D. J. Campbell (American football)
Campbell at California in 2010.
|Date of birth:||July 24, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Cheyenne (NV) High School|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 7 / Pick: 216|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
|Stats at NFL.com|
Darion Lamar Campbell, Jr. (born July 24, 1989) is an American football safety who currently plays for the Arizona Cardinals. He was originally drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the seventh round (216th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. Campbell played college football at California.
Campbell played high school basketball and football at Cheyenne High School in North Las Vegas, Nevada, where he was a two-time first-team All-State selection in the latter sport. As a senior cornerback, Campbell led his team with 61 tackles and had eight interceptions, including four returned for touchdowns. He was ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 3 prospect in the state.
Campbell played college football at California after also receiving 39 scholarship offers from schools such as Arizona State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV and UTEP. In four seasons at Cal, Campbell started 14 of 46 games played and totaled 110 tackles (4.5 for a loss), two sacks, two interceptions, seven pass breakups, one forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries.
After being named Scout Team Player of the Year while redshirting in 2007, Campbell played in 23 games during his first two seasons and totaled 18 tackles. He had 21 tackles in 12 games as a junior in 2010, making his first career start at Washington State.
2012 NFL Draft
Prior to the 2012 NFL Draft, Campbell ran a 4.51 40-yard dash and posted a 38-inch vertical leap at Cal's Pro Day. His 22 bench press reps of 225 pounds would have tied for first among safeties at the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine. Projected by Pro Football Weekly as a late-round pick, Campbell had a pre-draft visit with the Dallas Cowboys visit in April.
On April 28, Campbell was selected by the Carolina Panthers in the seventh round (216th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. He was the Panthers' seventh and final selection of the draft and joined cornerback Josh Norman as one of two defensive backs selected by the team.
Campbell agreed to terms on a four-year contract with the Panthers on May 10, 2012. As a rookie, he was inactive for the first 11 regular season contests of the year, but ended up starting four of the final five games at strong safety due to an injury to Charles Godfrey. The Panthers won each of his starts, ending the season on a four-game winning streak as Campbell finished his rookie campaign with 12 tackled and a pass defensed.
In 2013, Campbell lost a competition for the Panthers' starting strong safety job to Mike Mitchell during the preseason and eventually landed on injured reserve with a leg injury. He was waived with an injury settlement on September 9, making him a free agent.
The Miami Dolphins signed Campbell to their practice squad on October 18, 2013. On November 11, he was promoted to the active roster to replace waived safety Jordan Kovacs prior to the Dolphins' Monday Night Football meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
San Francisco 49ers
Campbell has an older sister and a younger brother. When he was six years old, his 27-year-old mother, Deborah, suffered a fatal gunshot wound. As a result of the killing, his father, Darion Sr., was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served 13 years in prison and his uncle, Uricos, was convicted of second-degree murder. Campbell, Jr. and his two siblings later lived with his aunt, Valencia, and his uncle.
- "D.J. Campbell biography". CalBears.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "D.J. Campbell". Rivals.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Sports, family helped Carolina Panthers rookie D.J. Campbell deal with mother's killing". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "D.J. Campbell". KFFL.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Carolina Panthers 2012 Picks". ESPN.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Panthers agree to terms with D.J. Campbell". Charlotte Observer. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "D.J. Campbell". Panthers.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "D.J. Campbell: Game Logs at NFL.com". NFL.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Carolina Panthers reach injury settlement with safety DJ Campbell, per Joe Person report". CatScratchReader.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Source: Dolphins try out for defensive backs". NationalFootballPost.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Dolphins promote safety DJ Campbell, Waive Jordan Kovacs". ThePhinsider.com. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- Hurley, Jason. "49ers reportedly sign SS D.J. Campbell, and P Colton Schmidt to reserve/future deals". Ninercaphell.com. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- 49ers Waive Seven Players, Cut Roster To 75