Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (CVCA) is a private, Christian junior high and high school in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. This college preparatory, interdenominational Christian academy is located on 70 acres (280,000 m2) in northern Summit County. CVCA is committed to academic excellence in a supportive, distinctively Christian environment. Founded in 1968 by a group of seven men concerned about the continuing education of their children, the school now serves over 200 churches of many denominations throughout a six-county area.
CVCA's mission statement is "Educating and Cultivating Servants for Christ."
Schools Of Distinction
CVCA offers four Schools Of Distinction: Engineering, Business and Entrepreneurship, Medical Professions, and Vocational Ministry. These schools expose select juniors and seniors to professional fields and potential majors. Students complete intensive courses, participate in professional mentoring, and experience hands-on learning via internships, shadowing experiences, competitions, guest lecturers, and projects.
CVCA offers Academic support to those who need it thorough HOPE, for its middle school students and Oasis for its high school students.
With multiple and diverse offerings, Jterm engages students in experiential learning opportunities, challenging students in their areas of interest through educational travel, service or mission trips, enriched courses, and career experience opportunities.
Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy offers AP courses in: Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Economics, English Literature & Composition, European History, Spanish, Statistics, and U.S. History.
CVCA students take an average of 200 AP tests per year, with an average of 75% tests resulting in a score of 3, 4, or 5, earning college credit for high school studies.
Co-curricular activities complement the CVCA curriculum by developing interests outside of scholastic achievement. These include Academic Challenge, Chess Club, history club, Christian Service Clubs, Forensics (Speech & Debate), Future Business Leaders of America, Internships, Language Clubs, Mission Trips, Performing Arts, Robotics Team, Royal Theater, Short-Term Student Exchange Programs, Student Government, and Yearbook. Student athletes can also choose from 14 sports in junior high and senior high school.
As part of our one-to-one program, every student at CVCA is given a Chromebook – totaling more than 750 units – as a learning tool in and out of the classroom. Each classroom is equipped with interactive SMART boards and projectors. Every Chromebook is managed and outfitted with the full suite of Google Apps for Education, enabling students to work anywhere and collaborate with other students and teachers in real time.
Our video, graphic design and photography classes all use Adobe’s suites of applications for high end design and editing. With a dedicated fiber line providing internet access to the school’s wired and wireless networks, students and staff have access to the internet and CVCA network anywhere on campus.
Every semester, CVCA students have the opportunity to serve the community for a minimum of eight hours either through their church, the school, or volunteer organizations. Projects have ranged from serving on mission trips or helping in Sunday School to assisting at therapeutic riding facilities and facilities for the physically challenged.
Ohio High School Athletic Association state championships
- Boys Soccer – 2004, 2007, 2010
- Girls Track and Field – 2008, 2009
- Girls Cross Country – 2008
- Boys Tennis – 2009
- Its alumni also includes four-time Ohio State Champion Wrestler, Harry Lester. Lester is a two-time world bronze medalist in the Olympic sport of Greco-Roman Wrestling. He is now retired, and was recently ranked third in the USA for his weight class.
- Ben Zemanski (soccer) – professional player for the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer
- Ben Speas (soccer) – professional player for the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer
- Justin "Harry" Lester (wrestling) – 2012 USA Olympic Wrestling Team, Men's Greco-Roman
Notes and references
- "Mission Statement". Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "Quick Facts about CVCA". Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Jterm". Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Technology". Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Student Service". Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- Warsinskey, Tim (1 March 2013). "OHSAA state wrestling notebook: CVCA legend Justin Lester watches one in making - Nathan Tomasello". Cleveland.com. The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 10 July 2015.