|Headquarters||Tysons Corner, Virginia, United States|
|Reggie Aggarwal (Chief Executive Officer)|
|Products||Event Management, Cvent Supplier Network, Strategic Meetings Management, Web Surveys|
Number of employees
Cvent, Inc. is a privately held software-as-a-service (SaaS) company that specializes in meetings management technology. The company offers web-based software for meeting site selection, online event registration, event management, email marketing, and web surveys.
Cvent was founded in September 1999 by Reggie Aggarwal. That same year it received $17 million in venture capital and grew its staff to 125 employees. Following the dot-com bubble burst and the September 11 attacks, Cvent faced near-bankruptcy and was forced to cut 80% of its staff.
The company became profitable again by 2003. In 2011, Cvent was growing by 50% a year and received $136 million of funding from New Enterprise Associates in July 2011, which, at the time, was the largest investment in a U.S. software company since 2007.
In 2012, Cvent entered the mobile market with the acquisition of two event application developers. On June 13, Cvent announced its acquisition of Austin-based startup Seed Labs, recently rebranded as CrowdTorch, for $4.2 million. Seven days later, the company announced its acquisition of Portland-based application developer CrowdCompass for $10 million. CrowdTorch develops mobile applications for consumer-oriented events and CrowdCompass develops mobile applications for business-related events.
Cvent filed an S-1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on July 8, 2013, proposing an initial public offering of an estimated $5.6 million in shares. It went public on the New York Stock Exchange on August 9, 2013, at an initial price of $21. The company raised $117.6 million and received a market capitalization of more than a billion dollars. The IPO was referenced in regards to its use of the JOBS Act, which enabled the company to offer an IPO much more quickly.
Software and services
In July 2000 Cvent introduced its first SaaS product, a web-based tool for event planners to manage invitations and collect registration fees. In 2006, it introduced a product for conducting online surveys, which was followed by the introduction of the Cvent Supplier Network two years later. The Supplier Network is a free, online marketing place that connects meeting planners with venues and services. In 2009, the company began offering professional services.
An app development tool, CrowdTorch, was launched in 2009. Cvent also produces a Destination Guide, a free, online, 8,000-page travel guide designed for meeting planners with information about 800 different destinations. A "Strategic Meetings Management" helps users manage budgets.
- "Cvent Leadership". Cvent. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Event Management Giant Cvent Scoops Up Seed Labs To Help It Go Mobile". TechCrunch. June 13, 2012.
- "There And Back Again – How Cvent's Founder Stood By His Company, For Better Or Bankruptcy". TechCrunch. July 20, 2011.
- "The Daily Start-Up: NEA, Insight Lead Mega-Round For Cvent". Wall Street Journal. July 21, 2011.
- "Venture investments grow in 3Q from last year". The Washington Times. October 19, 2011.
- "With a pair of acquisitions, Cvent expands into mobile". The Washington Post. June 24, 2012.
- "After Seed Labs, Cvent Snags CrowdCompass For $10M To Double Down On Mobile Event Apps". Tech Crunch. June 19, 2012.
- "Cvent Unveils Estimated Terms of Planned IPO of 5.6 Million Shares". Wall Street Journal. July 29, 2013.
- "Cvent stock drifts back to earth". Washington Business Journal. August 14, 2013.
- "For Cvent, recent months a mix of ups and downs". Washington Business Journal. April 30, 2001.
- "How Reggie Aggarwal turned Cvent into a success". The Washington Post. November 7, 2010.
- "Cvent launches event venue directory and RFP management system". Hospitality World Network. October 23, 2008.
- "Cvent launches new edition of Destination Guide". Conference News. February 2, 2012, 2008. Check date values in:
- "Cvent Targets Strategic Meetings Management". Successful Meetings. June 3, 2009.
- "Creative Group selects Cvent as strategic meetings management technology partner". Travel Daily News. June 13, 2011.