Sir (Fazalbhoy) Currimbhoy Ebrahim, 1st Baronet CBE (25 October 1839 – 26 September 1924) was a Gujarati Khoja businessman of the Nizari Ismaili faith based in Bombay credited with founding E. Pabaney & Co, whose shipowning family held trading interests as far as the Arabian peninsula and the African coast. Khojas based in Bombay, who had been active in Canton (the capital city of the Guangdong Province in southern China) before the Opium War and long monopolized India's overseas merchandising, continued to maintain a considerable stake in the opium trade through E. Pabaney & Co, with branch offices springing up in Hong Kong and Shanghai during the latter half of the 19th century.
He had 10 children through his first marriage with Bai Foolbai Gangji and 11 children through his second marriage to Bai Foolbia Sajan.
Sir Currimbhoy Ebrahim was knighted during the Prince and Princess of Wales's Indian tour of 1905 and created a baronet in 1910 and further granted lands to support that dignity by the Currimbhoy Ebrahim Baronetcy Act 1913 following the precedent set by the Cowasji Jehangir Baronetcy Act. The 'Currimbhoy Ebrahim Khoja Orphanage trust' started by him, continue to own large pieces of land in / around Mumbai. including the Currimbhoy manor (Bhulabhai Desai road, Mumbai) and the Poona bungalow (Pune).
- Charles, Mosley (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition. Wilmington, Delaware, USA: Genealogical Books. p. 1266.
- Ina Baghdiantz McCabe; Gelina Harlaftis; Ioanna Pepelasis Minoglou (11 January 2005). Diaspora Entrepreneurial Networks: Four Centuries of History. Berg Publishers. p. 227. ISBN 1-85973-880-X. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Sir Currimbhoy Ebrahim - Person Page 39546". The Peerage. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "No. 27913". The London Gazette. 15 May 1906. p. 3326.
- "No. 28451". The London Gazette. 30 December 1910. p. 9706.
- Ilbert, Courtenay (1 January 1915). "British India". Journal of the Society of Comparative Legislation. 15: 7–13. JSTOR 752375.
- "ails FAZALBHOY CURRIMBHOY versus OFFICIAL TRUSTEE OF MAHARASHTRA & ORS". Supreme court cases - 1979 AIR 687 1979 SCR (2) 699 1979 SCC (3) 189. Supreme Court of India. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Desai, V. "Currimbhoy Ebrahim Baronetcy ... vs Commissioner Of Income-Tax, ... on 16 August, 1962". Mumbai Court. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
of Pabaney Villa
Mahomedbhoy Currimbhoy Ebrahim
|This biography of a baronet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|