The banks of the Rhine feature heavily in the marathon course
|Date||Late April or early May|
|Course records||Men's: 2:07:48 (2013)|
Women's: 2:25:25 (2018)
|Official site||Düsseldorf Marathon|
Organised by Jan-Henning Winschermann (via rhein-marathon düsseldorf e.V.), the race was first held in 2003.
The course runs through parts of the city and alongside the banks of the Rhine. It is a double-looped format and the route is generally a flat one. Almost 3000 runners completed the course at the race held in 2010. The race day also includes other events, such as a marathon road relay and over 10,000 people participate on an annual basis. Some 14,000 runners took part in 2011.
The race is a member of the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS) and also the German Road Races group. It is sponsored by Metro Group, a large international retailer based in the same city.
The men's course record was set at the 2013 race, when Dereje Debele won with a time of 2:07:48 hours, while the women's course record was set by Agnes Jeruto Barsosio in 2012, with a time of 2:25:49. Kenya has been the most successful nationality in the men's race. The women's race has seen mostly Germans top the podium.
Key: Course record
|Edition||Year||Men's winner||Time (h:m:s)||Women's winner||Time (h:m:s)|
|1st||2003||Gideon Koech (KEN)||2:20:45||Joyce Kandie (KEN)||2:55:44|
|2nd||2004||Carsten Eich (GER)||2:14:06||Dorota Ustianowska (POL)||2:39:41|
|3rd||2005||Alan Wendell Silva (BRA)||2:17:19||Luminita Zaituc (GER)||2:26:44|
|4th||2006||Julius Rop (KEN)||2:15:56||Luminita Zaituc (GER)||2:34:53|
|5th||2007||Bellor Yator (KEN)||2:09:47||Luminita Zaituc (GER)||2:29:37|
|6th||2008||Yaser Mansour (QAT)||2:11:15||Melanie Kraus (GER)||2:33:36|
|7th||2009||David Langat (KEN)||2:10:46||Susanne Hahn (GER)||2:29:26|
|8th||2010||Iaroslav Mușinschi (MDA)||2:08:32 (NR)||Natalya Volgina (RUS)||2:30:47|
|9th||2011||Nahashon Kimaiyo (KEN)||2:10:54||Merima Mohammed (ETH)||2:28:15|
|10th||2012||Seboka Dibaba (ETH)||2:08:27||Agnes Barsosio (KEN)||2:25:49|
|11th||2013||Dereje Debele (ETH)||2:07:48||Melkam Gizaw (ETH)||2:26:24|
|12th||2014||Gilbert Yegon (KEN)||2:08:07||Annie Bersagel (USA)||2:28:59|
|13th||2015||Marius Ionescu (ROM)||2:13:19||Annie Bersagel (USA)||2:28:28|
|14th||2016||Japhet Kosgei (KEN)||2:10:46||Zsófia Erdélyi (HUN)||2:35:37|
|15th||2017||Robert Chemonges (UGA)||2:10:30 ||Doroteia Peixoto (POR)||2:31:56|
|16th||2018||Gilbert Yegon (KEN)||2:13:55||Volha Mazuronak (BLR)||2:25:25|
|17th||2019||Tom Gröschel (GER)||2:13:49||Anja Scherl (GER)||2:32:56|
- Impressum. Düsseldorf Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Course. Düsseldorf Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- METRO Group Marathon Düsseldorf. Marathon.de. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Wenig, Jorg (2009-05-03). Langat and Hahn prevail in Dusseldorf. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Wenig, Jorg (2010-05-02). 2:08:32 course record for Musinschi in Dusseldorf. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-06-10.
- Wenig, Jorg (2011-05-09). Kimaiyo and Mohammed beat the heat at Dusseldorf Marathon. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Partner. Düsseldorf Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Information for all participants. Düsseldorf Marathon. Retrieved on 2011-06-11.
- Race organisers (2013-04-28). Ethiopian double in Düsseldorf as Debele breaks course record. IAAF. Retrieved on 2013-04-28.
- Wenig, Jorg (2012-04-29). Tola and debutante Jeruto break course records in Düsseldorf. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-05-01.
- The 2007 winner, Kenyan Bellor Minigwo Yator, repeated as winner in 2008 under his adopted Qatari name "Yaser Belal Mansour"