||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Kirkwood in 2006
|Birth name||Curtis Matthew Kirkwood|
January 10, 1959 |
Amarillo, Texas, U.S.
|Origin||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
Curt has been the lead singer and founding member for the alternative rock group Meat Puppets since 1980. He formed the band along with his brother Cris on bass, and drummer Derrick Bostrom. The trio went in a hiatus in 1996 after a long career where the band became hailed as one of the premier and innovative indie bands as well as briefly achieving mainstream success in the early 1990s.
He re-formed the Meat Puppets in 1999 with Kyle Ellison (guitar), Andrew Duplantis (bass) and Shandon Sahm (drums) to complete one studio album, Golden Lies, released in 2000. The new lineup disbanded in 2002 after the departure of Duplantis. After the Meat Puppets, Curt toured as a solo act before banding together with Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic and Sublime drummer Bud Gaugh to form Eyes Adrift. They released a self-titled album in 2002 and toured the United States before going separate ways. Curt then formed another band, Volcano, which only released one album, before he decided to focus on his solo career. His first solo album Snow was released in October 2005.
He is also an artist and created the cover art for several Meat Puppets albums, as well as for Stephen Beachy's novel The Whistling Song. In 2006, the Meat Puppets re-formed with Cris back on bass and drummers Ted Marcus and Shandon Sahm serving as replacements for Derrick Bostrom. The band has since released four new albums, Rise to Your Knees (2007), Sewn Together (2009), Lollipop (2011) and Rat Farm (2013).
- Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York (1994)
- Eyes Adrift - Eyes Adrift (2002)
- Volcano - Volcano (2004)
- Curt Kirkwood - Snow (2005)
- The Dean Ween Group - The Deaner Album (2016)
- David Holthouse , "Shooting Star", Phoenix New Times, November 12, 1998. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- Interview with Curt Kirkwood by Jarrod Dicker
- Meat Puppets' new official website, maintained by the band and Anodyne Records.
- Meat Puppets' original website, maintained by original drummer Derrick Bostrom
- Live Repository
- Moonglampers Ramble - a music blog primarily focusing on live Meat Puppets.
- Little Dog Records' Curt Kirkwood Page
- Silver Wonder Press, Kirkwood designed cover for book by Lee Ranaldo, "Hello From the American Desert"