Vertical service code
A vertical service code (VSC) is a sequence of digits and the signals star (*) and number sign (#) dialed on a telephone keypad or rotary dial to enable or disable certain telephony service features. Some vertical service codes require the dialing of a Telephone number after the code sequence. On a touch tone telephone, the codes are usually initiated with the star key, resulting in the commonly used name star codes. On rotary dial telephones the star is replaced by dialing 11.
In North American telephony, VSCs were developed by AT&T Corp. as Custom Local Area Signaling Services (CLASS) codes, sometimes LASS, in the 1960s and 70s. Their use became ubiquitous throughout the 1990s and eventually became a recognized standard. As CLASS was an AT&T trademark, the term vertical service code was adopted by the North American Numbering Plan Administration. The use of vertical is a somewhat dated reference to older switching methods and the fact that these services can only be accessed by a local telephone subscriber, going up (vertically) inside the local central office instead of out (horizontally) to another telephone company.
The following are the vertical service codes generally recommended by the North American Numbering Plan Administration for use in the NANP territories. Not all of these services are available in all areas, and some are only available to landline or cellular telephones.
|Vertical service code||Service definition|
|*30||Not Supported||Cancel forwarding|
|*31||Not Supported||Automatic forwarding[note 1]|
|*32||Not Supported||Notify[note 1]|
|*51||1151||Intercom ring 1 (short short)[note 2]|
|*52||1152||Intercom ring 2 (short short long)[note 2]|
|*53||1153||Intercom ring 3 (short long short)[note 2]|
|*57||1157||Malicious caller identification|
|*62||1162||Selective call acceptance|
|*63||1163||Selective call forwarding|
|*67||1167||Number display blocking (per call)[note 3]|
|*68||1168||Activate call forwarding on busy|
|*69||1169||Last-call return (incoming)|
|*70||1170||Call waiting disable[note 3]|
|*71||1171||Conditional forward: No answer[note 4]|
|*71||1171||Usage sensitive three-way call|
|*72||1172||Unconditional forward: All calls|
|*73||1173||Call forward: Cancel|
|*74||1174||Speed calling (8 numbers)|
|*75||1175||Speed calling (30 numbers)|
|*77||1177||Anonymous call rejection[note 5]|
|*78||1178||Do not disturb|
|*79||1179||Do not disturb disable|
|*80||1180||Call blocking disable|
|*81||1181||Priority call disable|
|*82||1182||Caller ID (per call)[note 3][note 6]|
|*83||1183||Selective call forwarding disable|
|*85||1185||Caller ID disable|
|*86||1186||Continuous redial cancel[note 7]
|*87||1187||Anonymous call rejection disable[note 5]|
|*88||1188||Deactivate call forwarding on busy|
|*89||1189||Last-call return cancel[note 7]|
|*90||1190||Conditional forward: Busy line|
|*92||1192||Conditional forward: No answer|
|*94||1192||Directed call pickup|
- Code used for Cellular One service
- Found in Pac Bell territory. Intercom ring causes a distinctive ring to be generated on the current line. Hold keeps a call connected until another extension is picked up.
- Applied once before each call. Caller ID to 8xx NPA numbers and 911 cannot be blocked.
- Used by certain carriers (like Verizon Wireless), but this use is non-standard.
- ACR blocks calls from those who blocked Caller ID (used in C&P territory, for instance)
- Has been mandated to be the nationwide code for, "Send CLID info regardless of the default setting on this phone line."
- Cancels further return attempts
- On the FiOS networks owned by Frontier Communications and Verizon dialing *86 connects to the subscriber to their phone's voicemail system.
- Mobile dial code
- Pat Fleet – Prompt voice for most U.S. AT&T implementations of VSC features
- Public switched telephone network
- Short code
- Signalling System 7
- "Vertical Service Codes – Code Definitions". NANPA.com. Neustar. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- voyager (1995-04-15). Erik Bloodaxe, ed. "The #hack FAQ". Phrack Magazine. p. 7. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- "Vertical Service Codes – Code Assignments". NANPA.com. Neustar. Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- OBi Feature Star Codes Directory