Curricular Practical Training

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization for F-1 visa non-immigrant foreign students in the United States while enrolled in a college-level degree program.

CPT permission is granted through the institution's International Students Office or equivalent upon approval of advisor, pursuant to regulations established by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.[1][2]

CPT Eligibility Criteria and Important instructions[edit]

One must have stayed in US for at least 9 months in order to be eligible for CPT[citation needed]. CPT must be done before graduation[citation needed]. It can be done during vacation[citation needed]. It can either be a full-time or part-time[citation needed]. If you have 12 months or more of full-time CPT (visit Practical Training for more detail), you are ineligible for OPT, but part-time CPT is fine and will not stop you from doing OPT. If you are doing MBA, you may not work for more than 9 months in order to be eligible for 11 months of OPT[citation needed]. CPT is like an academic course[citation needed]. One may get an exemption for one course if they take up CPT[citation needed]. The CPT course fee has to be paid before the start date of CPT program and the applications for summer may not be processed after every July 1 in some schools and this varies between universities. If one still wish to work after summer break, that will be considered as a different application and may need permissions from their concerned departments[citation needed]. The Students who took thesis may not be eligible to apply for CPT if they are done with their course work[citation needed].