Smith signing an autograph in 2012
June 9, 1988 |
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||300 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Leesville (LA) Pickering|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 74|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
D'Anthony Smith (born June 9, 1988) is an American football nose tackle who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisiana Tech.
Smith was born in Berlin, Germany, but eventually moved to Fort Polk, Louisiana. At Pickering High School, Smith competed in three sports, football, basketball and shot put. He started all four years at the school, and every year but one, he received an award for his play on the defensive line. As a senior at the school he had 80 tackles and three sacks.
In his collegiate debut as a true freshman in 2006, Smith intercepted a pass that was deflected by another player against Nebraska. Smith overall, started eight games and came off the bench in five for the Bulldogs and had 38 tackles. His career high in tackles came against North Texas when he had seven, he also had five against Fresno State.
Against Fresno State as a sophomore in 2007, Smith equaled his total from the season before with five tackles, but also added a sack on their quarterback Tom Brandstater. For the season, he started 11 games and missed one due to injury and had 42 tackles and three sacks. Smith tied his career high in tackles with seven against Central Arkansas.
Against San Jose State in 2008, Smith had seven tackles and one sack. Heading into the Independence Bowl against Northern Illinois, he led the team with five sacks and was third with 65 tackles. He was named as a member of the First-team All-WAC following the regular season. For the season, he had nine tackles on two occasions and was named All-Louisiana. He started every one of the Bulldogs's 13 games.
He registered his first career tackle in the Jaguars' 2012 season opener against the Minnesota Vikings. He was placed on injured reserve on November 28, 2012.
The Jaguars announced that Smith was one of their final preseason cuts on August 30, 2013. However, before the team had officially submitted their cuts, Smith was traded to the Seattle Seahawks on August 31 for a conditional draft pick. He was released by the Seahawks on September 24, 2013.
The Lions claimed Smith off waivers on September 25, 2013, and released him on October 2.
Seattle Seahawks (second stint)
Smith was re-signed by the Seattle Seahawks to their practice squad on October 5, 2013. Smith re-signed with Seattle on March 19, 2015. On August 31, 2015, Smith was cut by the Seahawks during the preseason.
- "#5 D'Anthony Smith". Louisiana Tech University. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "No. 20 Nebraska amasses 584 yards of offense in rout". Associated Press. September 2, 2006. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Louisiana Tech 6, Fresno State 17". ESPN.com. September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- Jones, Jason (November 10, 2008). "Big Win on the Road". Scout.com. Retrieved 2009-08-10.
- "Bulldogs and Huskies square off in Independence Bowl". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. December 28, 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-10.[dead link]
- Cripe, Chadd (November 25, 2008). "These WAC players are award-winning performers". Tri-City Herald. Retrieved 2009-08-10.[dead link]
- Buchanan, Olin; Dienhart, Tom; Fox, David; Huguenin, Mike & Megargee, Steve (August 24, 2009). "Preseason defensive tackle power rankings". Rivals.com. Archived from the original on August 27, 2009.
- Richardson, Steve (August 11, 2009). "2009 Outland Trophy Watch List Announced". Football Writers Association of America.
- O'Halloran, Ryan. "Jaguars trade D'Anthony Smith to Seattle". Jacksonville.com. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Rothstein, Michael (October 2, 2013). "Lions sign WR Ogletree, release DT Smith". ESPN. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Mayer, Larry (December 22, 2015). "D'Anthony Smith joins 53-man roster". ChicagoBears.com. Retrieved February 18, 2016.