D. Bap Reddy
|D. Bap Reddy|
|Former Deputy Regional Representative of Asia and Pacific for FAO|
|Preceded by||S. H. Prakoso|
Dwaram Bap Reddy is a scientist and administrator who served at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
Bap Reddy was among the earliest Indian Reddys to come to United States and arrived in 1946. He received his PhD from the University of California, Berkeley, United States in 1950. He served from 1978 to 1982 as the Deputy Regional Representative (Director of FAO with Diplomatic status level) of Asia and Pacific for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations(FAO), the primary worldwide non-governmental organization responsible for food and agricultural issues. He served as Acting Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative (with rank equivalent to Acting Deputy Minister, acted in a position which is equivalent to Level 2 of Washington Executive Schedule with the same privileges and immunities accorded to diplomatic envoys in accordance with international law)  of Asia and Pacific for FAO in 1980. He was FAO Representative (Director of FAO with rank same as of Consul-General and rank also equal to that of Level 5 of the Washington Executive Schedule) in Indonesia from 1982 to 1986 and also FAO Representative (with the same privileges and immunities accorded to all UN agencies' heads) in Nepal in 1987. During his service he met various dignitaries, leaders and heads of government. Prior to serving with the FAO, he was an active researcher with more than 200 papers and articles to his credit. He was directly involved in the establishment of the plant protection counters at Indian ports of entry, a vital element in protecting India's food supply. In 1964 he was appointed by the Government of India to a Ministerial level Committee on the Harmful Effects of Pesticides. The Committee was headed by M.S Thacker, a Member of the Planning Commission. Apart from making many useful recommendations, the Committee advocated the introduction of National Pesticide Legislation.
Awards and recognition
- During the Eleventh Session of the Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission which has a membership of 24 countries, for which he was the Executive Secretary, the member nations paid a tribute to his contributions; to quote:" Dr. Reddy has been a driving force in plant protection throughout the Region. For extended periods he has carried out extensively and efficiently a wide range of activities,with little permanent assistance. In so as this Committee is concerned he has effectively organized six of the biennial meetings of the Committee as well as numerous projects on plant protection in the Region have received his continuing attention. Members of the Committee join in thanking Dr. Reddy for being the enthusiast who placed Plant Protection in South East Asia and the Pacific Region in a position where it is now receiving due consideration".
- Invited by The Royal Society of London to deliver a Special Lecture on Food Production(1965).
- In his honor, the Plant Protection Association of India has instituted a national award, the Dr. D. Bap Reddy National Award for Integrated pest management, which is awarded annually to entomologists.
- "Article in Oakland Tribune regarding D. Bap Reddy, President of the Hindustani Students Association, at the University of California at Berkeley in 1948.". Newspaperarchive.com. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "Article in Berkeley Daily Gazette regarding Bap Reddy, President of University of California Club, sending a resolution to Premier Nehru of India and to Devidas Gandhi in 1948.".
- Dr. D. Bap Reddy, Acting Regional Representative.
- "Rank of Acting Regional Representative" (PDF).
- "Privileges and immunities of UN Specialized Agencies" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-03.
- "Rank of FAO Representative".
- Dr.D.Bap Reddy, FAO Representative in Indonesia.
- Dr. D. Bap Reddy, Executive Secretary of Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission.
- "Dr. D. Bap Reddy Executive Secretary, Asia and Pacific Plant Protection Commission" (PDF).
- "Dr. D. Bap Reddy National Award in Integrated Pest Management". Ias.ac.in. Retrieved 2010-04-29.