Cynon Valley by-election, 1984
Evans was a Labour Co-operative politician. He was educated at Llanelli Grammar School and Swansea University College. He served on the West Bromwich education committee and acted as Labour Party agent for the general elections in 1955 and 1959 in Birmingham Small Heath. He was secretary of Birmingham and District Co-operative Party.
Seven candidates were nominated.
1. Mrs Ann Clwyd Roberts (usually known as Ann Clwyd), born 21 March 1937, was a broadcaster and journalist.
She had been a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for Mid and West Wales 1979-1984 and had contested the Westmininster seat of Denbigh in 1970. After winning the by-election, she has held the seat in every general election since (as of June 2017).
2. Felix Franc Elfed Aubel, a postgraduate research student born in 1960 was the candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and represented the SDP-Liberal Alliance. He had contested the same seat in the 1983 general election.
3. Clayton Francis Jones was nominated by Plaid Cymru. He was a 31-year-old coach operator and was a member of Taff-Ely Borough Council and Mid-Glamorgan County Council.
4. James Norwich Arbuthnot, a barrister born in 1952, represented the Conservative Party. He had been a Councillor in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea since 1978. Arbuthnot contested this constituency in 1983. He became a Conservative MP in 1987 and since May 1997 he is the member for North East Hampshire.
5. Mrs Mary Winter represented the Communist Party. She was a senior social services officer with Mid-Glamorgan County Council and was aged 36 at the time of the by-election.
6. Noel Edmundbury Rencontre was an Independent candidate, who sought election under the ballot paper label Womble Independent.
7. Paul Nicholls-Jones was an Independent candidate.
|Social Democratic||Felix Aubel||6,554||19.9||-0.7|
|Plaid Cymru||Clayton Jones||3,619||11.0||+1.8|
- Boothroyd, David. "Results of Byelections in the 1983-87 Parliament". United Kingdom Election Results. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- Britain Votes/Europe Votes By-Election Supplement 1983-, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Research Services 1985)