Cynology // (rarely kynology, //) is the study of matters related to canines or domestic dogs. In English it may be a term sometimes used to denote serious zoological approach to the study of dogs as well as by writers on canine subjects, dog breeders and trainers and enthusiasts who informally study the dog.
Cynology is a classical compound word (from Greek κύων, kyōn, genitive κυνός, kynos, "dog"; and -λογία, -logia) referring to the study of dogs. The word is not found in major English dictionaries and it is not a recognized scientific discipline in English-speaking countries. Similar words are found in other languages, such German and Dutch kynologie, and the Russian кинология, from the Proto-Indo-European *ḱwon-, which is the source of hound.
κυν is also the source of the English word cynic, and is directly related to canine and hound.
Usage in English
The suffix '-logy' in English words refers to a study, or an academic discipline, or field of scientific study. English Classical compound words of this type may confer an impression of scientific rigor on a non-scientific occupation or profession.
Usage in English of the word cynology is rare, and occasionally found in the names of dog training academies, with cynologist sometimes being used as a title by some dog trainers or handlers. People who informally study the dog may refer to themselves as 'cynologists' to imply serious study or scientific work.
The very rare term cynologist in English, is generally found to refer to "canine specialists" such as; certified care professionals, certified show judges, breeders, breed enthusiasts, certified dog-trainers and professional dog-handlers.
Usage in other languages
- A similar word is used to refer to dog handlers and dog trainers in Russia.
- A veterinary clinic in Armenia offers a 'cynologist' to assist with dog training.
- A magazine in the Baltic states described as 'dedicated to the development of cynology in the Baltic countries' covers dog training, dog shows, and veterinary advice (a hobbyist magazine, not a scientific journal.)
- Albert Heim Foundation (Goal and purpose of such a collection), the Natural History Museum Berne Archived 2011-09-07 at the Wayback Machine
- James O'Heare. "Cynology College". advertisement. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
Member, Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Kinship Dog Trainer Training. "Become a Trainer". Retrieved 2008-04-18.
Receive a Canine Companions Diploma in Cynology and Certification as a Canine Companions Cynologist!
- P. Burns. "German Hunt Terriers". The Terrierman. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
Gruenewald was a 'cynologist' (a self-styled dog man with an interest in genetics)
- Five quotes are used in the Wiktionary to illustrate word cynology/cynologist.
- 1892, The Journal of Comparative Medicine and Veterinary Archives, 'Professor Mills has done excellent work in his course on "Cynology, the Dog and his Diseases," a subject hitherto only taught incidentally in any college ...'
- 1948, Dogs In Britain Clifford L.B. Hubbard, MacMillan & Co, 'Buffon's table is here reproduced as it was a sincere attempt towards laying a foundation upon which cynologists might work out the origin of breeds and their varieties and the analysis of dog groups.'
- 1951, The American Mercury, 'Students of cynology can trace in the dictionary the dog's remarkable rise in the public esteem in this century.'
- 1985, The Complete Dog Book, published by the American Kennel Club, 'The annals of cynology make no further mention of the breed until 1901 when a combined Rottweiler and Leonberger Club was formed.'
- 1990, Austin Farrer, in his introduction to G. W. Leibniz’ "Theodicy: Essays on the Goodness of God, the Freedom of Man and the Origin of Evil"; quoted in Charles Taliaferro’s 2005 Evidence and Faith (online Archived 2008-04-23 at the Wayback Machine) 'we shall really need a science of probatology about sheep, and cynology about dogs.'
- Alexander Lyutin. "ON EXPERTS IN SYSTEM OF RUSSIAN ORGANIZED HUNTING DOG BREEFING". Archived from the original on 2007-11-12. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
expert cynologist certification" requires an "educational level not less than high school graduation
Customs Services. "Dogs's noses are not anachronism". Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
Two years ago the cynologist group was filled up with the English cocker-spaniel assistants.
- Veterinary clinic in Armenia. "Zoosalon". Archived from the original on 2007-06-29. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
Our professional cynologist will help with your dog training
- "Amberdog". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
|Look up cynology in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Media related to Cynology at Wikimedia Commons
- Suchanova, J. & Tovstucha, R.E., Problems in translating the names of dog breeds from the perspective of different nomination principles & linguistic relativity. Coactivity: Philology, Educology 2016, 24(2): 113–121 
- "Calming signals", Wikipedia, 2018-08-09, retrieved 2019-05-25