A cycling jersey is a specialised jersey for cycling.
The cycling jersey used to be made of wool since the inception of cycling as a sport in the early 1900s, while contemporary jerseys have evolved into technical sportswear that is lightweight, fitted, made of synthetic and moisture-wicking fabric.
A specialised cycling jersey for the road discipline features the following unique characteristics:
- A longer cut in the back to accommodate the bent-over cycling position
- Pockets on the back panel to prevent spill
- Silicone grippers at the hem to prevent the jersey from moving up the body while cycling
- Full length zip to allow for ventilation
- Tight-fitting cut to eliminate loose fabric and reduce air resistance
- Moisture-wicking material to keep the cyclist cooler and more comfortable
Cycling jerseys are available in various cuts. For instance, a loose 'club cut' offering relaxed fit for recreational cyclists, and a form-fitting 'race cut' featuring a tailored fit that is tighter and shorter. Jerseys for other cycling disciplines such as mountain biking have different characteristics. Looser jerseys allow body armour to be worn beneath. Long sleeve options also provide additional protection against branches and twigs.
Professional cycling is heavily sponsored. Regulations specify the size, colour and the placement of sponsor, national federation and manufacturer logos and other graphics. In professional races, certain colours or patterns have special symbolism that signify the leader or the champion of a race or tour. Numbers are pinned on the back of the jersey for a race.
- Cycling kit
- Distinctive jerseys in professional cycling
- Exercise dress
- Performance fabrics
- Road bicycle racing
- Road cycling
- ^ "Cycling Jersey: A Robust History, From Bland to Colorful to Current Trends". See Me Wear High Visibility Cycling Jerseys. 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ Brown, John. "The Importance of a Cycling Jersey". HaveFunBiking.com. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ "Bicycle Jerseys - Should You Buy One? Benefits to Wearing a Bike Jersey". See Me Wear High Visibility Cycling Jerseys. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ "4 Tips for Choosing a Cycling Jersey". Pactimo. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ "Cycling Size Guide". Champion System Canada. Retrieved 2022-10-18.
- ^ "Buyer's guide to summer mountain bike jerseys". off-road.cc. 2018-04-20. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ Zach Nehr (2021-12-01). "What to wear mountain biking: All the mountain bike gear you need from head to toe". Bike Perfect. Retrieved 2022-10-16.
- ^ UCI JERSEYS VISUAL GUIDELINES MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS & MODEL VARIATIONS (PDF). 2021.