Cynthia M. Bulik
|Cynthia Marie Bulik|
|Born||February 13, 1960
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
|Education||BA, University of Notre Dame; MA, PhD, University of California, Berkeley|
|Spouse(s)||Patrick F. Sullivan, MD, FRANZCP|
|Doctoral advisor||Sheldon Korchin, PhD|
Cynthia M. Bulik is a Distinguished Professor of Eating Disorders in the Department of Psychiatry of the School of Medicine at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a professor of Nutrition in the Gillings School of Global Public Health, and founding director of the UNC Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders. Bulik is also professor in the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden, where she directs the Centre for Eating Disorders Innovation. She also holds an adjunct appointment at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
Bulik has been involved in the research and treatment of individuals with eating disorders since 1982. She received her BA from the University of Notre Dame and her MA and PhD in clinical psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. She completed internships and post-doctoral fellowships at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh, PA.
Bulik has developed outpatient, partial hospitalization, and inpatient services for eating disorders both in New Zealand and in the United States. Her research includes treatment, laboratory, animal, epidemiological, twin, and molecular genetic studies of eating disorders and body weight regulation. She applies information technology to the treatment of eating disorders and obesity to broaden the reach, and increase the success of newly developed interventions.
Bulik is co-chair and founder of the Eating Disorders Workgroup of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. She was also the director of the first NIMH-sponsored Post-Doctoral Training Program in Eating Disorders. She has had continuous federal, international, and foundation funding since 1985. Dr. Bulik has written over 520 scientific papers and 60 chapters on eating disorders and is author of the books Eating Disorders: Detection and Treatment, Runaway Eating: The 8 Point Plan to Conquer Adult Food and Weight Obsessions, Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How To Stop, Abnormal Psychology, The Woman in the Mirror, Midlife Eating Disorders, and Binge Control.
Awards, Recognition, and Leadership
Bulik is a recipient of the Eating Disorders Coalition Research Award, the Hulka Innovators Award, the Academy for Eating Disorders Leadership Award for Research, the Price Family National Eating Disorders Association Research Award, the Carolina Women’s Center Women’s Advocacy Award, the Women’s Leadership Council Faculty-to-Faculty Mentorship Award, IAEDP Honorary Certified Eating Disorders Specialist Award, the František Faltus Award from the Czech Psychiatric Society, the AED Meehan/Hartley Award for Advocacy, the Hilde Bruch Award, and the Don and Melissa Nielsen Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Eating Disorders Association.
Bulik is a past president of the Academy for Eating Disorders, past Vice-President of the Eating Disorders Coalition, and past Associate Editor of the International Journal of Eating Disorders. She was the Founding Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Binge Eating Disorder Association and is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Global Foundation for Eating Disorders. Bulik also serves on the Clinical Advisory Board for Project HEAL.
Bulik has appeared on the Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN Morning, Katie, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray, in addition to national news programs in New Zealand, Australia, and Sweden. She has been featured in many publications, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, and the US News and World Report. Bulik holds the first endowed professorship in eating disorders in the United States.
Bulik is married and the mother of three. She won a bronze medal in the 2012 Adult National Figure Skating Championships with partner David Tsai.
- "University of California: In Memoriam, 1992". texts.cdlib.org. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Welcome - Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders". UNC School of Medicine. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "CEDI - Centre for Eating Disorders Innovation | Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics | Karolinska Institutet". Karolinska Institutet. Retrieved October 24, 2017.
- "Cynthia Bulik". ki.se. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "Expertscape: Leaders in Eating Disorders, October 2013". expertscape.com. October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "What is the PGC? — Psychiatric Genomics Consortium". www.med.unc.edu. Retrieved 2017-10-18.
- Bulik, Cynthia M. (1994). Eating disorders : detection and treatment. Palmerston North, N.Z.: Dunmore Press. ISBN 9780864692122.
- Bulik, Cynthia M.; Taylor, Nadine (2005). Runaway eating : the 8-point plan to conquer adult food and weight obsessions. Rodale. ISBN 978-1594860386.
- Bulik, Cynthia M. (2009). Crave : why you binge eat and how to stop (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Walker & Co. ISBN 0802717101.
- Beidel, Deborah C.; Bulik, Cynthia M.; Stanley, Melinda A. (2010). Abnormal psychology (Student ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780132216128.
- Bulik, Cynthia M. (2012). The woman in the mirror : how to stop confusing what you look like with who you are (1st U.S. ed.). New York: Walker & Co. ISBN 978-0802719997.
- Bulik, Cynthia M. (2013). Midlife eating disorders : your journey to recovery (First U.S. ed.). New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. ISBN 978-0802712691.
- Bulik, Cynthia M. (February 22, 2015). Binge Control: A Compact Recovery Guide. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. ISBN 978-1-5058-6176-1.
- "Cynthia M. Bulik, Ph.D., FAED - Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders". Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders. Retrieved October 23, 2017.
- "Bulik received the Meehan-Hartley Advocacy Award". UNC Healthcare System. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "History". Academy for Eating Disorders. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- "Featured Contributor - Cynthia M. Bulik, Ph.D., FAED - BEDA". Binge Eating Disorder Association. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Which part of your body do you study in a mirror? Today. MSNBC. (2014) Retrieved from: https://www.today.com/video/today/55053446
- Bulik, Cynthia. Beating your eating disorders at any age. Katie Couric. Retrieved from: "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2012-12-13.
- ""Save My Daughter"". www.drphil.com. May 13, 2009. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Cynthia M. Bulik, Ph.D., FAED". Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders. UNC School of Medicine.
- Anita, Rao; Stasio, Frank (April 13, 2015). "Meet The Woman Behind A New Understanding Of Eating Disorders". wunc.org. Retrieved 2017-10-24.