D. Bruce Hanes
Issuance of Same-sex Marriage Licenses
On July 23, 2013, Hanes announced that his office would issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. On September 12, 2013, Judge Dan Pellegrini issued an order to cease the issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couples in Pennsylvania.
In late May 2014, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania dropped its case against Hanes, as the law Hanes was accused of having violated was deemed unconstitutional. A federal district court essentially vindicated Hanes's stance that the state law discriminating against same-sex couples was unconstitutional. On May 28, 2014, Montgomery County resumed issuing marriage licences to same-sex couples.
- "Who is D. Bruce Hanes". 2013-08-06. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Parks, Jessica (July 23, 2013). "Montgomery County will issue same-sex marriage licenses". Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Health v. D. Bruce Hanes, in his official capacity as the Clerk of the Orphans' Court of Montgomery County" (PDF). 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- Gambino, Matthew (September 18, 2013). "Official who issued same-sex marriage licenses removed as volunteer at Catholic school". Catholic Philly. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "Montco issues first same-sex marriage licenses after court ban lifted". Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Finally, Montco to issue same-sex marriage licenses". Retrieved 28 May 2014.