Capability: Chief Capability Development Group (CCDG)
- Intelligence: Deputy Secretary (DEPSEC) Intelligence
- Finance: Chief Finance Officer (CFO)
- Strategy: DEPSEC Strategy
- Science & Technology: Chief Defence Scientist (CDS), (Head of the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO))
- Capability Acquisition and Sustainment: DEPSEC Capability Acquisition and Sustainment
- Information: Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Personnel: DEPSEC Defence People
- Estate and Infrastructure: DEPSEC Estate and Infrastructure
People at the two-star (or equivalent) level are:
- Capability Development
- First Assistant Secretary (FAS), Capability Investment and Resources
- Head, Capability Systems (HCS)
- Intelligence and Security
- Commander, Border Protection
- Commander, Joint Logistics (CJLOG)
- People Strategies and Policy
- Head, Defence Personnel Executive (HDPE)
- FAS, Personnel
- Reform and Governance
- Deputy Head, Strategic Reform and Governance
- Strategy and Coordination
- Head, Strategic Policy
- FAS, International Policy
- FAS, Ministerial Support and Public Affairs
- Head, Defence Health
- Head, Personnel Services
- Head, National Operations
- Head, Defence Legal
- Head, Infrastructure
- Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Air Force
- Assistant Chief of the Defence Force (Reserves) and Head Reserve and Employer Support Division
- Special Counsel to CEO DMO
- DMO Systems:
- Head, Aerospace Systems Division
- Head, Electronic and Weapon Systems Division
- Head, Maritime Systems Division
- Head, Helicopter Systems Division
- Head, Land Systems Division
- Head, Explosive Ordnance Division
- DMO Programs:
- Program Manager - AEWC
- Program Manager - NACC
- Head, Industry Division
- DMO Corporate:
- General Counsel
- Chief Finance Officer - DMO
- Head, Human Resources and Corporate Services
to be checked
- Reform and Governance: DEPSEC Strategic Reform and Governance
- Support: DEPSEC Defence Support
- Senior Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) Leaders:
People at the one-star (or equivalent) level are:
- Srategy, Coordination and Governance
- Director-General Public Affairs
Sortable table of current senior leaders in the Australian Defence Organisation
Nearly all of the people in this table are on fixed term contracts. Extensions of appointments are very rare with the exception of political and constitutional appointments.
Legend Abbreviation Organisation CASG Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group CDF Chief of the Defence Force CDG Capability Development Group CFO Chief Finance Officer Group CIOG Chief Information Officer Group DEIG Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group DoD Department of Defence DPG Defence People Group DSTG Defence Science and Technology Group I&SG Defence Intelligence and Security Group JOC Joint Operations Command S Strategy Executive VCDF Vice Chief of the Defence Force
Leaders at Levels 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6
|Name||Position/Title||Level||Organisation||Term start||Term due to mature||Notes|
|Senator The Hon. Payne, MariseMarise Payne||Minister for Defence||6||Parliament||21 September 2015||at the pleasure
of the Governor-General
|The Hon Tehan, DanDan Tehan MP||Minister for Veterans' Affairs and Minister for Defence Materiel||18 February 2016|||
|The Hon McCormack, MichaelMichael McCormack MP||Assistant Minister for Defence||18 February 2016|||
|HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh||Admiral of the Fleet,
Marshal of the Royal Australian Air Force
|Richardson, DennisDennis Richardson AO||Secretary of Defence (SECDEF)||4||DoD||18 October 2012|||
|ACM Binskin, MarkMark Binskin AC||Chief of the Defence Force (CDF)||CDF||4 July 2014||3 July 2018|||
|VADM Griggs, RayRay Griggs AO, CSC, RAN||Vice Chief of the Defence Force (VCDF)||3||VCDF||4 July 2014||3 July 2018|
|Sargeant, BrendanBrendan Sargeant||Associate Secretary of Defence||DoD||September 2013|||
|VADM Barrett, TimTim Barrett AO, CSC, RAN||Chief of Navy||Navy||1 July 2014|||
|LTGEN Campbell, AngusAngus Campbell DSC, AM||Chief of Army||Army||1 July 2014|||
