|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Length:||258.0 km (160.3 mi)|
|Existed:||1995 – present|
|From:||Chitose-Eniwa Junction in Chitose, Hokkaidō
|Major cities:||Yūbari, Obihiro|
|National highways of Japan
Expressways of Japan
It forms the middle section of the Trans-Hokkaidō Expressway.
At Honbetsu Junction near the eastern end the expressway splits into two routes: one route heading east towards the city of Kushiro and another route heading north towards the city of Kitami. All future extensions of these two routes will be constructed according to the New Direct Control System and are expected to operate toll-free upon completion.
The expressway is among the least used in Japan. At the time of its opening it was used by an average of only 650 vehicles a day, the lowest among all national expressways in Japan. As of 2006 the average daily ridership of the expressway has increased to 4,751 vehicles (for comparison the figure for the Tōhoku Expressway is 270,546 vehicles).
The speed limit is 70 km/h for the entire route.
List of interchanges and features
|Notes||Location (all in Hokkaidō)|
|12||Honbetsu JCT||Kushiro Route||191.2||No access: Ashoro IC ←→ Honbetsu IC||Honbetsu|
|1||Ashoro IC||National Route 242||204.4||Ashoro|
|-||Kunneppu IC||Opens in 2014||Kunneppu|
|Through to Kitami Road (Planned)|
- October 30, 1995 - Tokachi Shimizu Interchange - Ikeda Interchange section opened.
- October 7, 1999 - Chitose-Eniwa Junction - Yūbari Interchange section opened.
- March 15, 2003 - Obihiro Junction is opened, connecting with the Obihiro-Hiroo Expressway.
- June 8, 2003 - Ikeda Interchange - Honbetsu Interchange section and Honbetsu Junction - Ashoro Interchange section opened.
- October 21, 2007 - Tomamu Interchange - Tokachi Shimizu Interchange section opened.
- October 24, 2009 - Shimukappu Interchange - Tomamu Interchange section opened.
- October 29, 2011 - Yubari Interchange - Shimukappu Interchange section opened.
- Hokkaidō Expressway, another road on the island
- "Hokkaido Keizai Sangyo Shimbun, October 22, 2007". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- "E-NEXCO Expressway Data". Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "E-NEXCO Opening Schedule". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- (Japanese) East Nippon Expressway Company