Cynthia M. Bulik
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (May 2011)|
|Cynthia Marie Bulik|
|Born||February 13, 1960
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
University of North Carolina at Chapel HillKarolinska Institutet
|Education||BA, University of Notre Dame; MA, PhD, University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Sheldon Korchin, PhD|
|Spouse||Patrick F. Sullivan, MD, FRANZCP|
Cynthia M. Bulik is a Distinguished Professor of Eating Disorders in the Department of Psychiatry of the School of Medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a Professor of Nutrition in the Gillings School of Global Public Health, and Founding Director of the UNC Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders. Dr. Bulik is also professor in the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden, where she directs the Centre for Eating Disorders Innovation. She also holds an adjunct appointment at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.
Dr. Bulik has been involved in the research and treatment of individuals with eating disorders since 1982. She received her BA from the University of Notre Dame and her MA and PhD in clinical psychology from the University of California, Berkeley. She completed internships and post-doctoral fellowships at the Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh, PA.
Throughout her career, Dr. Bulik has developed outpatient, partial hospitalization, and inpatient services for eating disorders both in New Zealand and in the United States. Her research includes treatment, laboratory, animal, epidemiological, twin, and molecular genetic studies of eating disorders and body weight regulation. She applies information technology to the treatment of eating disorders and obesity to broaden the reach and increase the success of newly developed interventions.
Dr. Bulik is co-chair and founder of the Eating Disorders Workgroup of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. She is also the Director of the first NIMH-sponsored Post-Doctoral Training Program in Eating Disorders. She has had continuous federal, international, and foundation funding since 1985. Dr. Bulik has written over 525 scientific papers and chapters on eating disorders and is author of the books Eating Disorders: Detection and Treatment (Dunmore), Runaway Eating: The 8 Point Plan to Conquer Adult Food and Weight Obsessions (Rodale), Crave: Why You Binge Eat and How To Stop (Walker), Abnormal Psychology (Beidel, Bulik, Stanley; Prentice Hall), The Woman in the Mirror (Walker), Midlife Eating Disorders (2013, Walker), and Binge Control.
Awards, Recognition, and Leadership
Dr. Bulik is a recipient of the Eating Disorders Coalition Award, the Hulka Innovators Award, the Academy for Eating Disorders Leadership Award for Research, the Price Family National Eating Disorders Association Research Award, the Carolina Women’s Center Women’s Advocacy Award, the Women’s Leadership Council Faculty-to-Faculty Mentorship Award, IAEDP Honorary Certified Eating Disorders Specialist Award, the František Faltus Award from the Czech Psychiatric Society, the AED Meehan/Hartley Award for Advocacy, the Hilde Bruch Award, and the Don and Melissa Nielsen Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Eating Disorders Association.
She is a past president of the Academy for Eating Disorders, past Vice-President of the Eating Disorders Coalition, and past Associate Editor of the International Journal of Eating Disorders. She was the Founding Chair of the Scientific Advisory Council of the Binge Eating Disorder Association and is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Global Foundation for Eating Disorders. Dr. Bulik also serves on the Clinical Advisory Board for Project HEAL.
She is passionate about translating science for the public. She has appeared on the Today Show, Good Morning America, CNN Morning, Katie, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray, in addition to national news programs in New Zealand, Australia, and Sweden. She has been featured in many publications, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, and the US News and World Report. Dr. Bulik holds the first endowed professorship in eating disorders in the United States.
Bulik is married and the mother of three. She is a gold medalist in ice dancing  and captured a bronze medal the United States Adult Figure Skating Championships in 2012 with partner David Tsai. She is also an avid ballroom dancer.
- "Cynthia Bulik". ki.se. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "Expertscape: Leaders in Eating Disorders, October 2013". expertscape.com. October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- Bulik, Cynthia. "Renowned expert on binge eating shares proven technique for conquering food cravings". Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Beidel, D.C.,Bulik, C.M.,Stanley, M.(2009)Abnormal Psychology. Prentice Hall. Retrieved from: http://www.pearsonhighered.com/product?ISBN=0132216124
- Bulik, Cynthia. "A renowned psychologist helps women escape the body-image trap". Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Bulik, Cynthia. Midlife Eating Disorders. retrieved from website: http://www.cynthiabulik.com/
- NEDA-National Eating Disorders.org. Research into eating disorders, focusing on causes, prevention and cures. (2011). Retrieved from: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/research-efforts/
- "Bulik received the Meehan-Hartley Advocacy Award". UNC Healthcare System. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- Unhealthy Food Obsession. Today. MSNBC. (2012) Retrieved from: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/24309761#24309761
- Bulik, Cynthia. Beating your eating disorders at any age. Katie Couric. Retrieved from: http://www.katiecouric.com/features/beating-your-eating-disorders-at-any-age/
- Bulik, Cynthia. Save My Daughter. Dr. Phil. 13 May. 2009 Retrieved from: http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/1280/
- "Cynthia M. Bulik, Ph.D., FAED". Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders. UNC School of Medicine.
- Real Doctors, Real People. UNC Healthcare System. (2011) Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXIRSWxciys