Musa with the Brooklyn Nets in 2018
|No. 30 – Brooklyn Nets|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
8 May 1999|
Bihać, Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||208 lb (94 kg)|
|NBA draft||2018 / Round: 1 / Pick: 29th overall|
|Selected by the Brooklyn Nets|
|Career highlights and awards|
Džanan Musa (Bosnian pronunciation: [d͡ʒânan mûsa], born 8 May 1999) is a Bosnian professional basketball player for the Brooklyn Nets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Standing at 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) and weighing 215 pounds (98 kg), Musa plays the small forward position. He was selected by the Nets with the 29th pick in the 2018 NBA draft.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Professional career
- 3 National team career
- 4 Career statistics
- 5 Awards and accomplishments
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Musa was born in Bihać, Bosnia and Herzegovina, as the second child of Bosniak parents Rusmir and Saudina. He began playing association football at first, before choosing to focus on basketball. Musa started playing junior basketball in the youth setup at KK Bosna XXL, when he was 8 years old. He then moved to Sarajevo-based KK Koš, before joining Croatian team KK Cedevita in 2014.
In December 2014, he signed a deal with Croatian team Cedevita. Musa made his debut in Europe's top-tier level competition, the EuroLeague, on 15 October 2015, making him the ninth-youngest player to make their debut in the EuroLeague since the 2000–01 season . Musa played the first 4:55 minutes of the game and recorded 4 points.
In the 2017–18 season, while a member of Cedevita, Musa was awarded the EuroCup Rising Star Trophy, after averaging 10.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game, in 16 games played in Europe's 2nd-tier level EuroCup competition. He was also named the ABA League Top Prospect as well as to the All-ABA League Team for the 2017–18 season.
Brooklyn Nets (2018–present)
On 12 April 2018, Musa declared for the 2018 NBA draft, where he was expected to be a first round selection. On 21 June, Musa was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Brooklyn Nets. On 12 July, the Nets signed Musa to a rookie scale contract.
National team career
Musa played at the 2014 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship with the Bosnian national Under-16 team, leading the tournament in scoring, at 23.0 points per game. He also played at the 2015 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship, which he led in scoring, at 23.3 points per game, and in assisting, at 6.3 assists per game. He also averaged 9.0 rebounds per game, during the tournament. In the tournament's finals game, against the tournament's hosts, Lithuania, Musa scored 33 points, to go along with his 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks, leading his team to an 85–83 victory, and securing a gold medal for his team.
Musa was named the MVP of the tournament, and he was also selected to the All-Tournament Team. Musa also played at the 2016 FIBA Under-17 World Cup, which he led in scoring, at 34.0 points per game. He also averaged 8.1 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game. During the tournament, Musa scored 50 points, in 27 minutes played, in a game against Chinese Taipei, which is the current record for the most points scored in a single game at the FIBA Under-17 World Cup tournament.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The EuroLeague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season. He also played in domestic competition, and regional competition if applicable.
Awards and accomplishments
Junior club level
- 2017 Adidas Eurocamp Most Improved Player
Bosnian junior national team
- FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship champion: 2015
- FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship All-Tournament Team: 2015
- FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship Most Valuable Player: 2015
- 2× FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship: Top scorer: 2014, 2015
- FIBA Under-17 World Championship All-Tournament Team: 2016
Professional club level
- ABA League Supercup winner: 2017
- 3× Croatian League champion: 2016, 2017, 2018
- 3× Croatian Cup winner: 2016, 2017, 2018
- ABA League Top Prospect: 2018
- All-ABA League Team: 2018
- EuroCup Basketball Rising Star: 2018
- "Cedevita Zagreb signs Dzanan Musa". Sportando.com. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Sixteen-year-old Musa makes historic Euroleague debut for Cedevita". FIBA.com. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Dzanan Musa headlines the Adidas Eurocamp". Eurohoops.net. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Dzanan Design". NBADraft.net. 9 July 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
He has already been praised for his improvement on D during 2017 Eurocamp (where he was chosen the most improved player) and showcased these skills during the tournament.
- "2017-18 7DAYS EuroCup Rising Star Trophy winner: Džanan Musa, KK Cedevita". EuroCup Basketball. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "2017/18 Top Prospect: Džanan Musa (Cedevita)". www.aba-liga.com.
- "Rochestie heads the Ideal Starting Five". www.aba-liga.com. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Dzanan Musa declares for the 2018 NBA Draft". Sportando.basketball. 12 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Dowd, Tom (22 June 2018). "Brooklyn Nets Select Dzanan Musa, Rodions Kurucs in 2018 NBA Draft". NBA.com. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Brooklyn Nets Sign Dzanan Musa | Brooklyn Nets". NBA.com. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "2015 U16 European Championship Men". archive.fiba.com. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "2015 U16 European Championship Men - Final". archive.fiba.com. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Džanan Musa.|