D. J. Sindh Government Science College
|Type||Intermediate (Pre-Engineering & Pre-Medical) & Undergraduate (B Sc. - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology)|
|Established||17 January 1887|
|Principal||Dr. Muhammad Arshad, PhD (United Kingdom) 18 Oct 2014 till present|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Affiliations||Board of Intermediate Education Karachi and University of Karachi|
D. J. Sindh Government Science College (Diwan Dayaram Jethamal) Sindh Government Science College was named after Dayaram Jethamal.
Inaugurated as Sindh Arts College by Lord Reay, Governor of Bombay, on 17 January 1882, the college was renamed D. J. Science College upon completion of the present structure on 19 November 1887. Located in the heart of old Karachi, the foundation stone for this college was laid in 1882, by Lord Dufferin, Viceroy of India. The college is named after Diwan Dayaram Jethmal, its main benefactor. The cost of construction is reported to have been Rs. 186,514 out of which the government contributed Rs. 97,193, the balance being raised through public donations.
The college has following premises;
- Main Building is divided into two main part, one new portion has the office of the Principal, office superintendent and clerk offices. In this portion, there are departments of Urdu and Statistics in ground floor and the departments of Islamic Studies and Pakistan Studies in first floor. The oldest portion of main building has departments of Biochemistry, Botany, English & Physics in the ground floor, department of Chemistry, Computer Science & Microbiology and also some class rooms in the first floor and department of Zoology in the second floor.
- A. Q. Block has only classrooms, they are specially for first year.
- The is another building on Muhammad bin Qasim Road, behind the main oldest building, it has Main Library, departments of Mathematics and Geology.
- M.Sc. block is under construction. It is opposite to the A. Q. Block.
- State-of-the-art gymnasium is now behind the A. Q. Block.
- The Principal's bungalow is also the one of the oldest building, nowadays, Sindh Textbook Board has occupied this building as camp office.
- Sport Complex is near the P.I.D.C round about and opposite the Pearl Continent Hotel. This complex is used for cricket and football.
Faculties / Departments
The college has the following departments:
- Prof. Rumina Akhter
- Tahira Iftikhar
- Prof. Shamsuddin Abro (Head of Department)
- Miss. Sumaira Manzoor
- Prof. Musadiq Manzoor
- Prof. Touheed Ahmed Alvi (Head of Department)
- Hafiz Muhammad Kifayatullah
- Mr. Asif Shoukat
- Mr. Furqan Qayyum
- Mr. Muhammad Bin Malik
- Mr. Muhmmad Ramzan Siddiqui
- Mr. Syed Ather Ali
- Mr. Zia Shahid
- Ms. Nazish Noor
- Computer Science
- Mr. Jawwad Hassan
- Mr. Mehmood Muhammad
- Mr. Sheeraz Ahmed
- Mr. Syed Amjad Hussain Jafri
- Prof. Sabina Mujeeb
- Prof. Shamiama Faizi (Retired)
- Prof. Tahira Maqbool Musavi
- Mr. Adnan Ahmed Khan
- Mr. Khuda Bux Mangrio
- Geology (Admission has resumed in 2015-16)
- Prof. Syed M. Maroof Hussain
- Islamic Studies
- Mr. Hafiz Hussain Amir
- Prof. Diyal Das
- Prof. Maqsood Ahmed Memon
- Prof. Naeem Iqbal
- Mr. Muhammad Aamir ul Haq
- Mr. Muhammad Shabbir
- Mr. Muhammad Zafarullah
- Miss Nadia Noor
- Mrs. Nighat Zafar (Retired)
- Mrs. Shaista Memon
- Mr. Salman Rasool
- Mr. Jansher Khan
- Pakistan Studies
- Mr. Zahid Ali Mangi
- Physical Education and Sports
- Mr. Fazal Waheed
- Mrs. Zarqa Sahito
- Prof. Muhammad Mazhar Ul Islam (Head of Department)
- Prof. Asif Raza Zaidi
- Prof. Atiq ur Rehman
- Prof. Moin Zia Siddiqui
- Prof. Muhammad Rizwan
- Prof. Shahzad Muslim Khan
- Dr. Syed Tanweer Iqbal
- Mr. Abdul Majeed
- Mr. Ghulam Qadir Phulpoto
- Mr. Muhammad Shahzad
- Mr. Raheel Ahmed
- Syed Mohsin Abbas
- Mr. Abdul Baari
- Prof. Mirza Shahid Baig
- Mr. Shariq Ahmed Zuberi
- Prof. Irfan Sheikh
- Prof. Muhammad Iqbal Naz
- Prof. Shakeel Ahmed Qureshi
- Mr. Muhammad Tahir Qureshi
- Mr. Muhammad Ghaffar
- Mr. Muhammad Masood
The college offers the admission in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Medical for Intermediate level affiliated to the Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi (B.I.E.K) under CAP - Centralized Admission Policy and for undergraduate level, the combination of any three subjects (i.e. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology). The college also offers admission in three year Bachelor of Computer Science (B.C.S. Semester System) 6 semesters program, affiliated with University of Karachi.
