D. Babu Paul
Daniel Babu Paul IAS
Former Additional Chief Secretary
|Born||11 April 1941|
|Died||13 April 2019 (aged 78)|
Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
|Alma mater||College of Engineering, Trivandrum|
|Home town||Kuruppampadi, Kerala|
Daniel Babu Paul (Malayalam: ഡി. ബാബു പോൾ; 11 April 1941 – 13 April 2019) was an Indian civil servant, writer, member of the Indian Administrative Service and member Ombudsman for local self-government institutions of Kerala during 2000–2001. He was the Former Finance Secretary, Government of Kerala. He retired in the rank of Chief Secretary.
He was a member of Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB).
D. Babu Paul was born to Fr. Paulose Cheerothottam Kor Episcopa, a Jacobite priest and headmaster, and Mary Paul, a teacher on 11 April 1941. His brother is K. Roy Paul. He was a rank holder in class X (10th grade) and completed his Pre-degree from Union Christian College, Aluva. He was the 7th rank holder in the Civil Service examination.
He died on Saturday, 13 April 2019, at the age of 78.
His wife Anna Babu Paul (Nirmala) (1943–2000), was the former president of YWCA Trivandrum and secretary of The Trivandrum's Women Club. She was also a member of the Censor Board of Film Certification. He is survived by children Cherian C Paul and Mariam Joseph.
This biographical section is written like a résumé. (April 2019)
Babu Paul held the following offices: Vice Chancellor of Kerala University; Lecturer in Civil Engineering; Additional Chief Secretary in the rank of Chief Secretary of State [1998–2000]; First Member, Board of Revenue, and Principal Secretary to Government, Tourism, Information and Cultural Affairs, also in the rank of Chief Secretary; Principal Secretary to Govt, Tourism, Information & Cultural Affairs [1996–1998]; Second Member, Board of Revenue, in charge of Land Revenue and Transport Commissioner Secretary to Government, General Education [1988–96]; Chairman, Cochin Port Trust [1984–88]; Finance Secretary, Kerala State [1982–84]; Secretary to Government, Transport, Fisheries and Ports [1980–82]; Expenditure Secretary, Kerala State [1979–80]; Chief Executive, State Road Transport Corporation [1977–79]; Managing Director, Travancore Titanium [1975–77]; Project Coordinator, Idukki Hydel Project & District Collector [1971–75]; District Collector, Palakkad [1970–71]; Managing Director, Handloom Development Corporation[1968–70]; Sub Collector Assistant Collector [Under Training]. He was a member of Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board.
Books and writings
Babu Paul published his first book at the age of 19. The book Oru Yathrayude Ormakal was written in memory of his trip to Europe to participate in the International Student's Conference. His Autobiographical Service story "Katha Ithuvare" was published in 2001. He is the writer of the first Malayalam Bible Dictionary Veda Sabda Rathnakaran. He also wrote - A Queen's Story: Five Centuries of Cochin Port. He has written various other English and Malayalam books.
