D. C. Moore
|D. C. Moore|
1980 (age 37–38)
Duston, Northamptonshire, England
David "D. C." Moore (born 1980) is a British playwright.
He was raised in Duston, Northamptonshire. Now based in London, he started out as an assistant director and worked with Rupert Goold on productions of The Weir and Waiting for Godot. He was then part of the Royal Court Theatre's Young Writers' Programme. His first play Alaska was produced upstairs at the Royal Court in 2007, and he won the inaugural Tom Erhardt Award for promising new playwright in 2008.
His second play at the Royal Court, The Empire, about young men in the War in Afghanistan, opened in 2010 and received positive reviews. On the strength of that play he was nominated for the 2010 Evening Standard Award for Most Promising Playwright. The play was nominated for the 2010 Olivier Awards in the Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliate Theatre category.
Honest, a 45-minute monologue, was produced by Royal & Derngate in Northampton in 2010 at the Mailcoach pub and also received good reviews. It was then revived at the 2010 Edinburgh Fringe Festival at Milne's Bar as part of the Assembly programme. It is being revived once more for the Edinburgh Fringe in 2014 by Organised Crime Theatre Company at The Space @ Jury's Inn.
His play The Swan premiered as part of a double feature in a production staged in the National Theatre's Paintframe, where the sets are usually painted, in 2011.
- Alaska (2007): Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Royal Court Theatre
- The Empire (2010): Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Royal Court Theatre
- Honest (2010): Mailcoach Pub (Northampton)
- Town (2010): Royal Theatre (Northampton)
- The Swan (2011): The Paintframe, National Theatre
- Straight (2012): Sheffield Crucible and Bush Theatre
- Another Place (2014): Theatre Royal, Plymouth
- Common (2017): National Theatre, London
- "Moore the merrier as play comes to Town". Northamptonshire Telegraph. 28 May 2010. Archived from the original on 9 March 2016.
- Taylor, Paul, "The Empire, Theatre Upstairs, London", The Independent, 20 April 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Marlowe, Sam, "The Empire", Time Out, 14 April 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Morris, Caroline (4 March 2010). "Honest". The Stage Reviews. Archived from the original on 8 October 2012.
- "Honest". Edinburgh Festival Fringe. 30 August 2010. Archived from the original on 17 May 2014.
- "Honest". Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Archived from the original on 27 August 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Gardner, Lyn, "This Week's New Theatre: Town", The Guardian, 19 June 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- "Alaska", Royal Court Archive
- "The Empire at the Royal Court Theatre". Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Billington, Michael, "Town", The Guardian, 22 June 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- The Swan http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/65881/productions/double-feature-1.html
- "Another Place". Theatre Royal Plymouth. Retrieved 18 August 2015.