From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Pragmatic Revolt in American History: Carl Becker and Charles Beard (1959)
- The American Image of the Old World (1963)
- Hawthorne in England: Selections from "Our Old Home" and "The English Note-Books" (1965)
- Conscience, Science & Security: The Case Of Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer (1965) editor
- Spirit of American Government by J. Allen Smith (1965) editor
- Intellectual History in America (1968) editor, two volumes, Contemporary Essays on Puritanism, the Enlightenment & Romanticism, and From Darwin to Niebuhr
- Divided We Stand: Reflections on the Crisis at Cornell (1970) editor with David I. Grossvogel
- The New Heavens and New Earth: Political Religion in America (1973)
- The Veracious Imagination: Essays on American History, Literature and Biography (1981)
- Making American Tradition: Visions & Revisions from Ben Franklin to Alice Walker (1990)
- Fleming, Thomas (July 6, 1986). "Inventing Our Probable Past". The New York Times.
- "Jefferson's Love Life Doesn't Equal History". The New York Times. April 25, 1995. pp. Section A; Page 22; Column 4; Editorial Desk.