Curtis Senior High School
This article does not cite any sources. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
For the school of the same name in Staten Island, see Curtis High School.
|George R. Curtis Senior High School|
8425 40th W
|School district||University Place School District|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Website||Curtis Senior High School|
Curtis Senior High School is a public high school located in University Place, Washington.
Curtis Senior High School is a part of the University Place School District and the only high school in the district. The school's namesake comes from the former UPSD Superintendent George R. Curtis. Opened in 1957 as a joint Junior-Senior High School at the corner of 40th and Grandview. In 1969 a high school facility was built about 500 yards east of the junior high that then extended up 40th Street. After this the original site became just a junior high school. In 2009 the original junior high was torn down and a new facility was built about 400 yards northeast of that site.
There are currently 105 staff members total.
Curtis Senior High School offers many Advanced Placement classes such as US History, Chemistry, Physics, Government, Foreign Languages, English Language and Composition, English Literature, European History, Psychology, Biology, Statistics, Photo, and Environmental Science. Curtis Senior High School also offers a running start program for juniors and seniors to take classes at local colleges such as Tacoma Community College, and Pierce College.
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
- Gary Larson - creator and writer of The Far Side
- Singor Mobley - professional football player
- Beau Baldwin - offensive coordinator, University of California, Berkeley
- Mike Levenseller - football player
- Adrienne Martelli - 2012 Summer Olympics bronze medalist in rowing, women's quadruple sculls
- Scott Cairns - poet and Guggenheim Fellow
- Isaiah Thomas - NBA player for the Washington Wizards, two-time All-Star
- Andrea Geubelle - 2016 Summer Olympics track and field, triple jump
- Aaron Best - football head coach, Eastern Washington University
- "Curtis Senior High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 18, 2019.