- Mullineux R. Walmsley 1887-1888
- Moses John Jackson 1888-1907
- H.P Ferrell 1908-1916
- A.C Miller 1917-1918
- T.M. Shahani 1918-1927
- N.B Bhutani 1927-1943
- H.M Gorbkhshani 1943-1944
- J.V Lakhani 1944-1946
- Mariwalla, Dharamdas Tekchand, 1946-1947
- A.L. Sheikh 1948-1955
- L.A. deSouza 1955-1961
- J.B. Sidhwa 1961-1967
- Iftekhar Ahmed Ansari 1967-1972
- S.H. Zubairi 1972-1984
- Obaidur Rehman 1984-1985
- Abdul Samad 1985-1986
- Naseem Sheikh 1986 Apr-Jun
- Ziauddin Ahmed 1986 Jul-Sep
- Anwarul Haq Hashmi 1986-1987
- Zaheer Ahmed 1987-1988
- Naseem Ahmed Sheikh 1988-1990
- Sabzwari 1990 Aug-Sep
- Muhammad Qasim Siddiqui 1990-1991
- Abul Wakeel Qureshi 1991
- Muhammad Qasim Siddiqui 1991-1993
- Kamalud Din 1993-1995
- Mazharul Haq 1995-1996
- Dr. Muhammad Sharif Memon 1996-1997
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1997 (as In-charge)
- Asif 1997-1999
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1999-2006
- Hakeemullah Baig Chughtai 2006
- Rizwan haider 2009
- Kamil Shere 1 March 2010 to 5 March 2012
- Syed Afzal Hussain 5 March 2012 to 12 June 2013
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 13 June 2013 to 16 July 2013
- Ghulam Mehdi Blouch 17 July 2013 to 31 March 2014
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 1 April 2014 to 12 August 2014
- Allah Bux Awan 13 August 2014 to 17 October 2014
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad 18 Oct 2014 till present
- Abdul Qadeer Khan (Nuclear Scientist)
- Ashraf Habibullah (President & CEO of Computers and Structures, Inc.)
- Ziaur Rahman (President of Bangladesh)
- Justice S. A. Rabbani(Ex-Judge - Sindh High Court)
- Pirzada Qasim (Ex-Vice Chancellor Karachi University, Vice Chancellor Ziauddin University)
- Zafar Saied Saify (Ex-Vice-Chancellor And HEC Eminent scholar and Visiting Faculty in HEJ)
- Adeebul Hasan Rizvi (Founder SIUT)
- Shahid Masood (Journalist)
- Kamran Ashraf (National hockey player)
- Shahid Ali Khan (National hockey player)
- Sohail Rana (Composer)
- Bashir Syed (Solar Physicist, Research Scientist, NASA)
- Ghulam Hussain Hidayatullah (Ex-Chief Minister of Sindh)
- Dr. Salman Tariq Khan (Scientist, PCSIR)
- Professor Iftikar Muhammad Azmi dies.
- HEC Affiliated Campuses list
- "Dayaram Jethamal's History". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Sindh Arts College, Karachi". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- No stone unturned
- "Dept. of Geology, D. J. College". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Centralized Admission Policy - SECCAP". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Board of Intermediate Education Affiliated College". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "List of Government affiliated College, University of Karachi - Serial No. 14." (PDF). Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Sindh Graduate Association, Islamabad". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS - KARACHI: Admissions to colleges begin from 11th". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS - KARACHI :College principals to get more powers". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "University of Karachi - Voter List, Page #: 2, Serial #: 20" (PDF). Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 5, Serial #: 59" (PDF). Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Prof Allah Bux Awan appointed as Principal of the DJ Sindh Govt. Science College, Karachi (Daily Ummat, Karachi - Urdu)". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 3, Serial #: 22" (PDF). Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Ahamed, Emajuddin (2012). "Rahman, Shahid Ziaur". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Sindh High Court - Justice S. A. Rabbani". Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "H.E.C. Approved Supervisor Personal Profile - Zafar Saied Saify". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "The SIUT Story — Making the ‘Impossible’ Possible launched". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Dr Salman Tariq Khan".
- "ماہر تعلیم پروفیسر افتخار اعظمی طویل علالت کے بعد انتیقال کرگۓ" [Education expert Professor Iftikhar Azmi dies after prolonged illness]. روزنامہ جنگ (in Urdu) (Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan). 23 January 2016.
- Official Facebook Page
- Sindh E-Centralized College Admission Program
- Sindh TV Documentary
- Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi
- University of Karachi
- Department of Higher, Technical Education & Research, Govt. of Sindh
- Higher Education Commission - HEC Recognized Universities and Degree Awarding Institutions