Cypress Lake High School
|Cypress Lake High School Center for the Arts|
|6750 Panther Lane
Fort Myers, Florida 33919
|School type||Public, Secondary magnet|
|School district||Lee County|
|NCES District ID||1201080|
|Superintendent||Nancy Graham, Ed.D.|
|NCES School ID||120108001150|
|Teaching staff||72.50 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||22.11:1|
|Color(s)||Purple and White
|Publication||The Cypress Chronicles|
Cypress Lake High School Center for the Arts is a secondary school located in Fort Myers, Florida. Cypress Lake High School is a high school in the South Zone specializing in five arts programs: Media Arts, Music, Dance, Theater, and Visual Arts.
Cypress Lake has AP programs and a large ESOL program.
Center for the Arts
Cypress Lake High School's secondary campus, the Center for Arts, is exclusively for students with a concentration in one of the arts programs; it is located north of the main campus and consists of five distinct departments. In the past, Cypress Lake High School and Cypress Lake Center for the Arts were separate institutions and therefore had a separate set of administration and staff. Students attending Cypress Lake Center for the Arts would take their academic classes at Cypress Lake High School. Nowadays, they are one coherent school, with the same staff and administration.
These are the arts programs offered:
Media Arts: The Media Department specializes in television production and digital editing. The department's video editing technique is non-linear, using Adobe Premiere. The department has a full-sized television studio, with three cameras and a fully functional control room, as well as a full computer lab.
Music: The Music Department has music theory programs as well as band, choral, and orchestral ensembles. In 2003 the Camerata Orchestra was invited to National Orchestra Festival. The a Capella choir also received national recognition. In 2009 the Cypress Lake Wind Ensemble performed at Carnegie Hall for the National Band Festival and selected as 1 of 18 ensembles in the country to play over hundreds of applicants that auditioned and were judged by the top professors and judges in the country.
Dance: The Dance Department teaches Ballet, Choreography, Dance Tech, and Repertory. There are two large dance floors and instructors. Shows are put on in Cypress' Auditorium.
Theatre: The Theatre Department instructs students in the dramatic arts, and stages many performances each year. The Department holds a modular theater (nicknamed the "Black Box" for its appearance) and an outdoor amphitheater.
Visual Arts: The Visual Arts Department teaches the crafts of drawing, painting, pottery, computer graphics, digital art, photography and a variety of other mediums. The department has a dark room to develop pictures, and computers for digital art and research. Every year they hold various art shows and at the end of the year a senior art show featuring the artwork of the graduating class.
- Charles Ghigna, poet and children's author known as "Father Goose;" taught English at Cypress Lake High School, 1967–1973
- Jan Hooks, comedian and actress; known for Saturday Night Live.
- Haely Jardas, actress and Miss District of Columbia 2015
- Lee Boyd Malvo, one of the Beltway snipers.
- Vonzell Solomon, contestant on season 4 of American Idol.
- "Cypress Lake High School". Statistical analysis. National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). October 2009. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Superintendent". Directory. The School District of Lee County. 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Administration". Directory. Cypress Lake High School. 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Cypress Lake High School Football". CBSSports.com & MaxPreps.com. December 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "The Cypress Chronicle". Activity homepage. Cypress Lake High School. 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Yearbook". Activity homepage. Cypress Lake High School. 2011. Retrieved 23 August 2011.[dead link]
- "Cypress Lake High School in Fort Myers, FL". US News. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
Cypress Lake High School is 1 of 30 high schools in the Lee County School District.