Czechoslovakia at the 1956 Summer Olympics
|Czechoslovakia at the|
1956 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Czechoslovak Olympic Committee|
|Competitors||63 (51 men and 12 women) in 10 sports|
|Flag bearer||Zdeněk Růžička|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
| Bohemia (1900–1912)|
Czech Republic (1994–)
The team was warned that their flight back to Czechoslovakia was in a danger of a terrorists' attack. All sportsmen had to undergo a long journey by a Soviet ship Gruzia from Melbourne to Vladivostok, Soviet Union and then by Trans-Siberian Railway to Moscow and by plane to Prague, Czechoslovakia. The whole journey took 31 days. The part of the journey from Melbourne to Moscow, Czechoslovakian sportsmen had to share a ship and train with Soviet sportsmen also returning home via this route. The coexistence was not idyllic and Czechoslovakians described it later as very humiliating. The Olympic team spent Christmas Day in the Pacific and New Year's Eve in Siberia. The team experienced high temperatures during voyage across equator and later freezing weather with -50 °C in Siberia.
It is very probable that the reason for the warning was only fictional and a long journey home was only a political decision made by Czechoslovak and Soviet communists. It was never justified.
|Gold||Olga Fikotová||Athletics||Women's discus throw|
|Silver||Otakar Hořínek||Shooting||Men's 50 m rifle 3 positions|
|Silver||Eva Bosáková||Gymnastics||Women's balance beam|
|Silver||Ladislav Fouček||Cycling||Men's 1000 m time trial|
|Bronze||Jiří Skobla||Athletics||Men's shot put|
- Ladislav Fouček — 6th place
- Ladislav Fouček — 1:11.4 (→ Silver Medal)
- František Jursa — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jaroslav Cihlár — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jirí Nouza — did not finish (→ no ranking)
- Jirí Opavský — did not finish (→ no ranking)
One male pentathlete represented Czechoslovakia in 1956.
- Josef Věntus
- Eduard Antoch
- Ctibor Reiskup
- Jan Švéda
- Josef Švec
- Zdeněk Žára
- Jan Jindra
- Stanislav Lusk
- Miroslav Koranda (cox)
Four shooters represented Czechoslovakia in 1956.
- "Czechoslovakia at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 2012-07-21.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Czechoslovakia Rowing at the 1956 Melbourne Summer Games". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 28 February 2018.