D. A. Carson
D. A. Carson
|Thesis||Predestination and Responsibility (1975)|
|Doctoral advisor||Barnabas Lindars|
|Influences||Cornelius Van Til|
|School or tradition|
|Institutions||Trinity Evangelical Divinity School|
|Doctoral students||Andreas J. Köstenberger|
Donald Arthur Carson (born December 21, 1946) is Emeritus Professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and co-founder of the Gospel Coalition. He is a prominent evangelical scholar and author.
Carson has been described as doing "the most seminal New Testament work by contemporary evangelicals" and as "one of the last great Renaissance men in evangelical biblical scholarship." He has written on a wide range of topics including New Testament, hermeneutics, biblical theology, the Greek New Testament, the use of the Old Testament in the New, and more.
Background and education
Carson was born on December 21, 1946, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. His parents were Thomas Donald McMillan Carson and Elizabeth Margaret (née Maybury). He grew up in Drummondville, the second of three children, where his father pastored a bilingual church. His father planted multiple churches and pastored in French-speaking Canada. Carson spent the years of 1963–1967 in Montreal at McGill University where he earned his Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry and mathematics. He then moved to Toronto where he completed his Master of Divinity degree from Central Baptist Seminary (now Heritage Baptist College and Heritage Theological Seminary). From 1970 to 1972, he pastored in Richmond, British Columbia, and was ordained in 1972. In 1972, Carson moved to England to pursue a Doctor of Philosophy degree in the New Testament from the University of Cambridge which he completed in 1975.
At Cambridge, Carson studied under Barnabas Lindars, whose Festschrift he edited in 1988. His dissertation was entitled, Predestination and Responsibility: Elements of Tension-Theology in the Fourth Gospel Against Jewish Background. A revised and simplified form of his dissertation was published in 1981 under the title, Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Themes in Tension.
Upon completion of his doctorate, Carson moved back to Canada and served for three years at Northwest Baptist Theological College (now Northwest Baptist Seminary) in Vancouver as associate professor of New Testament and later as founding dean of the seminary in 1976. Carson joined the Trinity Evangelical Divinity School faculty in 1978 after then dean, Kenneth Kantzer, heard him deliver a paper at a theological conference. Carson served as Associate Professor of New Testament until 1982 when he became full professor. From 1991 to 2018, Carson was Research Professor of New Testament. He is now Emeritus Professor of New Testament.
Carson has authored and edited over 60 books. He is the editor of many series including the New Studies in Biblical Theology (NSBT), the Pillar New Testament Commentary, the NIV Biblical Theology Study Bible, Studies in Biblical Greek, and more. He has served as editor for a variety of academic journals. In the past, he served as editor of the Trinity Journal (1980–86) and book review editor of the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (1979–1986). From 1991 to 1996, he served as the co-chair of the Biblical Greek and Linguistics section of the Society of Biblical Literature.
In 2005, Carson founded The Gospel Coalition along with pastor Tim Keller. The Gospel Coalition is known for its popular website, conferences, and other resource materials. Carson was the President of The Gospel Coalition until January 20, 2020, when Julius Kim was selected as his successor. Carson transitioned to the role of Theologian-at-Large, the position he currently holds.
Carson is passionate about international ministry and seeking the unity of the church worldwide. For a number of years, he served the World Evangelical Alliance working in the Faith and Church Study Unit. During his time chairing the Faith and Church Study Unit, Carson promoted evangelical scholarship across the world. He encouraged scholars and pastors from Nigeria, Indonesia, Japan, India, Europe, and across the world to write about global solutions for problems facing the church. Under his tenure at the World Evangelical Alliance, he produced four volumes containing contributions from international scholars.
In 2011, a Festschrift was published in his honor, entitled Understanding the Times: New Testament Studies in the 21st Century: Essays in Honor of D. A. Carson on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday. Contributors included Andreas J. Köstenberger, Grant Osborne, Mark Dever, Douglas Moo, Peter O'Brien, and Craig Blomberg.
- Carson, D. A. (1979). The King James Version Debate: A Plea for Realism. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 0-8010-2427-7.
- ——— (1984). Exegetical Fallacies. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 0-8010-2499-4.
- ——— (1987). Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12-14. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0-801-02521-1.
- ——— (1990). How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 0-8010-3125-7.
- ———; Morris, Leon; Moo, Douglas J. (1991). An Introduction to the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-51940-9. OCLC 24218222.
- ——— (1991). The Gospel according to John. PNTC. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 0-851-11749-X.
- ——— (1992). A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers (1st ed.). Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press. ISBN 978-0-851-10976-3.
- ——— (1993). The Cross and Christian Ministry: Leadership Lessons from 1 Corinthians. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 0-8010-9168-3.
- ——— (1996). Basics for Believers: An Exposition of Philippians. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0801054945.
- ——— (1998). The Inclusive Language Debate: A Plea for Realism. Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press. ISBN 0-85111-584-5.
- ——— (1999). The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 1-58134-126-1.