|AM Davies, LeoLeo Davies AO, CSC||Chief of Air Force||Air Force||4 July 2014|||
|VADM Johnston, DavidDavid Johnston AM, RAN||Chief of Joint Operations (CJOPS)||JOC||May 2014|||
|Meekin, StephenStephen Meekin||DEPSEC Intelligence and Security (I&SG)||I&SG|||
|Prior, PhillipPhillip Prior||Chief Finance Officer (CFO)||CFOG||2006|||
|Baxter, PeterPeter Baxter||DEPSEC Strategy (DEPSEC S)||S||December 2013|||
|Dr Zelinsky, AlexAlex Zelinsky||Chief Defence Scientist||DSTG||March 2012|||
|Gillis, KimKim Gillis||DEPSEC Capability Acquisition and Sustainment||CASG||31 August 2015|||
|Dr Lawrence, PeterPeter Lawrence||Chief Information Officer (CIO)||CIOG|
|Skinner, RebeccaRebecca Skinner||DEPSEC Defence People||DPG||12 May 2004|||
|Grzeskowiak, SteveSteve Grzeskowiak||DEPSEC Estate and Infrastructure||DE&IG|||
|AVM Hupfeld, MelMel Hupfeld AO, DSC||Acting Chief Capability Development Group (CCDG)||2||CDG||15 August 2015|||
|MAJGEN Wilkie, SimoneSimone Wilkie AM||Commander, Australian Defence College (COMADC)
Head of Joint Enablers
|RADM Thomas, ClintClint Thomas AM, CSC, RAN||Commander, Joint Logistics (CJLOG)||November 2012|||
|MAJGEN Spence, IainIain Spence CSC, RFD||Head Cadet, Reserve and Employer Support Division (HCRESD)||1 January 2014||31 December 2016|||
|AVM Ian Smith||Deputy Head Strategic Reform and Governance||2||SRG||2010|
|unknown||Head, Strategic Policy||2||S||2009|
|Orme, NeilNeil Orme PSM||Head, Force Structure Review||2||S|
|AVM Hart, NeilNeil Hart AM|||
|Kelley, RoxanneRoxanne Kelley||FAS, Governance and Reform||1 April 2015|||
|Deputy Chief of Joint Operations (DCJOPS)||JOC||November 2013|
|MAJGEN Cantwell, JohnJohn Cantwell||Commander of Australian Forces in
the Middle East Area of Operations
|MAJGEN John Caligari||Head, Capability Systems (HCS)||2||CDG||2012|
|Dr Paul Taloni||FAS, Capability Investment and Resources||2||CDG||2008|
|MAJGEN Richard Wilson||Director, Defence Intelligence Organisation (DIO)||2||I&S||2009||photo|
|RADM The Hon. Slattery, M. J.M. J. Slattery RANR||Judge Advocate General (JAG) ADF||2||30 July 2014||29 July 2017|||
|AVM Smart, TracyTracy Smart AM||
||3 December 2015|||
|unknown||FAS, Personnel (FASPERS)||DPG|
|RADM van Balen, MichaelMichael van Balen AO, RAN||Deputy Chief of Navy (DCN)||Navy||2013|||
|RADM Mayer, StuartStuart Mayer CSC, RAN||Commander Australian Fleet (COMAUSFLT)||12 June 2014|||
|MAJGEN Burr, RickRick Burr DSC, AM, MVO||Deputy Chief of Army (DCA)||2||Army||4 January 2015|||
|MAJGEN Gilmore, GusGus Gilmore AO, DSC||Commander Forces Command||23 January 2014|||
|MAJGEN Smith, StuartStuart Smith AO, DSC||Commander, 1st Division||31 October 2012|
|MAJGEN Porter, StephenStephen Porter AM||Commander, 2nd Division||1 January 2015|||
|MAJGEN Sengelman, JeffJeff Sengelman DSC, AM, CSC||Special Operations Commander Australia||December 2014|||
|AVM McDonald, WarrenWarren McDonald AM, CSC||Deputy Chief of Air Force (DCAF)||RAAF||July 2015|||
|AVM Turnbull, GavinGavin Turnbull CSC, AM||Air Commander Australia (ACAUST)||5 September 2014|||
|AVM Tony Austin||Head, Defence Health||2||Support||bio|
|Neville Tomkins||Head, Personnel Services||2||Support|
|MAJGEN||Head, National Operations||2||Support||2007|
|Mark Cunliffe||Head, Defence Legal||2||Support|
|John Owens||Head, Infrastructure||2||Support|
|Kieran Gleeson||Chief Operating Officer (COO)||2||Support|
|AVM Clive Rossiter||Head, Aerospace Systems||2||DMO||bio|
|Shireane McKinnie||Head, Electronic and Weapon Systems||2||DMO|
|RADM Peter Marshall||Head, Maritime Systems||2||DMO||2010||bio|
|MAJGEN Tony Fraser||Head, Helicopter Systems||2||DMO||2006||bio photo|
|Colin Sharp||Head, Land Systems||2||DMO|
|Anthony Klenthis||Head, Explosive Ordnance Division||2||DMO||bio|
|AVM Chris Deeble||Program Manager - AEWC||2||DMO||bio|
|AVM John Harvey||Program Manager - NACC||2||DMO||bio|
|Mark Reynolds||Head, Industry Division||2||DMO||2009||bio|
|Gillian Marks||General Counsel||2||DMO|
|Steven Wearn||CFO - DMO||2||DMO|
|BRIG Peter Lambert (ret'd)||Head, Human Resources and Corporate Services||2||DMO|
- Information about previous senior leaders can usually be found on the pages about the positions the current leaders occupy, or on pages pointed to by those pages.
