||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cynthia Lord (born New Hampshire) is a children's author. Lord's debut novel Rules was published by Scholastic, Inc. in 2006, and was a 2007 Newbery Honor book  and winner of the Schneider Family Book Award.
Cynthia Lord’s life as a writer began at age four with a song collaboration with her sister. The song was called "Ding Dong the Cherries Sing," and they forced anyone within a 12-mile radius to listen to them sing it, over and over and over. Lord says that she was a day dreamer, a shy child, and she will always be grateful for the time and room that her parents gave her to be by herself. Lord’s favorite books when she was very young included Happy, Peppermint, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne.
In college Lord had some short stories published, and won a contest with one. After college Lord got married and became a teacher. As her children grew up, she returned to writing fiction. She gets up most mornings between 3:30 and 4:00 A. M. Lord says that: That’s my just-me time to open my heart and spill it across the white pages.
Lord says that she still loves watching words jump onto the page, and she still loves making people laugh and cry and shiver with her writing. She still loves to read a great story. Lord still has kept "Happy" and "Peppermint" and "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "Winnie the Pooh" all of these years. She keeps them to remind her of the child she used to be, the one who liked surfboarding toads, sang the cherry song, and scared herself silly writing her first ghost story. She’s the one she writes for.
Lord lives in an old house with her husband, John, and her children, Julia and Gregory. Gregory has autism. David in the book she wrote, "Rules", was inspired by Gregory, Ms. Lord's son. Lord says that some of her best work comes from the days that she does not feel especially inspired.
- 2007 Newberry Honor Book
- Schneider Family Book Award
- Rules, Scholastic, 2007, ISBN 978-0-545-03640-5
- Hot Rod Hamster. Scholastic Inc. 2010. ISBN 978-0-545-03530-9.
- Touch Blue. Scholastic Inc. 2010. ISBN 978-0-545-03531-6.
- Happy Birthday Hamster, Illustrator Derek Anderson, Scholastic Inc., 2011, ISBN 978-0-545-25522-6
- "Newbery Medal and Honor Books, 1922-Present". American Library Association. Retrieved 11 March 2010.
- "Author's Talk, Megan McCarthy
- Interview: Cynthia Lord", Bildungsroman, April 3, 2006
- 2008 Audio Interview of Cynthia Lord
- An Interview With Debut Author, Cynthia Lord, Debbi Michiko Florence
- Author Interview: Cynthia Lord on Rules, cynsations, March 10, 2006