D. J. Cotrona
D. J. Cotrona
Donald Joseph Cotrona
May 23, 1980
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
Donald Joseph "D. J." Cotrona (born May 23, 1980) is an American actor, known for his role in the film G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) and as Seth Gecko in the El Rey Network horror television series From Dusk till Dawn.
Cotrona was born in New Haven, Connecticut. His mother, Sheree, is a teacher, and his father, Donald, works for a recycling company. Cotrona is three eighths Italian and one quarter Polish descent; his other ancestry includes German, Hungarian, Austrian, and English. He was studying to be a lawyer at Northeastern University in Boston; however, after doing a summer internship at a law firm, he realized he did not like working with lawyers. In his sophomore year, he switched to acting; during his spring break, he went to visit a friend in Los Angeles and never returned to college.
After a few guest starring roles Cotrona was being considered for the role of Ryan Atwood on the television series The O.C. but that role went to Benjamin McKenzie. Shortly thereafter Cotrona was cast as the male lead in another of Fox's new dramas of 2003, the Jerry Bruckheimer produced Skin. Cotrona played Adam Roam, the son of the Los Angeles District Attorney. His character becomes involved with Jewel Goldman (Olivia Wilde), whose father runs a pornography company. With their fathers' feud looming over them they pursue their "Romeo and Juliet" relationship. Skin was cancelled after three episodes aired due to poor ratings and the controversial story lines. The eight episodes of the series were shown on SOAPnet in 2005.
In 2005 Cotrona again landed a lead role in a TV series, playing Sean Mathers, a flower shop worker with a dark past who is part of a group of lottery winners, in the NBC series Windfall. The series would end up being shown in the summer of 2006 rather than as a mid-season replacement for the 2005-06 TV season.
Cotrona was cast in the role of Superman for Warner Bros.' planned film Justice League: Mortal; however, after issues resulting from the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike and other production concerns, the film was cancelled.
In 2010, Cotrona appeared in the film Dear John. In February he was cast as Detective John Stone in the ABC pilot 187 Detroit, which also stars Michael Imperioli, Shaun Majumder, and Erin Cummings among others. When ABC ordered the series it was renamed Detroit 1-8-7. His character was killed in "Stone Cold", the sixteenth episode of the series. Cotrona played Flint, one of the leading roles, in the sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013).
In March 2014, the horror television series From Dusk till Dawn developed by Robert Rodriguez based on his own cult horror film of the same title, was aired on the newly launched El Rey Network. Cotrona played Seth Gecko in the series, being part of the main cast until the series ended in 2016.
|2006||Love is the Drug||Lucas Mitchell|
|2013||G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Dashiell R. Faireborn / Flint|
|2017||Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands: War Within the Cartel||Ricky Sandoval||Short film|
|2003||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Donovan Alvarez||Episode: "Grief"|
|2003||Skin||Adam Roam||8 episodes|
|2004||Hollywood Division||Unsold pilot|
|2006||Windfall||Sean Mathers||13 episodes|
|2010–11||Detroit 1-8-7||John Stone||16 episodes|
|2014–16||From Dusk till Dawn: The Series||Seth Gecko||30 episodes|
|2014||Matador||Party Guest||Episode: "Quid Go Pro"|
- "D.J. COTRONA Detective John Stone on ABC's "Detroit 1-8-7"" (Press release). ABC Medianet. Archived from the original on May 5, 2012. Retrieved February 5, 2011.
- Bianco, Robert (20 October 2003). "For D.J. Cotrona, 'Skin' is in". USA Today. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- Chang, Justin (15 September 2005). "Venom". variety.com. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- Chang, Justin (6 February 2006). "Love Is The Drug". variety.com. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- "NBC GETS SURGE FROM 'WINDFALL,' NEW DRAMA SERIES FOR MID-SEASON 2005-06". thefutoncritic.com. July 21, 2005. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Cieply, Michael (March 1, 2008). "A Film's Superheroes Face Threat of Strike". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- Lowry, Brian (February 2, 2010). "Dear John". variety.com. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "allmovie.com – dear john – cast". Allmovie. Archived from the original on 17 February 2010. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- "Dear John" (in Italian). Il Sole 24 Ore. May 7, 2010. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "2010 ABC PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT GUIDE - DRAMA SERIES". thefutoncritic.com. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "DEVELOPMENT UPDATE: TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23". thefutoncritic.com. 23 February 2010. Retrieved 24 February 2010.
- "'G.I. Joe': RZA Joining Sequel (Exclusive)".
- Petski, Denise (26 October 2015). "'From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series' Renewed For Season 3 On El Rey Network".
- "IMDb: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands: War Within the Cartel".