- For example, Australia has had only three Field Marshals, two of which were honorary. None of them were appointed to Field Marshal to fulfill a military role, and the Duke of Edinburgh's appointment is purely ceremonial - he has never worn the uniform of an Australian Field Marshal.
- These positions are Statutory Appointments.
- Note that "Deputy Secretaries" are generally civilians - career senior public servants at "SES Band 3" level. "Chiefs" are generally three-star military personnel.
- Note that "First Assistant Secretaries" are generally civilians - career senior public servants at "SES Band 2" level. "Heads" and "Commanders" are generally two-star military personnel. Note, however, that is not always the case.
- "Joint Logistics Command". Vice Chief of the Defence Force Group. Department of Defence. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- DMO Leadership Team
- Reports directly to the Minister of Defence.
- Directly responsible to CDF
- Reports directly to the Secretary and CDF
- The CEO DMO is directly accountable to the Minister for DMO's performance, but is also accountable to the Secretary and CDF.
- Notable recent exceptions to the extension of contract are Peter Leahy, Chief of Army (Australia) 2002-2008, and Angus Houston, Chief of the Defence Force (Australia) 2005-2011.
- "Department of Defence Ministers". Department of Defence. Australian Government. 2016.
- "Ministerial Swearing-in Ceremony". 18 February 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Dennis Richardson AO". Biography of the Secretary of the Department of Defence. Department of Defence. 2016.
- "Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin, AC". Chief of the Defence Force. Department of Defence. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Associate Secretary: Mr Brendan Sargeant". Defence Leaders. Department of Defence. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Vice Admiral Tim Barrett". Our people: Biographies. Royal Australian Navy. 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Lieutenant General Angus J. Campbell, DSC, AM". Our people: Chief of Army. Australian Army. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Chief of Air Force: Air Marshal Leo Davies, AO, CSC". Our people: Our leaders. Royal Australian Air Force. 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Vice Admiral David Lance Johnston AM RAN". Chief Joint Operations. Department of Defence. 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Deputy Secretary Intelligence and Security". Department of Defence, Government Directory. Australian Government. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Chief Finance Officer: Mr Phillip Prior". Chief Finance Officer Group, Department of Defence. Australian Government. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Biography - Peter Baxter". Strategy Executive, Department of Defence. Australian Government. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Our leadership: Dr Alex Zelinsky". Discover DST Group, Department of Defence. Australian Government. 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Biography - Kim Gillis, Deputy Secretary CASG" (PDF). CASG leadership team. Department of Defence. 2015. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Ms Rebecca Skinner: Deputy Secretary Defence People". Defence People Group, Department of Defence. Australian Government. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Executives". Defence Estate and Infrastructure Group, Department of Defence. Australian Government. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Biography - Air Vice Marshal Mel Hupfeld" (PDF). Who we are: Capability Development Group. Department of Defence. 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Commander ADC". Australian Defence College Leadership Team. Department of Defence. 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Biography: Major General Simone Louise Wilkie" (PDF). Regional Security. Department of Defence. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "Biography: Joint Logistics Command". Vice Chief of the Defence Force Group. Department of Defence. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "Biography - HCRESD". Vice Chief of the Defence Force Group. Department of Defence. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Defence Reserves Support Council". Australian Government Boards. Australian Government. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- McMeekin, Alison (August 2015). "Agents of Change". Defence. Department of Defence. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Report for the period 1 January to 31 December 2014" (PDF). Department of Defence. Australian Government. 2015. p. 2. ISSN 0817-9956. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Commander Joint Health". Department of Defence. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "Rear Admiral Michael van Balen: Deputy Chief of Navy". Royal Australian Navy. Department of Defence. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Staples, Natalie (12 June 2014). "Fleet Commander farewelled as new Admiral takes the weight". Navy Daily. Department of Defence. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Deputy Chief of Army". Army: Our people: Leaders. Department of Defence. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Major General PW (Gus) Gilmore, AO, DSC". Commander Forces Command. Australian Army. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Commander 2nd Division". Australian Army: Our leaders. Department of Defence. 1 September 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Special Operations Commander Australia". Australian Army: Our leaders. Department of Defence. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Special Operations Commander Australia". Royal Australian Air Force: Our leaders. Department of Defence. July 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Air Vice-Marshal Gavin Turnbull- Air Commander Australia (ACAUST)". Royal Australian Air Force: Our leaders. Department of Defence. September 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2016.