D. J. Durkin
Durkin in August 2017
|Title||Head coach (on admin. leave)|
|Annual salary||$2.5 million|
January 15, 1978|
|Position(s)||Defensive end, outside linebacker|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|2001–2002||Bowling Green (GA)|
|2003–2004||Notre Dame (GA)|
|2005||Bowling Green (DE)|
|2006||Bowling Green (LB/ST)|
|2014||Florida (interim HC)|
|Head coaching record|
Daniel John Durkin (born January 15, 1978) is an American football coach. He is on administrative leave from his position as the football head coach for the University of Maryland. Before Maryland, he was the defensive coordinator at the University of Michigan. He also served as the interim head football coach and defensive coordinator of the Florida Gators football team for the team's 2014 bowl game.
Durkin played defensive end and outside linebacker at Bowling Green from 1997 to 2000, and served as a team captain his final two seasons. He started a total of 33 games in his career and recorded 131 tackles, including 28 for loss. Durkin led the team in sacks in 1998 and finished second in that category in 2000. He earned a bachelor's degree in business marketing in 2001, and a master's degree in educational administration and supervision in 2004.
Durkin began a career in coaching immediately following his playing career. He worked as a graduate assistant at Bowling Green under new head coach Urban Meyer in 2001 and 2002, and at Notre Dame under head coach Tyrone Willingham in 2003 and 2004. He returned to Bowling Green in 2005, where he coached defensive ends, linebackers, and special teams on the staff of Gregg Brandon. In 2007, he moved to Stanford on the first staff of Jim Harbaugh, where he served for three seasons as the Cardinal defensive ends coach and special teams coordinator. In 2010, Durkin was reunited with Meyer when he joined the Florida Gators as linebackers coach and special teams coordinator. He remained on Florida's staff when Will Muschamp took over as head coach in 2010, and in 2013 was promoted to defensive coordinator, replacing Dan Quinn.
On November 22, 2014, Durkin was named interim head coach for Florida's bowl game after the previous head coach, Will Muschamp, announced he would step down following the regular season. Durkin led Florida to a 28–20 victory in the 2015 Birmingham Bowl against East Carolina.
On January 5, 2015, sources confirmed that Durkin was hired as the defensive coordinator of Michigan. The hire reunited Durkin with new Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh. Michigan confirmed the hire on January 8, and announced that Durkin would also coach linebackers.
On August 11, 2018, Durkin was placed on administrative leave after Maryland was placed under investigation amid toxic culture allegations against the team after the death of player Jordan McNair. It remains unknown if he will return or not.
Head coaching record
|Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2014)|
|2014||Florida||1–0[n 1]||0–0||3rd (Eastern)||W Birmingham|
|Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2016–present)|
|2016||Maryland||6–7||3–6||5th (East)||L Quick Lane|
Notable head coaches under whom Durkin has served:
- Urban Meyer: Bowling Green (2001–2002), Florida (2010)
- Jim Harbaugh: Stanford (2007–2009), Michigan (2015)
- Will Muschamp: Florida (2011–2014)
- "DJ Durkin Bio". Retrieved October 28, 2017.
- "DJ Durkin Named Head Football Coach - Maryland Terrapins Athletics - University of Maryland Terps Official Athletic Site". Umterps.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Maese, Rick. "Maryland places DJ Durkin on administrative leave amid reports of football program's toxic culture". Washington Post. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- Autullo, Ryan. "UT's coach Campbell, Durkin set to face off in Florida". Toledo Blade. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Player Bio: D.J. Durkin - GoStanford.com - Stanford University". GoStanford.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Gator Football Coaches & Support Staff". GatorZone.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "D.J. Durkin - Michigan Football". Footballrecruiting.rivals.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Chris Nee Recruiting Analyst. "Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Durkin named Rivals.com Recruiter of Year". Footballrecruiting.rivals.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Defensive coordinator to helm Gators". ESPN.com. November 22, 2014. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- Associated Press 7:34 p.m. EST January 3, 2015 (January 3, 2015). "Gators ride big plays for Birmingham Bowl win". Floridatoday.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "University of Michigan Wolverines Football & Basketball". MLive.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Durkin Hired as Defensive Coordinator, Linebackers Coach". Mgoblue.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Report: D.J. Durkin To Be Next Maryland Head Coach". CBS Detroit.