|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Penciller, Inker|
Cynthia Martin (a.k.a. Cindy Martin) is a comic book artist best known for her work on the Marvel Comics Star Wars title during its waning years in the mid-1980s. She was one of the few women working in mainstream American comics during that time.
Martin's clean lines and strong sense of movement during action scenes set her apart from other Star Wars artists of the time in addition to being one of the few women working in comics. Her work displayed the influence of Japanese manga long before it became common in American comics.
The first comic Martin worked on was the Ms. Victory Special #1 (AC Comics, 1985). She then got the Star Wars assignment, where she did the covers for issues 92 and 93, and then the pencils for most of the issues between 94 and 107. Besides AC and Marvel, Martin has worked for DC Comics, Eclipse Comics, First Comics, Topps Comics, Dark Horse Comics, and a number of other small presses.
In recent years, Martin has been illustrating early-reader "graphic biographies" for Capstone Press. She also illustrated Edge Books: How to Draw Comic Heroes ISBN 978-1-4296-0074-3. According to her bio on Silver Phoenix Entertainment, Martin's currents projects include books for ABDO Publications and the graphic novel Shadowflight.
On May 1, 2010, Cynthia was inducted as an Honorary Member of the 501st Legion international costuming organization in recognition of her contributions to the Star Wars saga.
Comics work includes:
- Star Wars 92, 93 (covers only), 94–97, 100–101, 103–107
- Web of Spider-Man 2, 4, 33
- Marvel Comics Presents 60–67
- The Amazing Spider-Man 295
- Midnight Sons 1
- Spectacular Spider-Man 133
- Atilla the Ham (Modanim Company) production
- Big Guy and Rusty (Sony Children's Entertainment) storyboards
- Crossroads (First Comics) 1
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (Claypool Comics) 9, 25
- Fan Base (Komikwerks)
- Go Girls (Dark Horse Comics) 1–3 (cover art)
- Jason Goes to Hell (Topps Comics) 1
- Psi Kix (Krislin Company) storyboards
- SPECWAR (Peter Four Productions) colorist
- Wild Irish Roses (Conari Press)
- Zoombies (Boom Studios)
- Roller Derby Drama (Silver Phoenix Entertainment) 1
Capstone Press graphic novels
- Elizabeth Blackwell: America's First Woman Doctor
- George Washington: Leading a New Nation
- Helen Keller: Courageous Advocate
- Jane Goodall: Animal Scientist
- Sacagawea: Journey into the West
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Wilma Rudolph: Olympic Track Star
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton: Women's Rights Pioneer
- Booker T. Washington: Great American Educator
- Hedy Lamarr and a Secret Communication System
- Story of the Statue of Liberty
- Story of the Star-Spangled Banner
- Nathan Hale: Revolutionary Spy
- Max Axiom, Super Scientist: Sound
- Max Axiom, Super Scientist: Adaptation
- Max Axiom, Super Scientist: Food Chains
- Max Axiom, Super Scientist: Magnetism
- Max Axiom, Super Scientist: Global Warming
- dANdeLION. "Our Very Own Cynthia Martin!," Kevin's Watch (June 20, 2007). Retrieved July 19, 2008.
- O'Neill, Tim (November 21, 2015). "A Really Long Time Ago, Marvel Played Fast and Loose with Star Wars". The A.V. Club.
- Hudson, Mark. "Cynthia Martin," Home of the Lost Star Warriors Original Art Annex! Retrieved July 19, 2008.
This section includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Capstone Press
- Cynthia Martin bio at Silver Phoenix Entertainment
- Hudson, Mark. Home of the Lost Star Warriors Original Art Annex!
- Cynthia Martin at Lambiek's Comiclopedia
- Sautter, Aaron and Cynthia Martin. How to Draw Comic Heroes (Edge Books, 2007). ISBN 978-1-4296-0074-3
- dANdeLION. Our Very Own Cynthia Martin!, Kevin's Watch: By Stephen R. Donaldson Fans for Stephen R. Donaldson Fans (June 20, 2007)]. Retrieved July 19, 2008.
- Cynthia West at Comic Vine