Curtis Lovell II
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Curtis Lovell II|
|Occupation||magician, escapologist, stunt performer, illusionist|
Curtis Lovell II is an American illusionist and escape artist. He is known for his high-profile escape performances and his events for corporations. The Washington Times interviewed him for a political piece subtitled "Houdini Factor". He was referred to in an article in weekly entertainment newspaper Citizen LA as "the premiere [sic] escape artist of our time." He has also received coverage for his stunts, including a performance with actor Tony Curtis and Larry King.
When Lovell was seven, his father performed a magic trick by pulling a coin from the young boy's ear. This inspired him to become a magical entertainer. At an early age, Lovell mastered the art of close up magic.
In the Death Trap, created for a nightlife/entertainment complex in Singapore, Lovell attracted thousands of spectators and media on 18 subsequent nights when he was chained up and lowered into the Singapore River. He has performed Houdini's Cube of Death trick hundreds of times, including 29 times at a shopping entertainment complex in the Philippines, as well as for radio and Television Publicity for USA Network and News Radio.
Lovell was buried alive during a performance on Halloween night 2008 and 2012. The stunt attracted over 2000 spectators, as well as CBS and KCAL9 News stations, local newspapers, and radio shows including Casey Kasem's Top 20.
He has appeared as a guest on television programs such as: Spike TV for MANSWERS, where he explained how to escape from handcuffs. He appeared on the reality show The Simple Life on E! Entertainment to cut Paris Hilton in half.
2014 OVATION TV: The Art of: Magic  Show Description: Not every magic trick is a sleight of hand. Sometimes the greatest trick is putting your life on the line for your craft. Escape Artist Curtis Lovell demonstrates how he stays focused when performing his dangerous escapes.
2012–2013 kuperman.tv: Living in La La Land  is a 53-episode docu-reality show following the journey of six Israeli performing artists, extremely famous in their own country, to Los Angeles in order to break into the international music market. Curtis Lovell guest appears on six episodes as a mentor, instructor, consultant to a musical artist. Also Lovell performs escapes and illusions.
2009 MYNETWORK-TV: MASTERS OF ILLUSION Four-minute guest appearance where Lovell performed a water escape.
2006 E! ENTERTAINMENT: THE SIMPLE LIFE - WITH PARIS HILTON Season 4 - "Murray Family" The concept was themed around auditioning entertainers for a party that Paris was throwing. Lovell cut Paris in half and was hired back to perform for the party.
2007 USA NETWORK: CHARACTER ROAD TRIP Five-minute spotlight around Lovell and his Cube of Death escape.
2007 SPIKE TV: MANSWERS Season 1 - "How to escape from handcuffs." Lovell explained the art of escaping from police handcuffs.
- February, 2012 -Guard A Heart -Pre-Oscar fundraiser honoring Larry King - Hollywood California 
Guard A Heart presented the Guardian of Hearts award to Larry King in recognition of his contribution to saving lives through the Larry King Cardiac Foundation. The Award was presented at a pre-Oscar party at the Avalon Ballroom in Hollywood on February 25, 2012. The evening included performances by variety of entertainers and acts such as Midnight Red, Josh Sussman, Savannah Robison and International Escape Artist Curtis Lovell II. Lovell, performed a Houdini style escape as an opening act for Larry King and his guests.
- October, 2009 -U.S. Military Challenge - California
- Lovell was challenged by the United States Marines to an escape. Lovell accepted their challenge and was strapped into a regulation straitjacket by two U.S. military officers in front of thousands of spectators. It took Lovell over 3 minutes to free himself from the straitjacket. The challenge was part of The City of Grand Terrace, California, Halloween Haunt in Richard Rollins Park.
- June, 2009 -The Magic of Tony Curtis - California
- Produced by the Jules Verne Festival 1950’s movie actor Tony Curtis was presented the "Legendarie award". As a show opener, Lovell recreated the water escape that Tony Curtis performed in the movie Houdini. A VIP dinner at the Los Angeles Athletic Club followed, where Curtis strapped Lovell into a straitjacket in front of several hundred people.
- 2008 Buried Alive - California
- Successfully escaped being buried alive on Halloween evening 2008. He was shackled and locked into a coffin by a local police officer. Then over 1,000 pounds of dirt was poured on the coffin. It took Lovell 16 minutes to successfully escape. The successful attempt echoed an escape performend by Harry Houdini. This escape received coverage from CBS, KCAL9, and I.E Weekly.
- 2006 The Death Trap - Singapore
- Lovell performed 18 magic escape shows for an entertainment complex in Singapore. Lovell was chained and shackled onto two large steel plates and lowered into the Singapore river by a crane. The goal was to gain publicity for the entertainment complex, and Lovell attracted the attention of 2,500 guests nightly, five major print organizations, three news networks, an international news station and radio stations.
- 2006 Escape From Reality - Philippines
- Lovell performed 29 shows at a shopping mall complex based on the theme of escaping fears and defying death. Lovell performed an effect similar to Houdini’s water torture cell called the Cube of Death. Lovell attracted thousands of guests nightly, sometimes more than 4,000 onlookers.
International comedy magic shows
2007 Public Challenges
The David Blaine Challenge Psychic John Edward Challenge. Lovell publicly challenged Blaine to a magic duel. Lovell received national press coverage including: television, print, internet, radio and on major blogs and chat rooms.
Magic Instructional Programs
2008 New Village Charter School (elective course credit) Star Education 2007 School Retirement Employees Association Columbus, Ohio and Los Angeles Public Libraries
POOF! You’re a magician ~Learn magic with everyday objects is an instructional DVD that stars Lovell teaching magic to the viewers. Distributor: Passion River Films - NYC
- Harper, Jennifer (October 13, 2009). "Inside the Beltway: Houdini Factor". The Washington Times. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Hutchinson, Heidi. "Magic Man Interview: Curtis Eugene Lovell". Citizen L.A. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Gray Painter, Alysia (June 11, 2009). "Derring-Do! Watery Feats! "Houdini" Hijinks!". NBC4. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Curtis Eugene Lovell II - Magician, Escape Artist". Tapley Entertainment. Retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Ausmus, Kevin (October 2008). "Curtis Lovell II To Be Buried Alive Escapologist to Temp Fate on Halloween Night". Inland Empire Weekly. Archived from the original on 5 November 2010. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- Weeks, John (February 26, 2009). "A magic kind of place". The Sun. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- "Curtis Lovell Escapes Death on Halloween". Inside Magic. November 2, 2008. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- KUPAN TV http://www.kuperman.tv/Living-in-La-La-Land-Show
- ""Character Road Trip" Trailer". Trailer Mine. 2007. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "International Trade Show Entertainer & Escape Artist - Curtis Lovell II". Festivals and Shows. 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- http://magic.about.com/b/2012/02/29/curtis-lovell-ii-escapes-at-pre-oscar-benefit.html[permanent dead link]
- "Curtis Lovell and Tony Curtis Live". Inside Magic. May 12, 2009. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Staff (October 16, 2007). "BROADCAST BITS: Magician to show up on Spike". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Kawamoto, Wayne (November 5, 2008). "Curtis Lovell Conquers "Buried Alive"". About.com. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Bierly, Mandi (September 16, 2008). "Best 'buried alive!' scenes". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Television Escape Artist Curtis Lovell II". Los Angeles. 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Kawamoto, Wayne. "Is Blaine’s Greatest Illusion Fooling the Public?". About.com. Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- "Curtis Lovell To Confront David Blaine On The Radio". iTricks.com. December 10, 2006. Retrieved 21 February 2012.