|Single by Justice|
|from the album Cross|
|Released||23 April 2007|
|Recorded||2005–06 in Paris, France|
|Justice singles chronology|
"D.A.N.C.E." is the second single by Justice, and the first from their album †. It includes an edit and extended versions of "D.A.N.C.E", a rougher mix in the style of their earlier releases, "B.E.A.T", and the track "Phantom" which was previously issued in limited quantities twice on 12" vinyl preceding the release of "D.A.N.C.E.".
Music and lyrics
According to the duo, they were huge Michael Jackson fans and therefore decided to dedicate this song to him. The song recites numerous Michael Jackson songs including "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)", "Black or White", "Workin' Day and Night", and "Whatever Happens" along with the Jackson 5 song "ABC" and Michael Jackson's album Music and Me. The intro of the song contains a sample of the outro of Britney Spears's "Me Against the Music". Vocals are provided by the London-based Foundation for Young Musicians choir. Swizz Beatz sampled the song for "On to the Next One", from Jay-Z's The Blueprint 3 album.
The radio tuning sound near the beginning of the song is from Simon Harris' album Fx & Scratches (Vol. 1). Justice also use a GarageBand sample, "Radio Tuning 01".
The music video for "D.A.N.C.E." was shot by French directorial duo Jonas & François with animation by So Me. The video was nominated for the 2007 MTV Video Music Award "Video of the Year"; while winning the award at the MTV Europe Music Awards. The music video is shot in the style of pop art. In the video, Augé and de Rosnay walk and the images of their T-shirts constantly change and morph (cars, mouths, thunderbolts, lollipops, numbers, letters and the lyrics). It includes a reference to the song "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles when the word "Radio" was replaced with "Internet" in one part of the video.
There was much hype prior to the single's release and in the weeks leading up to its official release, many unofficial remixes of the song began to appear on the internet. MSTRKRFT released an official version (which was in the film "Meet the Spartans"), being the only group to receive instrumentals and vocals separately. One remix was made by Washington, D.C. rapper Wale entitled "W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.", the Chicago Reader picked it as a staff favorite from 2007 and called the remix "positively epic." Wale and Ronson performed the song at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards and Wale later appeared on the cover of URB with Justice. The song was also covered by Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly and UK band Trash Fashion. A remix with Mos Def and Spank Rock was recorded and put to download as "Promo Only". There was also a white-label remix that combined "D.A.N.C.E." with Jennifer Lopez's single "Do It Well" named "Do It W.E.L.L.".
Format and track listing
- 7" single
- 12" ED 016
- "D.A.N.C.E." (radio edit)
- "B.E.A.T." (extended)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (extended)
- Remixes 12" ED 019
- "D.A.N.C.E." (radio edit)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (Stuart Price remix)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (Jackson remix)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (MSTRKRFT remix)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (live version)
- "D.A.N.C.E." (Alan Braxe and Fred Falke remix)
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||3|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||20|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||49|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||48|
|UK Dance (Official Chart Company)||1|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||3|
- Note: The single lists the song as "D.A.N.C.E" with the last period omitted. However, Justice's debut album † lists the song as "D.A.N.C.E." with the last period added.
- THE DJ QA & JUSTICE - The Daily Record
- No byline (December 11, 2007). "The 100 Best Songs of 2007" Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2007-12-21
- Culture Bully » Blog Archive » Do the "D.A.N.C.E.": Justice Remixes
- Kendrick, Monica, "From Black Metal to White Chalk", Chicago Reader, January 3, 2008
- MTV Video
- no byline, "Justice and Wale behind the scenes :: URB Cover Shoot", URB Magazine, Oct. 11, 2007
- "Ultratop.be – Justice – D.A.N.C.E." (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Justice – D.A.N.C.E." (in French). Ultratip.
- "Justice: D.A.N.C.E." (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Justice – D.A.N.C.E." (in French). Les classement single.
- "Swisscharts.com – Justice – D.A.N.C.E.". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Chart Stats – Justice – Dance". The Official Charts Company. Chart Stats.
- "Justice – Chart history" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Justice.