||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Dr. D.P. Kothari|
|Currently Director Research, S. B. Jain Institute of Technology,Management & Research, Nagpur|
|Vice-Chancellor VIT University|
|Director i/c IIT Delhi|
|Deputy Director IIT Delhi|
|Principal, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology|
7 October 1944 |
Bikaner, Rajasthan, British India
|Alma mater||BITS, Pilani|
Dwarkadas Pralhaddas Kothari (born 7 October 1944) is an educationist and professor who has held leadership positions at engineering institutions in India including IIT Delhi, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur and VIT University, Vellore. Currently, he is the Director Research,S. B. Jain Institute of Technology ,Management & Research,Nagpur and very recently[when?] was Director General of Vindhya Institute of Technology and Science (VITS), Indore. As a recognition of his contributions to engineering education, he was honoured as an IEEE Fellow. Previously he was Vice-Chancellor at VIT University.
D.P.Kothari was born in Bikaner, Rajasthan, India. He completed his schooling at G.B.M.M Higher Secondary School in Hinganghat, Wardha district. He attended BITS, Pilani, from where he earned his Bachelor in Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering (Class of 1967). He studied for his master's degree in Power Systems at BITS, Pilani (Class of 1969) where he continued to pursue PhD(Class of 1975).
D.P.Kothari has served as Advisor to the Chancellor at VIT University, Vellore, and prior to that he has was Head, Centre for Energy Studies at IIT Delhi (1995–97) and Principal, Visvesvaraya Regional Engineering College, Nagpur (1997–98). He has also been Director i/c, IIT Delhi (2005) and Deputy Director (Administration), IIT Delhi (2003–06). D.P.Kothari is most popularly known for his contributions to the advancement of engineering education in India. He has published and presented over 812 papers in national and international journals and conferences. He has authored and co-authored 50 books including Power System Optimization, Modern Power System Analysis, Electric Machines, Power System Transients, Theory and Problems of Electric Machines, Renewable Energy Sources and Emerging Technologies, and Power System Engineering. His research interests include: Optimal Hydro-thermal Scheduling, Unit Commitment, Maintenance Scheduling, Energy Conservation (loss minimisation and voltage control), and Power Quality and Energy Systems Planning and Modelling.
The University Grants Commission presented him the UGC National Swami Pranavananda Saraswati Award for 2005 on Education for his scholarly contributions. He is the recipient of the National Khosla Lifetime Achievement Award 2005 from the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, National Award for Science and Technology from the Uttar Pradesh government in 2001 and the Eminent Engineering Personality award from the Institution of Engineers (India) for the year 2001. The World Management Congress, New Delhi, gave D.P.Kothari the Lifetime Achievement Award for 'Educational Planning and Administration' in December 2009. Dr. D. P. Kothari was selected to receive the Best Professor of the Year 2013 by Association of Scientists, Developers and Faculties.
He received Excellent Academic Award at IIT Guwahati by NPSC-2014.In 2016, he has received 6 Life Time Achievement awards by various agencies on 19 February, 4 March, 11 March, 18 March, 20TH March and 25 March 2016, respectively.
Fellow – IEEE
Life Fellow – The Institution of Engineers (India)
Life Membership – Indian Society for Technical Education
Fellow – Indian National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad
Fellow – Indian National Academy of Engineering
Senior Member – CSI
Seema, his oldest daughter is now in Nagpur, India after spending 15 years in New Hampshire. She has two daughters Aditi, Anushree and a son Anirudhh. Her husband Mr. Pankaj Mundhada MS from US after serving in Oracle in US is now working with Persistent in Nagpur, India. Shikha is based in Mumbai as a Business Partner - VRTW Human Resource Consulting & Creative head & Founder - Shibhana (An Indo western clothing label)Her husband Mr. Rahul Bhangadia is working in Mumbai as an Equity Research Analyst.
Books and Research Papers
- D.P. Kothari and I.J. Nagrath, "Modern Power System Analysis," Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1980(7 reprints), Second Edition, 1989(25 reprints), Third Edition, 2003(16th reprint 2009); International Edition, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 2004, McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 2006, Second Edition, 2007, Third Edition, 2008, Fourth Edition, 2011.
