|Born||26 December 1964|
|Title||Disney Professor of Archaeology|
|Awards||Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (2007) |
Wolfson History Prize (2014)
Fellow of the British Academy (2015)
|Alma mater||University of Oxford |
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||This small world the great: an island archaeology of the early Cyclades (1995)|
|Notable works||The Making of the Middle Sea (2013)|
Cyprian Broodbank, FSA, FBA (born 26 December 1964) is a British archaeologist and academic. Since October 2014, he has been Disney Professor of Archaeology at the University of Cambridge and director of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research. From 2010 to 2014, he was Professor of Mediterranean Archaeology at University College London.
Broodbank was born on 26 December 1964. He studied history at the University of Oxford, graduating in 1986 Bachelor of Arts (BA). He then went on to study for a Master of Arts (MA) degree at the University of Bristol, completing it in 1987. He undertook postgraduate study at the Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge, and completed his Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in 1996. His doctoral thesis was titled This small world the great: an island archaeology of the early Cyclades.
Broodbank began his academic career as a junior research fellow at University College, Oxford from 1991 to 1993. In 1993, he joined University College London as a lecturer in Aegean archaeology based in the Institute of Archaeology. He was promoted to senior lecturer in 2001 and to reader in 2009. In October 2010, he was appointed Professor of Mediterranean Archaeology.
In November 2013, it was announced that he had been elected to the position of Disney Professor of Archaeology at the University of Cambridge. He took up the appointment in October 2014. In addition, he is the Director of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, and a Professorial Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge.
He was awarded the 2003 James R. Wiseman Book Award by the Archaeological Institute of America for his monograph An Island Archaeology of the Early Cyclades (Cambridge University Press, 2001). He was also awarded the 2001 Runciman Award by the Anglo-Hellenic League for the monograph. His monograph The Making of the Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean from the Beginning to the Emergence of the Classical World (Thames and Hudson. 2013) has been described as 'an unprecedented work of scholarship; it is unlikely ever to be matched' and as a 'landmark publication'.
On 11 October 2007, Broodbank was elected a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (FSA). In 2014, he was awarded the Wolfson Prize for History for his book The Making of the Middle Sea. On 16 July 2015, he was elected a Fellow of the British Academy (FBA).
- "The Making of the Middle Sea: A History of the Mediterranean from the Beginning to the Emergence of the Classical World". News and events. University College London. 25 November 2013. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Cyprian Broodbank". Staff. University College London. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- BROODBANK, Prof. Cyprian, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- Broodbank, Cyprian (1995). "This small world the great: an island archaeology of the early Cyclades". E-Theses Online Service. The British Library. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Broodbank, Prof. Cyprian". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U260678.
- "Mid-Career Fellowship Competition 2011 Awards". British Academy. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "New Disney Professor Announced: Cyprian Broodbank". Aegeus - Society for Aegean Prehistory. 25 November 2013. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "New Disney Professor Announced". University of Cambridge. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Prof. Cyprian Broodbank". Division of Archaeology. University of Cambridge. Retrieved 1 November 2014.
- "Professor Cyprian Broodbank". People. Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Cyprian Broodbank— 2003 James R. Wiseman Book Award". Archaeological Institute of America. 2003. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Public Lecture by Eminent Archaeologist Professor Cyprian Broodbank (4 Apr.)". University of Malta.[permanent dead link]
- "Runciman Award Prize winners from 1986" (PDF). Anglo-Hellenic League. Archived from the original (pdf) on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Knapp, A. Bernard (29 January 2014). "The Making of the Middle Sea". History Today. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "BROODBANK, Prof. Cyprian". Who's Who 2016. Oxford University Press. November 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "List of Fellows". Society of Antiquaries of London. Archived from the original on 24 June 2012. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Cyprian Broodbank awarded Wolfson Prize for History". British Academy. Archived from the original on 3 July 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Latest Prize Winners". The Wolfson Foundation. Archived from the original on 4 September 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "British Academy Fellowship reaches 1,000 as 42 new UK Fellows are welcomed". British Academy. 16 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "BROODBANK, Professor Cyprian". British Academy Fellows. British Academy. Archived from the original on 21 July 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
| Disney Professor of Archaeology, Cambridge University