In college, Lord had some short stories published, and won a contest with one. After college, Lord got married and became a teacher. As her children grew up, she returned to writing fiction. She gets up most mornings between 3:30 and 4:00 A. M. Lord says that: That’s my just-me time to open my heart and spill it across a book.
Lord says that she still loves watching words jump onto the page, and she still loves making people laugh and cry and shiver with her writing. She still loves to read a great story. Lord still has kept "Happy" and "Peppermint" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "Winnie the Pooh" all of these years. She keeps them to remind her of the child she used to be, the one who liked surfboarding toads, sang the cherry song, and scared herself silly writing her first ghost story. She’s the one she writes for.
Lord lives in an old house with her husband, John, and her children, Julia and Gregory. Gregory has autism. David in the book she wrote, Rules, was inspired by Gregory, Ms. Lord's son. Lord says that some of her best work comes from the days that she does not feel especially inspired. She lives in Brunswick, Maine.
- 2007 Newbery Honor Book
- Schneider Family Book Award
- Rules, Scholastic, 2007, ISBN 978-0-545-03640-5
- Touch Blue. Scholastic Inc. 2010. ISBN 978-0-545-03531-6.
- Half A Chance, Scholastic, 2014. ISBN 978-0-545-03533-0
- A Handful of Stars, Scholastic, 2015. ISBN 978-0-545-70027-6
- Because of the Rabbit, Scholastic, 2019. ISBN 978-05-459-1424-6
Hot Rod Hamster early reader books
- Hot Rod Hamster. Scholastic Inc. 2010. ISBN 978-0-545-03530-9.
- Lord, Cynthia (2011). Happy Birthday Hamster. Derek Anderson, Scholastic Inc. ISBN 978-0-545-25522-6.
- Monster Truck Mania, Scholastic, 2014. ISBN 978-0-545-46261-7
- Hot Rod Hamster and the Wacky Whatever Race, Scholastic, 2014. ISBN 978-0-545-69442-1
- Hod Rod Hamster and the Halloween Party, Scholastic, 2015. ISBN 978-0-545-81529-1
Shelter Pet Squad series
- Jelly Bean, Scholastic, 2014. ISBN 978-0-545-63596-7
- Merlin, Scholastic, 2015. ISBN 978-0-545-63600-1
- Paloma, Scholastic, 2016. ISBN 978-0-545-63604-9
- Borrowing Bunnies: A Surprising True Tale of Fostering Rabbits, Farrar, Straus and Giroux Young Readers, 2019. ISBN 978-03-743-0841-4
- "Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922-Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- "Cynthia Lord - About Me". cynthialord.com. Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2011-04-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2011-04-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2011-04-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Author's Talk, Megan McCarthy
- Interview: Cynthia Lord", Bildungsroman, April 3, 2006
- 2008 Audio Interview of Cynthia Lord
- An Interview With Debut Author, Cynthia Lord, Debbi Michiko Florence
- Author Interview: Cynthia Lord on Rules, cynsations, March 10, 2006