- ——— (1998). For the Love of God, 2 volume devotional commentary based on Robert Murray M'Cheyne's system for reading the Bible through in one year. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 1-58134-815-0.
- ——— (2000). Telling the Truth: Evangelizing Postmoderns. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-24334-2.
- ——— (2002). Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Perspective in Tension. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. ISBN 978-1-579-10859-5.
- ——— (2002). Gagging of God, The: Christianity Confronts Pluralism. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-24286-4.
- ——— (2005). Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church: Understanding a Movement and Its Implications. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 0-310-25947-9.
- ———; Moo, Douglas J. (2005). An Introduction to the New Testament (Revised 2nd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-23859-1.
- ——— (2008). Christ and Culture Revisited. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-8028-3174-3.
- ——— (2008). Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-4335-0199-9.
- ——— (2009). The Intolerance of Tolerance. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-83170-5. OCLC 768806216.
- ——— (2009). Evangelicalism: What Is It and Is It Worth Keeping?. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433511226. OCLC 1433511223.
- ——— (2010). Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1-4335-1125-7.
- ——— (2010). Sermon on the Mount: An Exposition of Matthew 5-7. Paternoster. ISBN 978-1-850-78889-8.
- ——— (2010). The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place In God's. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0-801-01372-0.
- ——— (2012). Jesus the Son of God: A Christological Title Often Overlooked, Sometimes Misunderstood, and Currently Disputed. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 978-1433537967.
- ——— (2015). Praying with Paul: A Call To Spiritual Reformation (2nd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-801-09710-2. - revised edition of A Call to Spiritual Reformation of 1992
- ———; Seifrid, Mark A.; O'Brien, Peter T., eds. (2001). Justification And Variegated Nomism: Volume 1: The Complexities of Second Temple Judaism. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-8010-2272-2.
- ———; Seifrid, Mark A.; O'Brien, Peter T., eds. (2004). Justification And Variegated Nomism: Volume 2: The Paradoxes of Paul. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-8010-2741-3.
- ———; Beale, G. K., eds. (2008). Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-8010-2693-5.
- ———; Keller, Timothy, eds. (2012). The Gospel as Center: Renewing Our Faith and Reforming Our Ministry Practices. Gospel Coalition Booklets. Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books. ISBN 9781433515613. OCLC 730405327.
- ———, ed. (2016). The Enduring Authority of the Christian Scriptures. Downers Grove, IL: Inter-Varsity Press. ISBN 978-1783594603.
Chapters and contributions
- ——— (1984). "Matthew". In Gaebelein, Frank E. (ed.). Expositor's Bible Commentary: Matthew-Luke. 8. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-36500-6.
- ——— (June 1993). "Evil and Suffering in the World of a Good and Sovereign God". Reaper: 6–9, 36.
- ——— (April 25, 1994). "Five Gospels, No Christ: In their attempt to rescue the Bible from conservatives, scholars in the Jesus Seminar became liberal fundamentalists". Christianity Today. 38 (5): 30–33.
- ——— (August 1995). "Jesus the Temple of God". The Evangelical Magazine of Wales: 8–9.
- ——— (November 15, 1999). "Are Christians Required to Tithe?". Christianity Today. 43 (13): 94.
- ——— (1999). "On Distorting the Love of God". Bibliotheca Sacra. 156: 3–12.
- Mark A. Noll, Between Faith and Criticism, 2d ed. (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1989), 136.
- Köstenberger, Andreas J. "Detailed biography on D.A. Carson" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-08-24. Page 5.
- Carson, D. A.; Williamson, H. G. M. (1988). It Is Written: Scripture Citing Scripture (1 ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- D.A. Carson, Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility: Biblical Themes in Tension (Atlanta: John Knox, 1981).
- "D.A. Carson, PhD | Trinity Evangelical Divinity School". divinity.tiu.edu.
- Naselli, Andrew. "D. A. Carson's Publications". The Gospel Coalition.
- "The Gospel Coalition (TGC)". The Gospel Coalition.
- Hansen, Collin. "Julius Kim Selected as President of The Gospel Coalition". The Gospel Coalition.
- Carson, D. A. (1993). Biblical Interpretation and the Church: Text and Context. Grand Rapids: Baker. Carson, D. A. (1988). The Church in the Bible and the World: An International Study. Grand Rapids: Baker. Carson, D. A. (1993). Worship: Adoration and Action. Grand Rapids: Baker. Carson, D. A. (1990). Teach Us to Pray: Prayer in the Bible and the World. Grand Rapids: Baker.
- Köstenberger, Andreas J. "Detailed biography on D.A. Carson" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-08-24. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School's page on Dr. D. A. Carson
- D. A. Carson blog
- D. A. Carson (Theopedia)
- Debate Over Gender-Inclusive Language
- Editorial Publicaciones Andamio
Publications and Audio:
- The Gospel Coalition collection: Includes a comprehensive bibliography (over 350 free PDFs) and sermons and lectures (about 500 free MP3s)