D-2 visa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The D-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa which allows travel to United States for those serving as a crewman on marine vessel or aircraft, who will depart on a different vessel than that on which they arrived.[1] Those who will depart on the same vessel would normally instead qualify for a D-1 visa. Individuals are not eligible for a D-1 visa if their vessel is in dry dock, is a fishing vessel, they are a coasting officer, or if they are destined for the outer continental shelf.[2] The maximum duration of stay is 29 days.[1] Travelers may present a seaman's book rather than a passport as identification.[1] Those serving on a private yacht normally would not be eligible unless they are sailing out of a foreign home port, and will be in US waters for more than 29 days.[2][3]

The normal maximum duration of stay for a D-1 visa is 29 days; however this can be extended for up to 120 days.[1]


  1. ^ a b c d Immigration pocket field guide. Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. 2013. p. 21.
  2. ^ a b "Crewmember visa". state.gov. US Department of State. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
  3. ^ "9 FAM 402.8 CREW – D VISAS". State.gov. Retrieved 7 March 2017.

External links[edit]