|Born||September 2, 1978|
|Occupation||Journalist, author and documentary filmmaker/director|
Düzen Tekkal (born September 2, 1978) is a German journalist, author and documentary filmmaker/director of Kurdish-Yazidi descent. She is also the founder and current chairwoman of the non-profit organization Háwar.
Early life and education
Düzen Tekkal’s Kurdish-Yazidi parents immigrated from Turkey to Germany. One of eleven siblings, she was born and raised in Hannover where she also attended university. Tekkal studied Political Science and German Literature at the University of Hannover.
After working at the German Orient Institute in Hamburg for several years, Tekkal worked from 2007 to 2013 as an editor and reporter for the German commercial television network RTL.
She has been an independent journalist since 2014. She works as a journalist, filmmaker/director and war correspondent focusing on Syria and Iraq, and is a nationally and internationally recognized expert on Yazidis, Islamism and Salafism.
Tekkal is a non-Muslim member of the Muslim Forum Germany.
In 2017, the American Jewish Committee (AJC) awarded Tekkal the "Ramer Award for Courage in the Defense of Democracy" for her work on behalf of the Yazidi victims of ISIS and her commitment to human rights.
- 2010: Bavarian Television Awards
- 2017: Ramer Award for Courage in the Defense of Democracy awarded by the American Jewish Committee (AJC)
- 2018: Woman of Europe Award of the European Movement Germany
- Deutschland ist bedroht. Warum wir unsere Werte jetzt verteidigen müssen. Berlin-Verlag, 2016, ISBN 978-3-8270-1328-6.
- HÀWAR –My Journey to Genocide. Documentary, 2015.
- "Official website". Düzen Tekkal. September 2015. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "hawar.help g.e.V." 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Düzen Tekkal". CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the German Bundestag. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Wieviel Islam verträgt Deutschland?". www.zdf.de. 25 August 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "'AJC verleiht Demokratie-Preis an Jesiden'". American Jewish Committee (AJC). 24 April 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Film Screening: Hawar - My Journey to Genocide". Department of Political Science, University of Washington. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "RTL-Autoren erhalten Bayrischen Filmpreis für das "Extra-Special: Angst vor den neuen Nachbarn"". RTL press release. 22 May 2010. Retrieved 02 April 2018.
- "„Kein Weg geht an der Frau vorbei" – Düzen Tekkal ist Frau Europas 2018". European Movement Germany. 11 April 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Tekkal, Düzen (2016). "Deutschland ist bedroht". Berlin-Verlag.
- "Háwar - The documentary". Hawar.help. 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2018.