Dîner en Blanc
Dîner en Blanc
Paris, Place des Vosges (2012)
Number of locations
Dîner en Blanc is a worldwide event, spanning six continents, in which people gather in a public space and set up a temporary, chic dining area. Guests come dressed in white to enjoy quality food and wine. Diners are required to provide their own food, tables, chairs and tablecloths. Only a select number of participants who have previously signed up are made privy to the location the day of the dinner, and generally converge in an iconic city location.
The Dîner en Blanc concept began in Paris in 1988 when Frenchman François Pasquier invited a group of friends to an elegant outdoor dinner at Bois de Boulogne, asking them to dress in white so they could find each other. The event's presence has grown to over 70 cities, with almost 15,000 gathering for the 25th-anniversary event in Paris.
In 2012, Singapore was the first Asian city to host a Dîner en Blanc, and Brisbane the first Australian city. Canberra held Dîners en Blanc in 2013 and 2014, Melbourne debuted the phenomenon in 2015,.
- "Diner en Blanc - International - About". Diner en Blanc. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- "Diner en Blanc comes to Melbourne". Broadsheet. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Sidman, Jessica (June 29, 2017). "Dîner en Blanc is Coming Back—With 500 More Seats". Washingtonian. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- Schillinger, Leisl (5 July 2011). "How 10,000 People Keep a Secret". The New York Times.
- Watkins, Amy (4 June 2013). "Dîner en Blanc in B.C." BC Business. Archived from the original on June 12, 2013.
- Pawle, Fred (29 October 2014). "Diner en Blanc trips the white fantastic". The Australian. News Corp.
- Ang, Daniel (21 August 2012), Dîner en Blanc is Coming to Singapore! What To Expect & What White Food To Bring
- Blatchford, Emily (30 September 2015). "Secret Pop Up Picnic Returns To Australia -- First Stop, Brisbane". The Huffington Post Australia. Archived from the original on October 11, 2015.
- Zekants, Resa (3 September 2015). "Le Diner en Blanc to enchant Brisbane". Bmag.
- Martyn, Nathan (3 September 2013), Dîner en Blanc Attracts A Sea Of White
- Belot, Henry (12 February 2015). "Diner en Blanc unlikely to return to Canberra as government withdraws support". The Canberra Times. Fairfax media. Archived from the original on October 20, 2015.
- "In the white mood for festival fun". City News. 3 March 2013. Archived from the original on May 9, 2013.
- Wright, Jessica (10 March 2015). "Melbourne's first Diner en Blanc: all white on the night". Archived from the original on August 4, 2015.