D. G. Hessayon
D. G. Hessayon
David Gerald Hessayon
1928 (age 90–91)
|Known for||"Expert Guides"|
David Gerald Hessayon (born 1928) is a British author and botanist of Cypriot descent who is known for a best-selling series of gardening manuals known as the "Expert Guides" under his title Dr. D. G. Hessayon. The series started in 1958 with Be Your Own Gardening Expert and in 2008 it celebrated its 50th anniversary and the 50 millionth copy in print. They have become the best selling gardening books in history.
Hessayon is the son of a Cypriot landowner and grew up in Salford, Lancashire, England. He gained a Bachelor of Science degree in botany from Leeds University. In 1950, he travelled to the United States where he worked as the editor of a small town newspaper. In 1953, he went to the Gold Coast as a Research Fellow at the University College before returning to Manchester to obtain his doctorate in soil ecology. In 1955, he accepted a position as chief scientist with Pan Britannica Industries Ltd (PBI), becoming chairman in 1972. It was whilst working for PBI that Dr. Hessayon formulated the idea for his "Expert" guides to gardening.
The "Expert" guides
A steady stream of publications followed the initial Be Your Own Gardening Expert, each maintaining the basic formula of down-to-earth writing with pictures, charts, and photographs. On the British bestsellers list for the 1980s, two Experts were in the Top 10. There are (as of 2009[update]) over 20 "Expert" titles in 22 languages and in Britain their sales continue to dominate the gardening paperback lists. The Vegetable & Herb Expert  continues to be the best seller.
I would say that the Expert Books have been the biggest innovation in gardening publications since the death of William Robinson in 1938
In 1993, he received the first-ever Lifetime Achievement award at the British Book Awards. He was also awarded the Veitch Memorial Medal of the Royal Horticultural Society in 1992 for his contribution to the advancement and improvement of the science and practice of horticulture. In 1999, he was awarded a Guinness World Records certificate for being Britain's "bestselling non-fiction author of the 1990s".
Despite a resolve to stay out of the limelight, he has received further awards- a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Garden Media Guild, three honorary doctorates  and, in 2007, an OBE. In 2012 he was included in the Daily Mail list of "60 truly great Elizabethans" for "teaching millions of us how to garden".
- "booktrade.info - Book Trade Announcements - Expert Books Celebrates Its First 50 Years Of Publishing". Archived from the original on 2010-09-16. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- theBookseller.com Archived 2010-07-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Transworld Archived 2008-07-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Amazon.co.uk: Vegetable and Herb Expert: D.G. Hessayon: Books
- YOU'RE BOOKED! | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNETv
- Leader: Raking it in | Books | The Guardian
- GWG Awards: Press Room Archived 2008-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- David Hessayon | Honorary graduations 2008 | Media | University of Leeds Archived 2009-02-13 at the Wayback Machine