Cyrus (dubstep musician)
|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
His rise to notoriety came about in late 2003 when he launched his independent record label RTP or Random Trio Productions. The label provided Cyrus with a platform to push his deep, meditative take on bass music into the dark garage scene. His first full release on RTP was a collection of tunes titled Lost city ep. Prior to its release in 2004, Lost city was gaining popularity on the pirate radio circuit and club circuit with plays from top DJs including Kode9. Due to increased exposure for RTP, Cyrus was asked to fill a regular slot on the pirate radio station Rinse FM in 2004. During 2004 on Rinse FM, Cyrus was part of a group of DJs pushing the Dubstep sound making him a pioneer of the scene.
The next big step up for Cyrus came about in 2005 when Rob Ellis (Pinch), head of Bristol based record label Tectonic recordings released Cyrus' Random Trio EP. By this time Cyrus has also collaborated on the creation of renowned dubstep website getdarker. Following his radio show on RinseFm Cyrus was a resident for internet based radio Subfm with a weekly show running from 2006-2009 which on occasion featured guests such as Beezy and Joe Nice. Then in 2011 he released two 12" records on seminal dubstep label Deep Medi: "Manhatten Blues" and "Vision".
- Lost city ep (2004, re-released 2005)
- Haunted (Jan 2007)
- Random Trio- Press Button (2007)
- Redrum (2007)
- Corruption (Aug 2008)
- Random Trio presents Cyrus- White sand (29th Sept 2008)
- Beatwise/Scanner (2010) 
- Minimal (2010)
Cyrus has released on several other labels including:
- Tectonic 
- Eight FX 
- Southside Dubstars
- Origin Audio (Cyrus and Tunnidge's label)
- Tempa (as part of the critically acclaimed Dubstep Allstars series)
- Massey rodgers
- Insect 
- Immigrant Recordings 
- Chestplate Records
- Deep Medi 
- Six6Six 
Other work and Critical acclaim
Cyrus' intricately percussive track, Indian Stomp featured on the soundtrack to the motion picture Children of Men alongside tracks from various other genres. Cyrus has had several write-ups in magazines such as: Rewind (RWD) and ATM.
In 2007, From the Shadows was released on Tectonic to huge acclaim.
The dubstep argument
Dubstep, recently[when?] has divided into different subgenres. There seems to be two main groups: The deep, sub-based group including artists like: Cyrus, Digital Mystikz, Pinch, Distance, Kode9, Truth etc. Then there is a more commercial, mid-ranged sound supported by artists such as Doctor P, Cookie Monsta and others (see also: brostep).
Cyrus, in a recent interview on Knowledgemag's website, claimed that Dubstep was losing some of its creative edge and his new label (origin audio) is aimed at bringing back the deep bass focused sound dubstep grew from, "We wanted to start a label that pushed, to us, what dubstep is all about. Sub driven music. We felt a lot of this has been lost over the last year or two and some great music has been overlooked in favour of the more tear-out side of the sound."
- http://www.rolldabeats.com/release/random_trio_productions/rtp001/ Lost city ep on rolldabeats
- The Metro on DubstepMetro article
- "Cyrus (9) - Manhatten Blues / Decisions".
- "Cyrus (9) - Visions".
- "Cyrus - Beatwise / Scanner :: Random Trio Productions :: RTP006 at RollDaBeats".
- "Tectonic Recordings vinyl & CD release discography at RollDaBeats".
- "Eight FX vinyl & CD release discography at RollDaBeats".
- "Southside Dubstars vinyl & CD release discography at RollDaBeats".
- "Origin Audio vinyl & CD release discography at RollDaBeats".
- Warren, Emma (21 April 2007). "Various, Dubstep Allstars 5 - Mixed By DJ N-Type" – via The Guardian.
- "Various Artists - Dubstep Allstars - Volume 3 :: Tempa :: TEMPACD005 at RollDaBeats".
- "Roland - Clunka / Clunka (Remix) :: Massey-Rodgers :: MSRG001 at RollDaBeats".
- "Djunya - Dream Awake / Dream Awake (Remix) :: Insect :: INSECT001 at RollDaBeats".
- "Dot & Subeena - Justice / Justice (Remix) / Chinawhite / Chinawhite (Remix) :: Immigrant Recordings :: IMM001 at RollDaBeats".
- "Random Trio - Press Button / Press Button (Remix) :: Dubwar :: DUBWAR002 at RollDaBeats".
- "Deep Medi Musik".
- "Cyrus (9) - 3 Kings / Drama".
- "Rakuten.co.uk - A new way to get rewarded".
- "Review: Cyrus - From The Shadows".