July 13, 1987
San Jose, California, U.S.A
|Residence||Sacramento, California, U.S.A|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (163 cm)|
|Weight||115 lb (52 kg; 8 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||65 in (165 cm)|
|Style||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Muay Thai|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California, U.S.A|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
last updated on: March 4, 2017
Cynthia Calvillo (// kal-VEE-yoh, born July 13, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the strawweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of December, 2017, she is #6 in the official UFC Strawweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Calvillo made her amateur debut in 2012, and garnered a 5-1 record over 4 years.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
She made her professional debut in 2016 collecting 3 pro victories in 5 months which includes 2 technical knockout finishes. She accepted a 10-day notice fight against Amanda Cooper at UFC 209 where she made her UFC debut, defeating Cooper by submission in the first round.
Following her successful UFC debut, she was asked to join the main card of UFC 210 against promotional newcomer Pearl Gonzalez. Gonzalez was ruled out of the contest after the NYSAC said she could not fight because of her breast implants, which are banned among combat-sports competitors. Later the decision was reversed and the fight was allowed to go on as scheduled. Calvillo won the fight by third round rear-naked choke.
Calvillo faced Joanne Calderwood in a strawweight bout on July 16, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 113. At the weigh-ins, Calderwood came in at 118 lbs, two pounds over the strawweight limit of 116 lbs. As a result, she was fined 20% of her purse, which went to Calvillo and their bout proceeded as scheduled at a catchweight fight. Calvillo won the fight via a controversial unanimous decision. However, 16 MMA journalists scored the fight to Calvillo. 5 of those scoring it 30-27. 
Calvillo faced Carla Esparza on December 30, 2017 at UFC 219. She lost the fight by unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring the bout 29-28 for Esparza. After the fight, it was revealed that Calvillo had failed an in-competition drug test for marijuana metabolites. As a result, she was suspended by USADA for 6 months with the ability to reduce the suspension to 3 months by completing a USADA approved drug awareness program. The Nevada Athletic Commission later extended this to 9 months.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|7 matches||6 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||6–1||Carla Esparza||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 219||December 30, 2017||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Calvillo tested positive for marijuana metabolites.|
|Win||6–0||Joanne Calderwood||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs. Ponzinibbio||July 16, 2017||3||5:00||Glasgow, Scotland||Catchweight (118 lbs) bout; Calderwood missed weight.|
|Win||5–0||Pearl Gonzalez||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||3:45||Buffalo, New York, United States|
|Win||4–0||Amanda Cooper||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 209||March 4, 2017||1||3:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Montana De La Rosa||TKO (punches)||Legacy Fighting Alliance 1||January 13, 2017||3||2:54||Dallas, Texas, United States||Strawweight debut.|
|Win||2–0||Gillian Robertson||Decision (unanimous)||Global Knockout 8||November 19, 2016||3||5:00||Jackson, California, United States||Catchweight (120 lbs) bout.|
|Win||1–0||Jessica Sanchez-Birch||TKO (punches)||Global Knockout 7||August 27, 2016||2||3:21||Jackson, California, United States||Flyweight bout.|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|6 matches||5 wins||1 loss|
|Win||5–1||Aspen Ladd||Decision (unanimous)||WFC 9 - Mitchell vs. Jara||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Flyweight bout. For the WFC Flyweight title.|
|Loss||4–1||Brenna Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||Tuff-N-Uff - Festibrawl 5||March 1, 2013||3||3:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, Nevada|
|Win||4–0||Jeana Pinelli||Decision (unanimous)||BTF - 2012 Camo State Championship||September 12, 2012||3||5:00||Fremont, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Ariene Culbreath||Submission (rear-naked choke)||WCS 5 - San Jose Fit Expo||July 15, 2012||2||1:13||California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Stefanie Harrison||TKO (punches)||Rocktagon MMA - Elite Series 17||April 14, 2012||1||1:29||Salinas, California, United States||Bantamweight bout. For the Rocktagon MMA bantamweight championship.|
|Win||1–0||Stefanie Harrison||KO (punch)||Rocktagon MMA - Elite Series 14||February 19, 2012||1||1:15||Richmond, California, United States|
- "Cynthia Calvillo fighter profile". UFC.com. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "Fighter Rankings | UFC ®". UFC. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- "record". Sherdog. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "UFC 209 results: Cynthia Calvillo chokes out Amanda Cooper in first to win UFC debut". MMAjunkie. 2017-03-05. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- "After breast-implant saga, Cynthia Calvillo expected a 'hood fight with Pearl Gonzalez". MMAjunkie. 2017-04-09. Retrieved 2017-07-31.
- Sherdog.com. "UFC Fight Night 113 Weigh-in Pics, Video & Results: Joanne Calderwood Misses Mark". Sherdog. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Calvillo stays undefeated vs. Calderwood". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Calvillo stays undefeated vs Calderwood". MMAjunkie.com/access-date=2017-07-16.
- Dana Becker (2017-09-27). "First three fights announced for UFC 219". fightline.com. Retrieved 2017-09-27.
- "UFC 219 results: Ex-champ Carla Esparza hands Cynthia Calvillo first career loss in upset". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-31. Retrieved 2017-12-31.
- Nick Baldwin (2018-01-17). "Cynthia Calvillo tests positive for marijuana metabolites, facing UFC anti-doping violation". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "MMAjunkie's '2017 Newcomer of the Year': Despite late slip-up, Californian made mark in hurry". MMAjunkie. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-01-04.