A list of books authored by him includes:
- 1962 Oru Yatayude Ormakal
- 1971 Utharasyam Disi
- 1976 Giriparvam
- 1980 Kremlin Berlin
- 1980 Eee Paara Mel
- 1986 Nippon no omoyde
- 1988 Achan, Achan, Acharyan
- 1997 Socrateesum Sundaran Nadarum
- 1997 Vedasabdaratnakaranm
- 1998 Pralayangalude Pralayangalude
- 2003 Ennu Ezhutappettirikkunnu
- 2004 Aluvappuzha Pinneyum Ozhukunnu
- 2004 Nilavil Virinja Kappippookkal
- 2004 Eee Muttathu Oru Mullassery Undayirunnu
- 2007 Pallikkentinu Palliikkoodam
- 2008 Katha Itu Ware
- 2009 Pattom Mutal Oommen Chandi Ware
- 2009 Ormakalku Seershakamilla
- 2009 Sambhavami YugeYuge
- 2009 Yatrakkidayil
- 2010 Chila Cheria Valiya Karyangal
- 2010 Kuttikalude Bible
- 2011 Anurananam
- 2011 Rekhayanam
- 2012 Goodbye VS
- 2012 Ormakalude Padippura
- 2012 Ulpathirahasyam
- 2013 Viswasapramanagal Veekshanaviharangal
- 2013 Francis Weendum Wannu
- 2014 Kristubhagavadgita
- 2014 Vocabur Fransiscos
- 2015 Nanmayilekkoru Teerthadanam
- 2016 Aksharangal Nakshatrangal
- 2017 Bibililekkoru Kilivatil
Babu Paul received numerous awards for his Bible dictionary, Veda Shabda Ratnakaram. They are as follows: Honorary Doctorate from Damascus St. Efraim Unity; Gundert Award presented by International School of Dravidian Languages for the best dictionary in Dravidian language; Guruvayoor Nair Samajam Award; Alexander Marthoma Award; N V Sahitya Puraskaram; Samskara Deepam Award by Indian Institution of Christian Studies, and a fellowship conferred by the same; Christian Literary Award, Keralala History Association Award for Queen's Story which is the history of Cochin port; Sophia Award for the total contribution in the field of culture; MAGA Award from the Malayali Association for his contributions to the cultural development of Kerala; M. K. K. Nair Award for exhibiting interest in temple arts; Bar Eto briro Award (The highest a lay man can aspire for in the Syrian Orthodox Church, the only recipient in India); Rajiv Gandhi Award for his excellence in Civil Service.
Awards received by him include the following:
- Forala History Association Award for the work, A Queen's Story Five Centuries of Cochin Port
- Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for Vedasabdaratnakaram
- ISDL's Gundert Award
- NVSahitya Puraskaram
- YMCA Ernakulam
- Christian Reformation Literature Society
- Samskaradeepam Award
- Fellowship of the Indian Institute for Christian Studies
- KCBC Media Award
- Faith Award
- Vedaratnam Award
- Kudumbaratna Puraskaram
- C Sankaranarayanan Media Award for the Best Columnist (2013)
- Fr. Vadakkan Award
- Marthoma Mathews I Award
- World Malayali Council Award (2015)
- Panditaratna Puraskaram
- Tunchan Smaraka Samiti Acharyavandanam
- Guruvayoor Nair Samajam Award
- Paramacharya Puraskaram (2012)
- Kerala Cultural Award
- M. K. K. Nair Award (2000)
- Travel Agents Association of India Award
- Valiyadivanji Raja Kesavadasan Award
- Rajiv Gandhi Award (1999)
- Vaikom Muhammed Basheer Puraskaram
- Sukumar Azhikode Smaraka Puraskaram (2017)
- Musaliar A ward (2018)
- Fine Arts Society Fellowship (FAS Perumbavoor)
- Sri Mahalakshmi Puraskaram (2017)
- Janasewa Puraskaram (2012)
- Alexander Marthoma Award (1998)
- Sophia Award
- Navaratri Trust Award (2018)
- "Administrator par excellence, Dr Babu Paul passes away". OnManorama.
- ":: KIIFB :: KERALA INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT FUND BOARD ::". www.kiifb.kerala.gov.in. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- "Kerala's former chief secretary Babu Paul's story so far ends". Asianet News Network Pvt Ltd.
- "The Herald of India". www.heraldofindia.com.
- Paul, D. Babu (14 April 1987). "A queen's story : five centuries of Cochin Port". New Delhi : Vikas Pub. House – via Trove.
- "ഡോ. ഡി.ബാബുപോള് അന്തരിച്ചു". Mathrubhumi.
- "buy the books written by D Babu Paul from Kerala Book Store – Online Shopping Store to buy Malayalam Books, eBooks, Audio Books and Movies". keralabookstore.com.
- "This is the book written by Babu Paul after 22 years long research". Mathrubhumi. Retrieved 2019-04-13.