D. J. Augustin
Augustin with the Texas Longhorns in 2008
|No. 14 – Oklahoma City Thunder|
November 10, 1987 |
New Orleans, Louisiana
|Listed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Listed weight||183 lb (83 kg)|
|High school||Brother Martin (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Hightower (Missouri City, Texas)
|NBA draft||2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9th overall|
|Selected by the Charlotte Bobcats|
|2015–present||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Darryl Gerard "D. J." Augustin, Jr. (born November 10, 1987) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Oklahoma City Thunder of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Augustin played point guard for the University of Texas Longhorns from 2006–2008. He was drafted ninth overall by the Charlotte Bobcats of the National Basketball Association in 2008. Augustin is listed as 6'0" (1.83 m) by the NBA but stands 5'10" (1.78 m) barefoot according to the 2008 pre-draft measurements.
- 1 Early years
- 2 College career
- 3 NBA career
- 4 NBA career statistics
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Augustin was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. His family was forced out of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. He played his senior year at Hightower High School in Missouri City, Texas, however, he earned his diploma from Brother Martin High School in New Orleans, and he participated in the graduation ceremonies with his Hightower classmates on May 28, 2006 at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas. While at Brother Martin, Augustin led the team to two state championships.
While at Hightower, Augustin thrilled the Hightower faithful with his pinpoint passing and precise shooting. His first game as a Hurricane was against Madison High School, and Augustin nearly pulled off a triple-double in front of a packed house and TV cameras with 29 points, 8 rebounds and 14 assists in an 83–59 victory. He led Hightower to the third round of the playoffs before they were eliminated, and ended the season at 26–4. Augustin won numerous honors after the season as he was named district 20-5A MVP, was named as the Houston Chronicle player of the year, made the first team all Greater Houston, and first team all state teams. Augustin finished his high school career by being named a McDonalds All American, and started as point guard for the West squad against his soon to be teammate at Texas, Kevin Durant. He was also a fourth-team Parade All-American.
Augustin was one of seven freshman to join the Longhorn basketball program for the 2006–07 season. He started all 35 games in the season as the point guard for the Longhorns, averaging 14.4 points and 6.7 assists per game. For his contributions, he was named to both the All-Big 12 Second Team and the Big 12 All-Rookie Team by Big 12 coaches and Associated Press.
In the fall 2007 semester, he achieved a 4.0 GPA, raising his cumulative GPA to a 3.64. On February 27, 2008, he was named first-team Academic All-America by the College Sports Information Directors of America. He became the second Texas Longhorn basketball player to achieve the honor, following Jim Krivacs, who received it in 1979. Augustin was also named to the USBWA All-America First Team.
Charlotte Bobcats (2008–2012)
Augustin was selected ninth in the 2008 NBA Draft by the Charlotte Bobcats. On July 8, 2008, he was signed to the rookie scale contract. Under the league's rookie scale, the deal will pay him $1.8 million in the upcoming season and nearly $2 million the next.
On June 29, 2012, the Bobcats extended a qualifying to Augustin, making him a restricted free agent.
On July 12, 2012, the Bobcats withdrew their qualifying offer, making Augustin an unrestricted free agent.
Indiana Pacers (2012–2013)
Toronto Raptors (2013)
Chicago Bulls (2013–2014)
On December 13, 2013, he signed with the Chicago Bulls. On January 11, 2014, Augustin recorded a season high 12 assists in a 103–97 win over the Charlotte Bobcats. On March 30, 2014, Augustin scored a then career-high 33 points in a 107–102 win over the Boston Celtics.
Detroit Pistons (2014–2015)
On July 15, 2014, Augustin signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Detroit Pistons. On January 25, 2015, in his first game as a starter, replacing the injured Brandon Jennings, Augustin scored a career-high 35 points in a 110–114 loss to the Toronto Raptors.
