|Born||September 2, 1978|
|Occupation||Journalist, author and documentary filmmaker/director|
Düzen Tekkal (born September 2, 1978) is a German journalist, author and documentary filmmaker/director of Kurdish-Yazidi descent. She is also the founder and current chairwoman of the non-profit organization Háwar.
Early life and education
Düzen Tekkal's Kurdish-Yazidi parents immigrated from Turkey to Germany. One of eleven siblings, she was born and raised in Hannover where she also attended university. Tekkal studied Political science and German Literature at the University of Hannover.
After working at the German Orient Institute in Hamburg for several years, Tekkal worked from 2007 to 2013 as an editor and reporter for the German commercial television network RTL.
Tekkal has been an independent journalist since 2014. She works as a journalist, filmmaker/director and war correspondent focusing on Syria and Iraq, and is a nationally and internationally recognized expert on Yazidis, Islamism and Salafism.
Tekkal is a non-Muslim member of the Muslim Forum Germany. In 2019, she was appointed by Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development Gerd Müller to serve on a commission in charge of drafting recommendations on how to address the causes of displacement and migration.
- 2010: Bavarian Television Awards
- 2017: Ramer Award for Courage in the Defense of Democracy awarded by the American Jewish Committee (AJC)
- 2018: Woman of Europe Award of the European Movement Germany
- Deutschland ist bedroht. Warum wir unsere Werte jetzt verteidigen müssen. Berlin-Verlag, 2016, ISBN 978-3-8270-1328-6.
- HÀWAR –My Journey to Genocide. Documentary, 2015.
- "Official website". Düzen Tekkal. September 2015. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "hawar.help g.e.V." 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "Düzen Tekkal". CDU/CSU parliamentary group in the German Bundestag. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "Wieviel Islam verträgt Deutschland?". zdf.de. August 25, 2016. Archived from the original on February 7, 2018. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Antwort der Bundesregierung auf die Kleine Anfrage der Abgeordneten Katharina Willkomm, Olaf in der Beek, Stephan Thomae, weiterer Angeordneter und der Fraktion der FDP – Drucksache 19/10966 – Der externe Sachverstand im Geschäftsbereich des Bundesministeriums für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung Deutscher Bundestag, July 11, 2019.
- "RTL-Autoren erhalten Bayrischen Filmpreis für das "Extra-Special: Angst vor den neuen Nachbarn"". RTL press release. May 22, 2010. Retrieved April 2, 2018.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "AJC verleiht Demokratie-Preis an Jesiden". American Jewish Committee (AJC). April 24, 2017. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- "Film Screening: Hawar – My Journey to Genocide". Department of Political Science, University of Washington. January 30, 2017. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- ""Kein Weg geht an der Frau vorbei" – Düzen Tekkal ist Frau Europas 2018". European Movement Germany. April 11, 2018. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Tekkal, Düzen (2016). "Deutschland ist bedroht". Berlin-Verlag.
- "Háwar – The documentary". Hawar.help. 2016. Retrieved April 2, 2018.