Cypress Creek High School (Florida)
|Cypress Creek High School|
|School district||Orange County Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. W. John McHale|
|Color(s)||Maroon, Silver, Black, and White|
|Rival||Freedom High School|
|Motto||To lead our students to success with the support and involvement of families and the community. To be the top producer of successful students in the nation.|
Cypress Creek High School is located in Orlando, Florida and serves students in grades 9 through 12.
Cypress Creek is an IB World School with an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. As an IB World School, CCHS is a local magnet school allowing students from other Orange County, Florida schools to attend.
Cypress Creek High School receives graduating students from Meadow Woods Middle School, South Creek Middle School and Walker Middle School. However, it is a magnet school, so students from surrounding middle schools (e.g. Hunters Creek Middle School, Freedom Middle School, Westridge Middle School, Lake Nona Middle School, Southwest Middle School) also attend Cypress Creek albeit in smaller numbers.
The Cypress Creek Marching Band is a seven-time Florida Marching Band Coalition Class 4A Champion (in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, and 2010) and was named Grand Champion an unprecedented five times (1998–2002) before FMBC eliminated the Grand Champion title (now only class champions are named) The marching band was a Bands of America Grand Nationals Semi-Finalist two times, in 2000 and 2002, finishing in the top 20. Recently the Cypress Creek Marching Band was a Bands of America Orlando regional finalist placing 7th in 2018.
The Cypress Creek Wind Ensemble has been guest-conducted by composers including Karel Husa (in 1996) and David Holsinger (in 2002). The group has performed at venues and festivals including Bands of America Marching and Concert Festivals in 1997 and 2000, and Carnegie Hall in April 2009. In 2011 the Wind Ensemble also performed for the second time at the Music for All National Concert Band Festival in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The Cypress Creek High School Winter Guard has competed in the Dayton, Ohio WGI World Championships since 1999. They have been finalists in the WGI competitions seven times since the school's opening.
IB Diploma Program
The IB DP at Cypress Creek is notably recognized as performing among the top 1% of IB schools worldwide in regard to graduation rates within the program. The program starts with the Pre-IB curriculum in the first two years of high school. Students enter the program officially in their Junior year. The program is outlined as follows:
- IB Group 1 subjects: AP Literature and Composition (Junior Year), IB English HL IV
- IB Group 2 subjects: IB German SL or IB Spanish SL.
- IB Group 3 subjects: IB History of the Americas HL, IB Psychology HL or SL, IB ITGS
- IB Group 4 subjects: IB Biology HL or SL, IB Chemistry HL or SL, IB Physics SL
- IB Group 5 subjects: AP Calculus AB (Junior Year for Maths HL and SL), IB Math Studies SL, IB Mathematics HL or SL
- IB Group 6 subjects: IB Art, IB Theater, IB Music, IB Film
- Students are also required to complete a Theory of Knowledge class, Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) hours, and an Extended Essay.
The Cypress Creek German Program is also the largest German learning program in the state of Florida and among the most successful in national German language competitions.
- Amar'e Stoudemire, NBA basketball player, now playing for Hapoel Jerusalem of the Israeli Basketball Premier League and the EuroCup (Class of 2002),
- Jammie Kirlew (Class of 2005), football player
- Christopher Duffy (baseball) (Class of 2006), baseball player
- Mauricio Henao (Class of 2005), telenovela actor
- FHSAA Student Population Report
- "International Baccalaureate". Ibo.org. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "Senior High Magnet Programs". Ocps.net. 2007-06-21. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- "2009 History". Floridabandtournament.com. Archived from the original on 2009-11-08. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Fortune, Erin. "2018 Bands of America Results". Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "Music For All Invitation List". musicforall.org. Retrieved 2011-07-31.[permanent dead link]
- "Amare Stoudemire Info Page". NBA.com. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- Jammie Kirlew Archived 2012-01-22 at the Wayback Machine. IUHoosiers.com
- "Chris Duffy". ucfathletics.com. Archived from the original on 31 January 2013. Retrieved 3 March 2013.