D. J. Carrasco
|D. J. Carrasco|
Carrasco with the New York Mets
April 12, 1977 |
|April 2, 2003, for the Kansas City Royals|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 16, 2012, for the New York Mets|
|Earned run average||4.50|
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Cleveland Indians/Pittsburgh Pirates
Kansas City Royals
Carrasco was drafted by the Kansas City Royals from the Pirates in the 2002 Rule 5 Draft. He spent all of the 2003 season in the majors for the Royals. He split 2004 and 2005 between the Royals and their minor league affiliates.
Fukuoka Softbank Hawks
Chicago White Sox
On July 9, 2008, Carrasco was recalled by the White Sox to replace injured closer Bobby Jenks. Carrasco posted a 2.38 ERA in 7 appearances with Triple-A Charlotte before being recalled. On August 3, 2008, during a game against the Kansas City Royals, Carrasco threw two pitches inside Miguel Olivo, the second one hitting Olivo. Olivo came after Carrasco and started a bench-clearing brawl. On December 12, 2009, Carrasco was non-tendered by the White Sox, making him a free agent.
New York Mets
In December 2010, the New York Mets signed Carrasco to a two-year contract. On June 11, 2011, he returned to the club as Dale Thayer was sent down. On June 16, 2011, in a game versus the Atlanta Braves, Carrasco balked in the final run of the ball game in the 10th inning, giving the Braves a 9-8 victory. It was just the second balk off in the Mets history. On May 15, 2012, Carrasco was ejected by umpire Gary Darling following a hit batsmen. After surrendering a home run to Rickie Weeks of the Milwaukee Brewers, Carrasco drilled Ryan Braun with the next pitch and was thrown out. He was designated for assignment the following day. On May 25, 2012, he was released by the team.
Carrasco featured an 89-93 4 seam fastball, a sinking 2-seam fastball 88-92, a curveball and a changeup.
Unlike most pitchers, Carrasco who typically threw with an overhand arm-slot, would occasionally drop down to a submarine arm-slot trying to catch the batter off guard.
Carrasco attended Hayward High School.
- "Sox fifth starter dilemma continues". MLB.com. Retrieved 2008-08-13.
- Pirates, D'Backs Agree On Chris Snyder Trade: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
- DiComo, Anthony (12/09/10). "Mets complete Paulino, Carrasco deals". Mlb.com. Retrieved 26 December 2010. Check date values in:
- Ejection 032: Gary Darling (4) Close Call Sports Retrieved 16 May 2012
- "D.J. Carrasco Designated For Assignment". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- Carson & Carrasco out; Egbert called up from Buffalo | Metsblog
- Braves Sign Reliever D.J. Carrasco - Talking Chop