Oklahoma City Thunder (2015–present)
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- Points: 35 vs. Toronto 01/25/15
- Rebounds: 8 3 times
- Assists: 14 vs. Detroit 04/10/11
- Steals: 5 vs. Cleveland 04/05/11
Awards and honors
- 2004 New Orleans Times-Picayune Player of the Year
- 2004, 2005 Louisiana State 5A Basketball Championship Tournament MVP
- 2006 McDonald's All-American
- 2006 Parade fourth-team All-American
- 2006 Texas Association of Basketball Coaches (TABC) Class 5A All-State Team
- 2006 Texas District 20-5A MVP
- 2006–2007 Four-time recipient of Phillips 66 Big 12 Rookie of the Week award (Dec. 11, Jan. 22, Feb. 12 and Mar. 5)
- 2007 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-America Team
- 2007 All-Big 12 Second Team
- 2007 Big 12 All-Rookie Team
- 2007 USBWA All-District VII team (one of 10 players selected)
- 2007 NABC All-District 9 First Team
- 2008 Sports Illustrated First Team All-American
- 2008 ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America University Division First Team
- 2008 Academic All-Big 12 First Team
- 2008 Bob Cousy Award winner
- 2008 USBWA First Team All-American
- 2008 USBWA District VII Player of the Year
- 2008 Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy candidate
- 2008 Oscar Robertson Trophy finalist (one of 10)
- 2007–08 Stub Hub Legends Classic MVP
- 2007–08 Phillips 66 Big 12 Co-Player of the Week (Jan. 7); Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week (Dec. 10); The Sporting News National Player of the Week (Dec. 3)
- 2008 NABC All-District 9 First Team
- 2008 All-Big 12 First Team
- 2008 Associated Press First Team All-American
- 2008 Wooden Award All-America Team (one of 5 finalists for award)
- 2009 All-Rookie second team
- DraftExpress: Pre Draft Measurements
- Lawlor, Christopher (2005-02-14). "Highly regarded New Orleans prep guard lands in Texas". USA Today. Retrieved 2007-12-15.
- D. J. Augustin – Yahoo! Sports
- D.J. Augustin profile, texassports.com
- "Jones, Aggies Featured On SI Cover" (Press release). Texas A&M Athletics. 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2007-11-17.
- TexasSports.com - Augustin named to ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District 6 First Team
- "Augustin named Academic All-American.". Austin American-Statesman. Archived from the original on 2008-03-06. Retrieved 2008-02-28.
- A Big 12 Point Guard Wins Cousy Award For Second Straight Season :: <blank>
- Texas' Augustin, Abrams entering NBA draft
- Augustin hires agent
- "Bobcats Sign D.J. Augustin and Alexis Ajinca". NBA.com. 2008-07-08. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Bobcats ink Augustin, Ajinca, have yet to sign Weaver".
- "Bobcats exercise option on Augustin". NBA.com. 2009-10-06. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Bobcats Exercise Options on Henderson and Augustin". NBA.com. 2010-10-29. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Bobcats Extend Offers to Augustin and Brown". NBA.com. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "Bobcats withdraw qualifying offer to Augustin". Yahoo! Sports. 2012-07-12.
- Pacers Sign Point Guard DJ Augustin
- Raptors Sign Free-Agent Guard D.J. Augustin
- Raptors Waive Augustin
- BULLS SIGN FREE AGENT GUARD D.J. AUGUSTIN
- "Charlotte Bobcats at Chicago Bulls Box Score, January 11, 2014". Basketball-Reference.com. January 11, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2014.
- Notebook: Bulls 107, Celtics 102
- Detroit Pistons Sign Free Agent Guard D.J. Augustin
- Sources: D.J. Augustin signing two-year deal with Pistons
- Augustin's 35 pinch-hit points not enough as Pistons fall at Toronto
- "Thunder Acquires Kanter, Novak, Augustin, Singler and Draft Pick". NBA.com. February 19, 2015. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "McDonald's All American Alumni 2007" (PDF) (Press release).
- "Final Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Awards For 2006-07 Announced (March 5)" (Press release).
- "2006-07 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Awards Announced" (Press release).
- "USBWA NAMES 2006-07 MEN'S ALL-DISTRICT TEAMS" (Press release).
- "National Association of Basketball Coaches Announce 2007 Division I All-District Teams" (Press release).
- "2008 ESPN THE MAGAZINE ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICA TEAM" (PDF) (Press release).
- "2008 Academic All-Big 12 Men's Basketball Team Announced" (PDF) (Press release).
- "Past Cousy Award Winners".
- "USBWA NAMES 2007-08 ALL-AMERICANS" (Press release).
- "2008 Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Men's Basketball Awards Selected" (Press release).
- "2008 AP All-American Team".
- "Big 12 Leads Nation With Three On Wooden All-America Team".
- NBA.com: All-Rookie Teams
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to DJ Augustin.|