Cycling at the 1896 Summer Olympics
at the Games of the I Olympiad
|Road cycling||Athens and surrounding area|
|Track cycling||Neo Phaliron Velodrome|
|Cyclists||19 from 5 countries|
|Top ranked countries|
At the 1896 Summer Olympics, six cycling events were contested at the Neo Phaliron Velodrome. They were organized and prepared by the Sub-Committee for Cycling. Events were held on 8 April, 11 April, 12 April and 13 April 1896. Nineteen cyclists, all men, from five nations competed.
These medals were retroactively assigned by the International Olympic Committee; at the time, winners were given a silver medal and subsequent places received no award. Every nation won at least a silver medal, with three winning golds.
||Aristidis Konstantinidis (GRE)||August von Gödrich (GER)||Edward Battel (GBR)|
||Paul Masson (FRA)||Stamatios Nikolopoulos (GRE)||Léon Flameng (FRA)|
||Paul Masson (FRA)||Stamatios Nikolopoulos (GRE)||Adolf Schmal (AUT)|
||Paul Masson (FRA)||Léon Flameng (FRA)||Adolf Schmal (AUT)|
||Léon Flameng (FRA)||Georgios Kolettis (GRE)||none awarded|
||Adolf Schmal (AUT)||Frederick Keeping (GBR)||none awarded|
A total of 19 cyclists from 5 nations competed at the Athens Games:
(*) NOTE: Including one cyclist (Nikos Loverdos) from Smyrna who competed for Greece.
Sub-Committee for Cycling
- Nicolas Vlangalis, president
- Const. Bellinis, secretary
- S. Mavros
- Nic. Kontojiannis
- Mar Philipp
- Jac. Theophilas
- "Cycling: 1896 Olympic Results". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- Lampros, S.P.; Polites, N.G.; De Coubertin, Pierre; Philemon, P.J.; Anninos, C. (1897). The Olympic Games: BC 776 – AD 1896. Athens: Charles Beck. (Digitally available at )
- Mallon, Bill; Widlund, Ture (1998). The 1896 Olympic Games. Results for All Competitors in All Events, with Commentary. Jefferson: McFarland. ISBN 0-7864-0379-9. (Excerpt available at )
- Smith, Michael Llewellyn (2004). Olympics in Athens 1896. The Invention of the Modern Olympic Games. London: Profile Books. ISBN 1-86197-342-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cycling at the 1896 Summer Olympics.|