Cycling at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Men's cross-country
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Laoshan Mountain Bike Course|
|Dates||August 23, 2008|
|Competitors||50 from 33 nations|
|Cycling at the|
2008 Summer Olympics
France's Julien Absalon pulled away from a pack of mountain bikers at the start to defend his Olympic title in the event with a gold-medal time in 1:55:59. Absalon also enjoyed his teammate Jean-Christophe Péraud taking home the silver in 1:57:06, as the Frenchmen climbed on top of the podium with a spectacular 1–2 finish. Meanwhile, Switzerland's Nino Schurter delivered an exciting sprint challenge for the bronze in 1:57:52, edging out his teammate, three-time Olympian and reigning world champion Christoph Sauser by two seconds. Among the 50 mountain bikers who competed in the cross-country race, only twenty-eight of them managed to complete the full distance.
The competition began at 15:00 with a mass-start in which riders are positioned according to their current world ranking so that the higher-ranked riders are near the front. The cross-country race also involved eight laps, with 172 m of elevation change for each, around the 4.45 km course at Laoshan Mountain Bike Course. The overall distance of the race was 35.60 km.
|Saturday, 23 August 2008||15:00||Final|
- "Absalon secures men's mountain bike gold". ABC News Australia. 23 August 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Americans lapped as France's Absalon defends gold". USA Today. 1 September 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "French cyclists on top of the mountain". France 24. 24 August 2008. Archived from the original on 28 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Fourth Olympic bronze for Switzerland". Swissinfo. 23 August 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Jones, Rob (23 August 2008). "French dominate the rest of the World". Cyclingnews.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Mountain Biking Competition Format". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Mountain Biking: Results and Schedules". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.