- S.S. Murthy, B.P. Singh, D.P. Kothari and C.S. Jha (Eds)"Electro mechanics Laboratory Manual," Wiley Eastern, New Delhi, 1982.
- D.P. Kothari and I.J. Nagrath, "Electric Machines," Approved by the UGC and published by Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi with NBT subsidy, First Edition, 1985, (16 Reprints): Second Edition, 1997, (16 Reprints); Third Edition, 2004 (13th reprint 2009). FOURTH EDITION 2010.
- A.K. Mahalanabis, D.P. Kothari and S.I. Ashon, "Computer Aided Power System Analysis and Control," Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1988, (First Reprint, 1991).
- J. Nanda and D.P. Kothari (Eds.),"Recent Trends in Electric Energy Systems," Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 1988.
- C.M. Bhatia and D.P. Kothari (Eds.), "Power Electronics Laboratory Manual," Galgotia Book source, New Delhi, 1988.
- D.P. Kothari and I.J. Nagrath, "Theory and Problems of Electric Machines TMH Outline Series". Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1991. (Six Reprints) 2nd Edition, 2001(Fifth Reprint, 2003), International Edition, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 2001, Sigma Series, 2006(4th reprint 2009).
- D.P. Kothari and I.J. Nagrath and, "Power Systems Engineering," Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1994. (20 Reprints);2nd edition,2007 (5th Reprint 2009).
- A. Chakrabarti, D.P. Kothari and A.K. Mukhopadhyay, "Performance, Operation and Control of EHV Transmission Systems," Wheeler Publishing, New Delhi, 1995
- C.S. Indulkar and D.P. Kothari,K. Ramalingam "Power System Transients: A Statistical Approach," Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 1996. SECOND EDITION 2010.
- D.P. Kothari and I.J. Nagrath, "Theory and Problems of Basic Electrical Engineering," Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 1998.(11th Reprint 2009)
- D.P. Kothari and D.K. Sharma (Eds.), “Energy Engineering : Theory and Practice”, S. Chand and Co. Ltd., New Delhi, 2000
- D.P Kothari and I.J. Nagrath, “Basic Electrical Engineering”, TMH, New Delhi, 2nd Edn, 2002 (Twentieth Reprint 2009), 3rd Edn,2010.
- D.P. Kothari and J. S. Dhillon, “Power System Optimization”, Prentice-Hall of India, 2004.(2nd Edition in Press).
- D.P. Kothari and Anshu Saxena, “Understanding Hypermedia: From Multimedia to Virtual Reality”, Prentice-Hall of India, 2004.
- D.P. Kothari, Rakesh Ranjan and K.C. Singhal, “Renewable Energy Sources and Technology”, Prentice-Hall of India, 2007. SECOND EDN 2011.
- Akhtar Kalam & D.P. Kothari, “Power System Protection and Communication “, New Age International (P) Limited, Publishers, New Delhi 2010.
- D.P. Kothari and P.M.V. Subba Rao, “Power Generation” in “Springer Handbook of Mechanical Engineering” ed. by Grote, Antonsson, 2009.
- D.P. Kothari, Shailesh Upadhyay and Ujala Shanker, “Renewable Energy Technologies for Cooking: Transforming Rural Lives” IEEE Technology and Society. Fall 2013
- "Tamil Nadu / Vellore News : D.P. Kothari named IEEE Fellow". The Hindu. 27 December 2010. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Wind Energy in India: Shifting Paradigms and Challenges Ahead". Cedb.asce.org. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "D. P. Kothari: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Dr. D P Kothari, NAMED 2011 IEEE FELLOW – BITSAA International". Bitsaa.org. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Tamil Nadu / Vellore News : Award for VIT University V–C". The Hindu. 19 August 2009. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- "Electric Machines Information Center: About the Authors". highered.mheducation.com. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- Modern power system analysis – D. P. Kothari, I. J. Nagrath – Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 28 October 2011.