Cutie and the Boxer
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Cutie and the Boxer|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Zachary Heinzerling|
|Produced by||Zachary Heinzerling|
Lydia Dean Pilcher
|Music by||Yasuaki Shimizu|
|Edited by||David Teague|
Ex Lion Tamer
Little Magic Films
Cutie and the Boxer is a 2013 American documentary film produced, shot, and directed by Zachary Heinzerling. The film focuses on the chaotic 40-year marriage of two artists, the boxing painter Ushio Shinohara and his wife Noriko and features original artwork by the couple. Heinzerling said of the couple: "When I first met [the Shinoharas], I was just struck by the raw spirit and beauty that emanates from their faces, their lifestyle, their art, everything about them has so much purpose and character. Even if you don’t speak Japanese, even if you have no previous knowledge of their artwork or who they are, you’re immediately captivated by their presence. They live in a world that’s kind of a time warp that hearkens back to the ‘70s New York SoHo art scene that is sort of canonized in history, certainly from my point of view."
The film is about the difficult 40-year relationship between Ushio and Noriko Shinohara, Japanese-born husband and wife are both artists who live in Brooklyn, New York. Ushio Shinohara is a small player in the contemporary art world, known for painting with a pair of paint-soaked boxing gloves and his oversized motorcycle sculptures made of cardboard. Their family has struggled financially for many years. Noriko, who is more than 20 years younger than Ushio, set aside her own art career to raise their son Alex and serve as Ushio’s unpaid assistant, receptionist and chef. Noriko has also worked on her own art, a character she created named Cutie. Cutie's story is told in a comic-book narrative, where she comes to New York and falls for a broke older artist named Bullie. By the end of the movie, Ushio has begun to recognize that he’s not the only artist in the family and they hold a joint art opening at a SoHo gallery.
The film and film director have been nominated and won a number of awards, including:
- Won the 2013 Sundance Film Festival "Best Director Award" for Zachary Heinzerling for directing Cutie and the Boxer. The committee cited: "It's rare to see a film so beautifully crafted in all aspects. It captures the complex nature of love and art in a mesmerizing and deeply human way." The film was nominated for Grand Jury Prize for the film during the same festival.
- They also won second place in Audience Awards during the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival
- It earned Special Mention in Grierson Awards during the 2013 London Film Festival with the citation: "For the original and creative way in which the filmmakers crafted an intimate portrait of a relationship."
- During the 2013 Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, director Zachary Heinzerling won the "Charles E. Guggenheim Emerging Artist Award"
- It was nominated in 2014 for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 86th Academy Awards, but lost out to 20 Feet from Stardom.
- Cutie and the Boxer at Box Office Mojo
- Simon, Alissa (2013-01-20). "Cutie and the Boxer". Variety. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Leon, Melissa (2014-02-05). "It's Complicated For Cutie & the Boxer". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Vineyard, Jennifer. "The Best TV Shows and Movies New to Netflix, Amazon and More in June". The New York Times. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- ""Cutie and the Boxer": Unforgettable portrait of an unusual marriage". Salon. 2013-08-15. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- Thompson, Ellen (2013-08-15). "Cutie and the Boxer Director Zachary Heinzerling | Milk". Milk. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "TFI-Supported 'Cutie and the Boxer' Nominated for Best Documentary Oscar | Tribeca". Tribeca. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- "Full Frame Documentary Fest Announces 2013 Winners". Deadline. 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2018-07-19.
- U.S. Site
- Official website
- Cutie and the Boxer on IMDb
- Cutie and the Boxer at Box Office Mojo
- Cutie and the Boxer at Metacritic
|This article about a biographical documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|