D.I.C.E. (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Summit is an annual multi-day gathering of video game executives held in Las Vegas, Nevada. Established in 2002 by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, the conference is host to the annual Entertainment Software Association's Interactive Achievement Awards. The conference differs from other conferences in the industry in its emphasis on the business and production end of the industry, with a focus on trends and innovations in video game design. The conference specializes in providing a more intimate, orderly venue for select industry leaders to network.
In 2007, a keynote speaker was added to open the event, which had traditionally begun with recreation before the introduction of presentations and panels. The summit's first keynote address was delivered by Yair Landau, vice chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment and president of Sony Pictures Digital. In 2008, the keynote address was delivered by Gore Verbinski, director of The Pirates of the Caribbean film series. In 2009, the keynote speaker was Gabe Newell, Managing Director of Valve Corporation. In 2010, the keynote speaker was Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. In 2011, Mike Morhaime, president and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment, was the keynote speaker. In 2012, the keynote speaker was Todd Howard, Game Director and Executive Producer of Bethesda Game Studios. In 2013, Gabe Newell once again delivered a keynote, this time alongside film director J. J. Abrams. Riot Games CEO Brandon Beck was the keynote speaker for the 2015 D.I.C.E. Summit. Game creator Hideo Kojima and film director Guillermo del Toro present the Keynote Address in 2016.
- Gamasutra. D.I.C.E. Summit 2007 Live from Las Vegas gamasutra.com. Retrieved 4 Feb, 2008.
- Joseph Olin Talks 2007 DICE Summit | Features | Edge Online
- Feldman, Curt and Tim Surette. (February 8, 2007) D.I.C.E. 07: Event kicks off on a serious note. Gamespot. Retrieved 4 Feb, 2008.
- "D.I.C.E. Summit 2015 Keynote Speaker/Panelists Announced". GameFront. January 23, 2015. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- "Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro Confirmed as D.I.C.E. Summit Keynote Speakers". News Channel 10. February 3, 2016. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- Official website
- Description of DICE Summit 2007 by Heather Chaplin, coauthor of Smartbomb: The Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution at 1UP.com
- Dice Summit 2011 G4tv.com will be live streaming the Interactive Achievement Awards.
|This video game culture–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|