D. J. Sindh Government Science College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Intermediate (Pre-Engineering & Pre-Medical) and undergraduate (B Sc. – Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology)|
|Established||17 January 1887|
|Principal||Prof. Shehzad Muslim Khan (acting / lookafter charge)|
Ziauddin Ahmed Road, Saddar Town, Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan, Karachi, Pakistan,
|Affiliations||Board of Intermediate Education Karachi and University of Karachi|
The college has following premises:
- The Main Building is divided into two main parts. One new portion has the principal's, superintendent's and clerks' offices. In this portion are the departments of Urdu and Statistics on the ground floor and the departments of Islamic Studies and Pakistan Studies on the first floor. The oldest portion of the main building has the departments of Biochemistry, Botany, English & Physics in the ground floor, department of Chemistry, Computer Science & Microbiology and some classrooms in the first floor and department of Zoology in the second floor.
- A. Q. Block has only classrooms; they are specially for first year.
- There is another building on Muhammad bin Qasim Road, behind the main oldest building, it has the Main Library and departments of Mathematics and Geology.
- M.Sc. block is under construction. It is opposite the A. Q. Block.
- State-of-the-art gymnasium is adjacent to the A. Q. Block.
- The principal's bungalow is one of the oldest building. Nowadays, Sindh Textbook Board has occupied this building as camp office.
- Sport Complex is near the P.I.D.C roundabout and opposite the Pearl Continent Hotel. This complex is used for cricket and football.
Faculties / Departments
The college has the following departments:
- Computer Science
- Islamic Studies
- Pakistan Studies
- Physical Education and Sports
The college offers the admission in Pre-Engineering and Pre-Medical for Intermediate level affiliated to the Board of Intermediate Education, Karachi (B.I.E.K) under CAP (Centralized Admission Policy). For undergraduate level, the college offers a combination of from any three of the following subjects (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Statistics, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Botany & Zoology). The college also offers admission in three year Bachelor of Computer Science (B.C.S. Semester System) programme, affiliated to University of Karachi.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Mullineux R. Walmsley 1887–1888
- Moses John Jackson 1888–1907
- H.P Ferrell 1908–1916
- A.C Miller 1917–1918
- T.M. Shahani 1918–1927
- N.B Butani 1927–1943
- H.M Gurbaxani 1943–1944
- J.V Lakhani 1944–1947
- Mariwalla, Dharamdas Tekchand, 1947
- LA de Souza 1955–1961
- JB Sidhwa 1961–1967
- Iftekhar Ahmed Ansari 1967–1972
- SH Zubairi 1972–1984
- Obaidur Rehman 1984–1985
- Abdul Samad 1985–1986
- Naseem Sheikh 1986 Apr–Jun
- Ziauddin Ahmed 1986 Jul–Sep
- Anwarul Haq Hashmi 1986–1987
- Zaheer Ahmed 1987–1988
- Naseem Ahmed Sheikh 1988–1990
- Sabzwari 1990 Aug–Sep
- M Qasim Siddiqui 1990–1991
- Abul Wakeel Qureshi 1991
- M Qasim Siddiqui 1991–1993
- Syed Kamal Uddin 1993–1995
- Mazharul Haq 1995–1996
- Dr. Muhammad Sharif Memon 1996–1997
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1997 (as In-charge)
- Asif 1997–1999
- Ravi Shankar Harani 1999–2006
- Hakeemullah Baig Chughtai 2006
- Syed Rizwan haider taqvi 2009
- Kamil Shere 1 March 2010 to 5 March 2012
- Syed Afzal Hussain 5 March 2012 to 12 June 2013
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 13 June 2013 to 16 July 2013
- Prof Ghulam Mehdi Blouch 17 July 2013 to 31 March 2014
- Dr. Muhammad Arshad (Acting) 1 April 2014 to 12 August 2014
- Prof Allah Bux Awan 13 August 2014 to 17 October 2014
- Prof Dr. Muhammad Arshad 18 Oct 2014 to 20 Dec 2016
- Prof Shehzad Muslim Khan (acting / lookafter charge) 21 December 2016 to 20 September 2017
- Prof Muhammad Saleem 21 September 30 March 2019
- Prof Shehzad Muslim Khan (acting / lookafter charge) 31 March 2019 to date
- Dr. Aamir A. Farooqui (inventor, distinguished computer architect)
- Muhammad Azam (inventor, physicist and amateur astronomer)
- Syed Ghazanfar Agha (Pakistan Motor Racing Champion- 5 years & Country Head of Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, Global Transactions & Cash Management) Senior Executive Vice President, Samba Bank Limited.
- Syed Murad Ali Shah (Chief Minister Sindh, Pakistan)
- Abdul Qadeer Khan (Nuclear Scientist-HEAD Of PAKISTAN NUCLEAR WEAPON PROGRAM)
- Ashraf Habibullah (president and CEO of Computers and Structures, Inc.)
- Ziaur Rahman (president of Bangladesh )
- Pirzada Qasim (ex-vice chancellor Karachi University, vice chancellor Ziauddin University)
- Adeebul Hasan Rizvi (founder SIUT)
- Shahid Masood (journalist)
- Kamran Ashraf (national hockey player)
- Shahid Ali Khan (national hockey player)
- Sohail Rana (composer)
- Ghulam Hussain Hidayatullah (ex-Chief Minister of Sindh)
- K. M. Kundnani (Principal, D.G. National College, 1947 and founder, National College, Mumbai)
- Dr. Muhammad Junaid Qureshi
- Moiz Ullah Baig  (International Scrabble player - Pakistan Scrabble Champion 2018 & World Junior Scrabble Champion 2018)
- Salman, Peerzada (14 June 2009). "No stone unturned". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 30 November 2018.
- "Dept. of Geology, D. J. College". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Centralized Admission Policy – CAP". Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Board of Intermediate Education Affiliated College". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "List of Government affiliated College, University of Karachi – Serial No. 14" (PDF). Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Sindh Graduate Association, Islamabad". Archived from the original on 2 March 2014. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS – KARACHI: Admissions to colleges begin from 11th". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Dawn NEWS – KARACHI :College principals to get more powers". Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "University of Karachi – Voter List, Page #: 2, Serial #: 20" (PDF). Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 5, Serial #: 59" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 February 2014. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Prof Allah Bux Awan appointed as Principal of the DJ Sindh Govt. Science College, Karachi (Daily Ummat, Karachi – Urdu)". Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Senior List, Page #: 3, Serial #: 22" (PDF). Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Famous Scientist Organization". Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Banglapedia – National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh". Archived from the original on 20 October 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "The SIUT Story — Making the 'Impossible' Possible launched". Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Hasan, Shazia (17 December 2013). "Laurels, cheers galore as victorious Pakistan scrabble team". DAWN.COM. Retrieved 8 November 2019.